Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic offence in citizenship/naturalization form 8

Options
  • 03-07-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Have a question on Irish naturalization application form.

the question is ....

"Do you have any convictions in the state or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgements made against you? (yes/no)"

I had a fine driving at the red light in another EU country. But it did NOT go through court etc. Just paid the fine and that's it.

I wonder, is this counted as a traffic offence which I have to mention here?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have a question on Irish naturalization application form.

the question is ....

"Do you have any convictions in the state or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgements made against you? (yes/no)"

I had a fine driving at the red light in another EU country. But it did NOT go through court etc. Just paid the fine and that's it.

I wonder, is this counted as a traffic offence which I have to mention here?

Any ideas?

It probably depends on which other EU country, but in both the UK and here, fixed-penalty offences don't lead to a conviction and criminal record (unless you fail to pay them).

(Not a lawyer, and this advice is worth approximately what you paid for it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blackbelted

Thanks a lot oscarBravo, I thought the same. Will probably need to check it with a lawyer etc to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Thanks a lot oscarBravo, I thought the same. Will probably need to check it with a lawyer etc to make sure.

A lawyer for what? The question asks do you have any convictions, its a yes no answer and if yes specify...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I recently got my Irish Citizenship. I had two fines for driving with unpaid motor tax and one for speeding. I had receipts for two of the fines, none for the other as it was several years ago. I detailed them on the application form and enclosed the recipets as evidence of payment. All up my citizenship approval took approx 5mths.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

OP, unless you went to court, you have not been convicted. It would be unrealistic to give the term any broader a definition than that, even for the GNIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

OP

You have given us the text of question 11.2 but have not included 11.1 which asks whether you have committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any other country.

The question on convictions is the follow up.

Certainly, for the comparator UK process an applicant must disclose parking tickets (which many would regard as extremely minor) as well as fixed charge offences such as breaking red lights, speeding etc.

I'm not sure how you gave to answer the question and I think you should get some assistance (eg migrant rights alliance etc).

The purpose of the section is to determine good character. Disclosure of a minor matter may not be a problem. A failure to disclose something minor but which subsequently shows up on a search (perhaps unlikely here) is a bigger issue.

Advertisement