Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get eFiber?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

swiftblade wrote: »
    So, I'm moving into a new house soon enough, but I just want to check what I can actually get. Don't have a phone number, and there's no number on the house. 

Any chance you could tell me from a map? I do know it's inside the efiber enambled area, but just want to be sure. :) 

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/54%C2%B000%2718.9%22N+6%C2%B027%2702.0%22W/@54.0057479,-6.44928,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Thanks!

Hi swiftblade

Unfortunately this area is not covered by efibre. [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Coverage and availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, unlike regular broadband where it's available upon exchange upgrade - there is no efibre cabinet in range to offer this address efibre broadband and unfortunately there is none planned either.[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

So, I'm moving into a new house soon enough, but I just want to check what I can actually get. Don't have a phone number, and there's no number on the house.

Any chance you could tell me from a map? I do know it's inside the efiber enambled area, but just want to be sure. :)

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/54%C2%B000%2718.9%22N+6%C2%B027%2702.0%22W/@54.0057479,-6.44928,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Thanks!

Hi swiftblade

Unfortunately this area is not covered by efibre. Coverage and availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, unlike regular broadband where it's available upon exchange upgrade - there is no efibre cabinet in range to offer this address efibre broadband and unfortunately there is none planned either.

Thanks
    Al
    Ah, I see.

Thanks for the help. :)

Edit: On a side note, do you have any idea what the speed would be like with just regular broadband?

Thanks!

Hi swiftblade

Unfortunately this area is not covered by efibre. Coverage and availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, unlike regular broadband where it's available upon exchange upgrade - there is no efibre cabinet in range to offer this address efibre broadband and unfortunately there is none planned either.

Thanks
    Al
    Ah, I see.

Edit: On a side note, do you have any idea what the speed would be like with just regular broadband?
    Hi Swiftblade,

It would not be possible to offer an indication of what speeds to expect with regular broadband unless there is a line in place which we could test.
    If you have a neighbours number (which is close by) I might be able to offer an indication by that?

Thanks
    Al

Thanks!

Hi swiftblade

Thanks
    Al
    Ah, I see.

Hi Swiftblade,

It would not be possible to offer an indication of what speeds to expect with regular broadband unless there is a line in place which we could test.
    If you have a neighbours number (which is close by) I might be able to offer an indication by that?

Thanks
    Al
    I actually don't. :/

I can take it I will be able to get some sort of broadband though? I won't be stuck with dial-up or something silly like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Is there a map showing where it's available?

I'm in killoughter , galway. Is it available here yet?

(Sorry for hijacking thread op)

• Advertisement

The map isn't really an accurate reflection of whether you can get it or not. I'm for example inside the area that it says you can get eFiber in, yet can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Go here and click check availability. Pop in your number or address and it should see  you sorted 
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23 

Thanks!

Hi swiftblade

Thanks
    Al
    Ah, I see.

Hi Swiftblade,

Thanks
    Al
    I actually don't. :/

I can take it I will be able to get some sort of broadband though? I won't be stuck with dial-up or something silly like that?

Hi Swiftblade,

There is no way that broadband can be guaranteed until there is a working line to test, so getting a line installed does include a risk that it may not be able to hold broadband for example if it's too far from the exchange or the area is covered by an exchange which is not broadband enabled.

Al

What about killoughter galway Alan?

What about killoughter galway Alan?

Hi Chancer3001

Broadband is available in Killoughter although the line must still be checked beofree eircom can guarantee broadband.

The speeds in killoughter are quite slow though, the max broadband speed available is 1.5MB - this is because lines in Killoughter are served by the Mervue exchange and that’s quite a distance away.

Al

• Advertisement

I have (very slow) broadband with ye at the moment. Are there plans to upgrade to e fibre out here??

I have (very slow) broadband with ye at the moment. Are there plans to upgrade to e fibre out here??

Hi Chancer3001

There's no plans to bring efibre there yet but hopefully we will have better news in the future. The main issue your area faces is it's distinct disadvantage of being quite far from the mervue exchange. The further your line is from the exchange the slower the speeds will be. There are no plans to develop a new exchange so at this moment in time I'm unable to offer you an indication of when you can expect an improvement I'm sorry to say

Thanks
    Al

Hmmmmm. Not a great response, bit much to be paying 50 euro a month for broadband that's too slow to watch YouTube ....

