Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Birth Cert - Adoption Question on Form

Options
  • 03-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

I posted here a long time ago that I was thinking of meeting my BM. We have met and things are going very well, but in the process I have discovered enough information that would allow me to find my birth certificate quite easily.

I know I'm skating on this ice with respect to the relationship with my BM, but part of me feels I have a right to my own birth cert and I would never do anything with it apart from locking it away in a cupboard and in my head I suppose. I'm not at the stage where I want to discuss this with my BM yet, but at the same time I'm so keen to have this little part of myself.

I've looked at the online application form from the welfare.ie GRO site (it would be difficult for me to get to the GRO in person) but there is a mandatory question under the "Details of person whose birth certificate is required" section that says "Has the person for whom the certificate is required been legally adopted?".

Does anyone know the 'real' purpose of this question? Is it to prevent original birth certs being issued for adoptees? I imagine it would not get asked if I went to the GRO in person.

I'm not going to risk this if there's a chance the GRO might contact the adoption agency or my BM; I'd much prefer to be patient and it will happen when it happens.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

That's odd. I just ordered dhs tonight and didn't see that question. I found the details of who can only be him on the new Irish geneaology website and then clicked through to the hse website to order the certificate. I cannot believe I don't have to traipse up to the GRO now! I am going to ring the adoption agency tomorrow to see if they will confirm the surname but as he had his original first name and his surname was the only one which shared birth mothers maiden name I guess it has to be him. It was also the correct area. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Coolmint

Thanks Ghekko, for the info and quick reply.

That must be the 'real' cert then on the hse site; I was trying to get the cheap €4 photocopy from welfare.ie :).

My reasoning is almost identical to yours for your dh; I'm doing it now because of the online records being released. Also I always knew my first name and there's only one record on my DOB with that name. Similarly, for that record my surname and the mother's maiden name matches so it must be me!

It's very surreal - I see the name on the screen but it doesn't really mean anything. I guess I'd just like to have it. At least though having met my BM, I don't have any reason to go snooping about her and I won't use any of her information on the cert to find out anything.

I'm still curious about the other form though; I wonder is there some sinister reason why they ask that question :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Didn't know there was an option for cheaper one! I was so excited to find the entry on the website I just went with the link to GRO. Had I thought about it for 5 mins I would have copped that I could have walked into local registrars office and bought it there and had it sooner. I was looking back to try and find dhs bm birth record and came up with a couple but without confirming that I have the right person I will hold off on doing anymore. Dh is waiting on appointment with sw to start his trace.
    As regards you getting the cert, it's public records so anyone could get it with little information. Don't worry that you are doing anything wrong - I can't understand why adopted people are told they have no right to get it without bm permission! I can't imagine there is any extra info on it anyway, unless she put your fathers details on it and has not told you who he is yet? Even at that I think you should get it anyway and you don't have to tell her if you feel she would be upset or annoyed by it.
    Btw it's lovely to hear you are in touch with her and that it's going well.

Advertisement