Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to address signage issues M9/N25 interchange

Options
  • 03-07-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭

Well as the title says, techionally its in KK but was in a hurry to the train station the other day and used the bypass as it would be quicker. Took the exit after the bridge (exit 2 I think) and coming up to a 3/4 lane roundabout and the signage is just appalling. The first road markings are not until the exit from Wexford side joins the roundabout however if join from Waterford side you normally stay in the inside lane if your going around most of it but then you all of a sudden have to cross 2 or 3 lanes to be correct just seconds before the ext. BTW I was not the driver but it was unbelievable badly signposted, if traffic levels were much higher they would be a lot of accidents.

Anyone else think its badly signed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well as the title says, techionally its in KK but was in a hurry to the train station the other day and used the bypass as it would be quicker. Took the exit after the bridge (exit 2 I think) and coming up to a 3/4 lane roundabout and the signage is just appalling. The first road markings are not until the exit from Wexford side joins the roundabout however if join from Waterford side you normally stay in the inside lane if your going around most of it but then you all of a sudden have to cross 2 or 3 lanes to be correct just seconds before the ext. BTW I was not the driver but it was unbelievable badly signposted, if traffic levels were much higher they would be a lot of accidents.

contact the NRA or you could contact the operator crg go to www.crg.ie for there contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

From streetview the advance directional sign on the eastbound slip road appears to show Waterford as the 3rd exit so I don't see any problem there. The roundabout is designed as a spiral which means that additional lanes are created within the circulatory carriageway to cater for road users wishing to take the 3rd exit. Lane discipline is crucial when negotiating these roundabouts. Rather than looking ahead to where your exit will be, follow the markings and you will be led to the relevant exit (presuming that you entered the roundabout from the correct lane!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Did you get lost and go around the roundabout too many times???? :D

It used to be a pain until they changed the road markings now it fairly straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tonc76 wrote: »
    From streetview the advance directional sign on the eastbound slip road appears to show Waterford as the 3rd exit so I don't see any problem there. The roundabout is designed as a spiral which means that additional lanes are created within the circulatory carriageway to cater for road users wishing to take the 3rd exit. Lane discipline is crucial when negotiating these roundabouts. Rather than looking ahead to where your exit will be, follow the markings and you will be led to the relevant exit (presuming that you entered the roundabout from the correct lane!).

Google maps are from 2009/2010 before the bypass even opened and before the M9 changes etc.

There is no lane markings whatsoever on the roundabout until you reach the slip road coming off Wexford side and only then do you see the correct lane for the R road into Waterford. Now i can't say we were not in the wrong entering the area however not having any lane markings is poor as they should really have markings around the whole roundabout and not just one small section. Google maps does not currently show the slip exit after the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Google maps are from 2009/2010 before the bypass even opened and before the M9 changes etc.

There is no lane markings whatsoever on the roundabout until you reach the slip road coming off Wexford side and only then do you see the correct lane for the R road into Waterford. Now i can't say we were not in the wrong entering the area however not having any lane markings is poor as they should really have markings around the whole roundabout and not just one small section. Google maps does not currently show the slip exit after the bridge.

Are you sure you weren't asleep when driving through it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tonc76 wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't asleep when driving through it? :)

Think I spot a possible mistake however a few road makings at the M9/N24 exit side wouldn't do any harm instead of a few arrows especially the inside lane.

Its well signed either side where the road passes under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i dont see the problem here, i pass thru there daily and my only issue is drivers not sticking to lane on roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That junction is actually quite well marked. If you look at the approach signs, decide what lane you need and stay in it, following the lines, it works.

I use it every day, and most of the problems are caused by people not staying in the lanes or being in the wrong one.

For example, when you approach the M9 roundabout from the Waterford direction, the signs and the road markings clearly instruct one to use the right lane for the motorway, the left lane for the N24.

The number of people I see using the left lane, the outside lane on the roundabout to get to the M9 amazes me. Even truck drivers, who should know better.

The only problem I see with the grannagh roundabout is that, when travelling towards Waterford, but intending to go over the bridge, the layout causes the right indicator to cancel before you reach the Waterford exit. So unless you switch it back on, people waiting to enter the roundabout to go left assume you're going to Waterford and pull out in front of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

That junction is actually quite well marked. If you look at the approach signs, decide what lane you need and stay in it, following the lines, it works.

I use it every day, and most of the problems are caused by people not staying in the lanes or being in the wrong one.

For example, when you approach the M9 roundabout from the Waterford direction, the signs and the road markings clearly instruct one to use the right lane for the motorway, the left lane for the N24.

The number of people I see using the left lane, the outside lane on the roundabout to get to the M9 amazes me. Even truck drivers, who should know better.

The only problem I see with the grannagh roundabout is that, when travelling towards Waterford, but intending to go over the bridge, the layout causes the right indicator to cancel before you reach the Waterford exit. So unless you switch it back on, people waiting to enter the roundabout to go left assume you're going to Waterford and pull out in front of you!

I work in Carrick so I travel the road twice a day and that carry on at the M9 roundabout is so annoying.
    I've contacted the RSA, the NRA and the relevant Council about signage at the M9 roundabout and the Luffany roundabout (another roundabout people are unable to navigate correctly) and was more or less told there's no money for additional signage.

Advertisement