Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Visa Debit cover lost or stolen electronics after initial purchase?

Options
  • 03-07-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am on holiday in Sicily at the moment and my girlfriend either lost my Nexus 7 tablet or left it down somewhere, the latter of which is unlikely.

A Dutch couple told us last night that Visa covered an Apple MacBook that they lost or had stolen from them in the past. Is there anyway Visa Debit has similar insurance and I could claim for the stolen tablet? If relevant it was purchased slightly around 4 months ago.

We have been back to everywhere we were, had CCTV checked, and even spoken to the taxi driver that dropped us to the hotel. The hotel rang the police and it seemed they found the receptionist's question funny. I can track the GPS using Google Location History and Android Device Manager but there are no records since the afternoon of the evening we last had it as the device only has WiFi connectivity and nobody can connect it to WiFi as the screen is locked, or the battery is dead, or they have erased the the device in which case tracking will not work.

Someone forgot to sign up for cheap travel insurance when she was ordering the tickets!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Firstly I don't think travel insurance would have covered you unless you had a very good policy. Most Theft cover is for baggage whilst in transit by airline.

As far as I can remember the credit card insurance covers you on the day it was purchased from the time of purchase to the time you get home. After that it is yur home insurance that covers it, if you have all risks insurance, however the excess on the policy is probably €250, so maybe its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it doesn't. They may have had insurance from their card provider but none in Ireland offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think credit card providers in Ireland offer insurance. Ring and ask though.

Our credit card providers are pretty tight when it comes to extras that are readily available in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Definitely not for Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks. Going forward I am going to insure my gadgets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement