Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Quilty 98FM- The Big Ride Home

• 03-07-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Dara set to leave Spin to take over from Dermot and Dave and will start in August, all info on 98fm website.
    I think its a good move, he says he will be doing it solo too so I wonder what he will be like alone after the few years as a duo on Spin but he was pretty good alone too, looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Dara set to leave Spin to take over from Dermot and Dave and will start in August, all info on 98fm website.
    I think its a good move, he says he will be doing it solo too so I wonder what he will be like alone after the few years as a du on Spin but he was pretty good alone too, looking forward to it

Ha good name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

He is too young for 98fm, Silly name for the show too.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

761.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Confirmed by 98fm's Twitter that he starts Monday at 4 pm. Will be interesting to see what he is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Welcome along dara!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

This doesn't suit the profile of 98fm. He's more suited to the younger audience of Spin. He's not my cup of tea, and I think that he's very smug with a huge ego, but I think that 98fm have dropped the ball on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

This doesn't suit the profile of 98fm. He's more suited to the younger audience of Spin. He's not my cup of tea, and I think that he's very smug with a huge ego, but I think that 98fm have dropped the ball on this one.

He hasn't even started yet. Give it a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Listened to bits'n'pieces only - liked what I heard but tbf had always liked him on Spin anyway. Had a giggle when he read out a gushing Congratulations text or tweet from Eoghan McDermott: "Eoghan says "Dara Quilty's the best young talent on radio in the whole of Ireland"..." - at which point Dan Healey probably spat his coffee out and reached for a blank P45 form... :D

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    He hasn't even started yet. Give it a chance
    I'm basing it upon my experience listening to him on Spin. That's allowed.
    I'm basing it on my expectations. That's allowed.
    I'll keep further consideration about how it goes, which may change in the future. That's allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

What is 98s audience, they are probably moving away from the older listener they targeted before?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm basing it upon my experience listening to him on Spin. That's allowed.
    I'm basing it on my expectations. That's allowed.
    I'll keep further consideration about how it goes, which may change in the future. That's allowed.

Did you listen in on yesterday's show? What was your thoughts?

Loughc wrote: »
    Did you listen in on yesterday's show? What was your thoughts?
    Going to podcast it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soc160 wrote: »
    What is 98s audience, they are probably moving away from the older listener they targeted before?
    not with their music policy there not

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

not with their music policy there not

So who are they targeting then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soc160 wrote: »
    So who are they targeting then?
    their audience is 25 to 34 i believe

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Judging from the 20-30mins I listen when I drive home, Dara Quilty is doing a hell of a lot better than Damien McCaul who was the stand-in guy the previous few weeks. A huge difference.

Don't know about some of the items yet. 'When I was 17' seemed a bit silly, and the bribe bit was very odd. But he'll take time and find whats right for the show.

I'll always long for some Dave's World, Cheese Or Crackers and The Secret Sound though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

iseegirls wrote: »
    Judging from the 20-30mins I listen when I drive home, Dara Quilty is doing a hell of a lot better than Damien McCaul who was the stand-in guy the previous few weeks. A huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

I understood that 98fm were targeting a 25-44 age group Why are they then playing music more reminiscent to FM104 audience of 15-34? I'm no expert on the dynamics of radio demographics, but as an outsider, they need to define their core audience whatever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

I can see this being added to the already long list of mistakes made by 98fm to date, no disrespect to Dara but here is why; the show sounds like exactly something you'd hear on Spin, albeit the music is slightly older. I think what will happen is listeners to Steve K will find Dara, they will like him from his Spin days and start to listen which in turn will have an effect on Spin's book and no real effect anywhere else in the market other than a larger gap to the top.

Overall the station still seems to lack a real identity. It is a pity because the 98fm of the 90's/00's was a giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Overall the station still seems to lack a real identity. It is a pity because the 98fm of the 90's/00's was a giant.

I've only been in Dublin for 2 and a bit years, so I don't know what 98FM was like before. Could you explain where it all went wrong for them? Did DJs leave or go elsewhere?

I can see this being added to the already long list of mistakes made by 98fm to date, no disrespect to Dara but here is why; the show sounds like exactly something you'd hear on Spin, albeit the music is slightly older. I think what will happen is listeners to Steve K will find Dara, they will like him from his Spin days and start to listen which in turn will have an effect on Spin's book and no real effect anywhere else in the market other than a larger gap to the top.

Well, if the listeners turned over from Spin then ye, It would be positive for 98 surely. The breakfast show and the Drive time show are in line with each other now though, targetting younger listeners, Dublin Talks is for the unemployed, stay at home parents etc, then Barry Dunne is for people in offices etc to just listen to.

I think its two seperate demographics they are going for you in a sense, you cant get the same people all the day every day to listen but if you like Ray Foley chances are you'll like Dara Quilty too, and if you are like a majority of the country you'll be working 9-5 or some variation of that, so what's on in between doesn't matter. The schoolyear is about to get into full swing so stations can pick up new listeners now.

Then the other problem is ...if you don't like Foley, then goodbye 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I think Dara Quilty has started well and he's playing some serious tunes! Loving the show so far and much better than than what Dermot & Dave had been doing towards the end. 98FM has improved leaps and bounds in the last year, just wish Foley was able to be more himself in the mornings and have less bits to do. The Big Ride Home though is what you want from a drive-time show, lots of good music and a bit of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

I understood that 98fm were targeting a 25-44 age group Why are they then playing music more reminiscent to FM104 audience of 15-34? I'm no expert on the dynamics of radio demographics, but as an outsider, they need to define their core audience whatever that may be.

It's a much better station than 2 years ago

I think they sound good to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

where is the'when i was 17' slot gone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

where is the'when i was 17' slot gone?

It's on at 4.30 instead of 5.30

cool
    il be missing it so!

cool
    il be missing it so!

As do I, I used to like listening to When I was 17 on my walk home from work in the evenings. I wonder why the moved it, must be a ratings ploy.

same here, used to listen to it on way home. kind of miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Seems 98fm is morphing more and more into spin everyday, yesterday evening I tuned in to the big ride home and it was Dara, Brian and Rebecca from news on spin chatting away. While I have no problem with this I just don't understand what 98fm are trying to be anymore, first they brought in Ryan seacrests show, the that adrian Kennedy muck, and then cooper and Luke who sound like they would be at home in spin.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Seems 98fm is morphing more and more into spin everyday, yesterday evening I tuned in to the big ride home and it was Dara, Brian and Rebecca from news on spin chatting away. While I have no problem with this I just don't understand what 98fm are trying to be anymore, first they brought in Ryan seacrests show, the that adrian Kennedy muck, and then cooper and Luke who sound like they would be at home in spin.

Don't understand that myself considering spin is also owned by Communicorp. what is the point of them competing with themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭chilloutrelax

FrostyJim wrote: »

I agree. Even some of the weekend presneters are Spin or ex Spin.

98 and Spin should be two distinct brands - recognising that branding is more than a logo! They will canabolise each other over time...where is the commuicorp oversight. FM104 and Q102 are ina simailr buisness relationship - they are very different and presenters or style do not overlap.