Surely it should be cheaper for those of us too far away from your exchange?

Hmmmmm. Not a great response, bit much to be paying 50 euro a month for broadband that's too slow to watch YouTube ....

Surely it should be cheaper for those of us too far away from your exchange?
    I take it you are roughly from the same area? What's your speed like? I know you say it's bad, but how bad? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

Hi Alan,
    l live in Newcastlewest and l am broadband eircom customer, l know e-fiber is coming to Newcastlewest inJuly. Can you please advise what is upload speed on e_fiber.
    I need download speed 6 mbps and 2 upload speed for my work hopefully e-fiber can provide this.

Thank you

Hi Alan,
    l live in Newcastlewest and l am broadband eircom customer,  l know e-fiber is coming to Newcastlewest inJuly.  Can you please advise what is  upload  speed on e_fiber.
    I need download speed 6 mbps and 2 upload speed for my work hopefully e-fiber can provide this.

Thank you
    Hi Newcastlewest

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]The availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets (which service specific areas within the shaded green zone on the map) unlike regular broadband where it is available upon exchange upgrade where all lines connected to the exchange qualify - in consideration I can confirm that not all homes and areas of Newcastle west will be able to avail of an efibre upgrade right away as works to rollout cabinets will be planned to continue in to the furure. Also, speeds are determined on distance from the cabinet itself - the max range is 2000mtrs but even at this range the speeds should be more than 6MB down and around 2MB up - the max speeds available if in close proximity to a cabinet is 100MB down and 15 to 20MB up.
    [/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]If you would like to PM me your current landline number or specific address I'll check the plans to see if I can offer you an indication of when efibre might be available to you.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Al
    [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Only buy a house in urban areas. High speed broadband is too expensive to roll out in rural areas.

If you live in a rural area and want high speed broadband, you need to sell your house and move to an urban area, or pay for the installation your self, which could cost tens of thousands of euro.

Alternatively, you could check if there's a WISP (wireless internet service provider) in the area, but most of there a shíte. Here's a map to help you find WISPs in your area: http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/

Hi Alan,
    l live in Newcastlewest and l am broadband eircom customer,  l know e-fiber is coming to Newcastlewest inJuly.  Can you please advise what is  upload  speed on e_fiber.

Thank you
    Hi Newcastlewest

The availability of efibre is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets (which service specific areas within the shaded green zone on the map) unlike regular broadband where it is available upon exchange upgrade where all lines connected to the exchange qualify - in consideration I can confirm that not all homes and areas of Newcastle west will be able to avail of an efibre upgrade right away as works to rollout cabinets will be planned to continue in to the furure. Also, speeds are determined on distance from the cabinet itself - the max range is 2000mtrs but even at this range the speeds should be more than 6MB down and around 2MB up - the max speeds available if in close proximity to a cabinet is 100MB down and 15 to 20MB up.

If you would like to PM me your current landline number or specific address I'll check the plans to see if I can offer you an indication of when efibre might be available to you.

Thanks
    Al

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Newcastlewest

Thanks for your PM

I can confirm efibre is launching in your area from the 6th of August, I've also tested your line which is indicating that the max download speed will be up to 50MB - Although upload speed can never be guaranteed this should serve an upload speed of anything between up to 5 & 15MB.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Limerick Rebel

Hi Alan,

Thank you
    I made simiar enquiries this morning and I live just outside Newcastewest but within the green area shown on the online map. I was tod that e-fibre will not be available to me any time soon, certainy not this year. I too was holding out for a July launch. I notice the on-line map has changed and now there is no information about when it will be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Alan,

Thank you
    I made simiar enquiries this morning and I live just outside Newcastewest but within the green area shown on the online map. I was tod that e-fibre will not be available to me any time soon, certainy not this year. I too was holding out for a July launch. I notice the on-line map has changed and now there is no information about when it will be available.
    Hi Limerick Rebel

At the moment the launch date for efibre in Newcastlewest is to be confirmed. The dates on the efibre map are indicative only and subject to change as there are a number of factors at the Eircom Wholesale level which can lead to launch dates changing. However as the efibre map on the webpage only contains in its shaded areas, those areas that are due to be enabled before January 2015, it is now likely that Newcastlewest will not be enabled until after this date.

Colm

• Advertisement
Advertisement