Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norinco firearms

Options
  • 03-07-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does anyone stock them in the republic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I've seen a few on dealers shelves over the years , what one are you looking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Im looking for their copy of the Winchester 1897 shotgun. I have seen a few originals in the uk but they're a bit expensive .

chiappa do the same gun, i don't know what quality is like, but chiappa seems to be a lot more common here than norinco.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/82

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I handled and fired a Norinco copy of a 1911 Colt once. Pure dung as far as I could tell. We were shooting Fiocchi factory ammo and out of the two boxes fired there were at least 10 stoppages due to feeding and extracting failures. Gun was thoroughly cleaned and all bits and pieces were in place. If their shotguns are as good I'd steer well clear.

rowa wrote: »
    chiappa do the same gun, i don't know what quality is like, but chiappa seems to be a lot more common here than norinco.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/82
    The chiappa is the model 1887 a nice looking gun but im looking for the model 1897 a pump action.
    Norinco seem to get mixed reviews from our friends in the states but over all the reviews ive seen for their model 1897 were mostly positive.With regards to their colt
    I have noticed that guns made in commie countries tend to be picky with ammo. Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Do they make them with a 24in+ barrel? Might be a problem for you if they don't, shorter one would be restricted.

The chiappa is the model 1887 a nice looking gun but im looking for the model 1897 a pump action.
    Norinco seem to get mixed reviews from our friends in the states but over all the reviews ive seen for their model 1897 were mostly positive.With regards to their colt
    I have noticed that guns made in commie countries tend to be picky with ammo. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry my mistake, i thought it was the lever action not the trench gun you were looking for. I seen an original 1897 in tallaght r&g many years ago, i think it was an ric/ruc gun.
    The americans do slag off anything not made in america imho, no matter how good the guns actually are. Norinco's cannot be imported into america anyway as they were specifically banned by bush or clinton after a sting, however in canada norincos are extremely popular.

Blay wrote: »
    Do they make them with a 24in+ barrel? Might be a problem for you if they don't, shorter one would be restricted.

Im open to correction but i think a 24 inch version is available for UK and ROI im sure one could be modified slightly in some fashion to make it acceptable here
    I would consider an original but they don't come cheap .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Had a Norinco MAK 90 California post ban model,and TBH if it wasnt for the gross thumbhole stock ,it was a fine gun that went Bang when the trigger was pulled no matter what rubbish ammo was in it.Thing I liked about the Norinco was its reciver was a milled reciver while all the Russian models were stamped recivers.

Norinco got a rough ride in the US mostly because of its M14 copy,and it was partially justified at the time as the recivers werent properly hardned and were losing headspace at an alarming rate.They were eventually banned under Mr Klintoons idea of sanctions against China and because his "1994 Crime control bill" with the church burners in the ATF decided that any future imports of semi rifles had to have a "sporting purpose".Rumour also has it that a few Norincos arrived still with full auto capability.Possible as Norinco is one of Chinas main military arms supplier,so someone maybe made up the missing numbers by using a few military AKs.

Ironically the US 1911 shooters LOVED the Norinco, which was a step up from theAmerican made Auto Ordinance Corp [The makers of the Thompson Semi auto]model 1911,so that was saying something.Reason,it had a forged steel reciver,when at the time your choice for that was Colt or Colt and big money in the pre elapsed patent Colt Model 1911 days,or hunt up a halfway decent EX GI issue military frame,for a somwhat cheaper option.It allowed people to build various different model 1911s from race guns to everyday carry guns for pennies on the dollar.They work and worked as there are plenty of 1911 pistol smiths in the US and plenty of spare parts to make them better.
    However once Colts patent elapsed the flood gates opened and every man and his dog were making Model 1911s,it ended the need for cheap Chinese Colt 1911 lookalikes.Likewise the MAK 90,when there are now exellent "made in America" semi aKs to be had,that have butt stocks designed for caucasians and not orientals.:D

The Norinco 1897 pump is becoming a big hit on the cowboy action shoot scene.

As the original Winchester 1897 riot gun is becoming a rather valuable gun to shoot all the time,plus it has one not very PC feature.It can be slam fired.IE hold back the trigger and work the pump and it will fire once in battery,as it has no trigger disconnector.The Norinco doesnt have that feature.:p.It is somewhat "rougher" in the slide action to the Winchester,but it apprently smooths out over time or with some help with some emery cloth and patience when the parts are polished up.By and large its supposed to be as good as the Winchester for durability.
    FWICS.Norinco is and was a company that made guns with old fashioned materials ,wood and steel ,maybe not the best wood or steel as the M14 proved and using manual labour.Hence it might explain their roughness compared to Western guns,but they were cheap and cheerful and went bang... Most of the times.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Im open to correction but i think a 24 inch version is available for UK and ROI im sure one could be modified slightly in some fashion to make it acceptable here
    I would consider an original but they don't come cheap .

Indeed,you could get a 4in cylinder bore choke tube and permantly affix[IE Weld or solder] it to the muzzle to bring it up to length.Or a 4in "muzzle break" or recoil compensator will do it too.
    You'd buy two Norincos,and a load of ammo for what one good Winchester 1897 would cost these days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

The m14's with the soft receivers were very early models grizz, the later ones are supposed to be great rifles and fantastic value for money. They are hugely popular in canada. Norinco make all sorts of firearms with no concern it seems to patent laws or anything like that.

The european agent for norinco is in germany, should be relatively easy to get a gun sent over.

http://www.norconia.de/w/?cat=42

Think they get away with it Rowa as all their guns are elapsed patents.
    EG the 18887, 1897 Winchester,
    Copy of the Mauser rifle,Colt Woodsman .22 pistol,model 1911,the M14,etc.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Think they get away with it Rowa as all their guns are elapsed patents.
    EG the 18887, 1897 Winchester,
    Copy of the Mauser rifle,Colt Woodsman .22 pistol,model 1911,the M14,etc.

Yeah grizz, but they do a rip off of the sig p226 and they are selling it ! In germany !

http://www.norconia.de/w/?cat=38

Who is the best dealer to get something like this in ROI

rowa wrote: »
    Yeah grizz, but they do a rip off of the sig p226 and they are selling it ! In germany !

http://www.norconia.de/w/?cat=38

BET you will find like all good Chinese copies there is one or two subtle differences that are enough to allow them to sail so close to the legal wind that they will get away with it.;) They do this with virtually everything,change the design slightly and market it under a differenthome brand.So long as they dont call it SIG there is SFA that can be done about it.

Who is the best dealer to get something like this in ROI

Dont think there is anyone in the ROI dealing with Norinco....UK or Germany is proably your best bet.

I've seen some of their .22 rifles on dealers shelves from time to time so someone must be getting them in.

Advertisement