Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about going into first year ...

• 03-07-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Someone told me that you'll struggle in college if you don't have friends. I find it hard to make friends and I'm afraid that I'll have a terrible college experience because of this.
    I don't enjoy going out/clubbing. How many times a week do college students go out?

Also, what accommodation would you recommend? Is it better to live in an 8 or a 4 person house?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

CB___ wrote: »
    Someone told me that you'll struggle in college if you don't have friends. I find it hard to make friends and I'm afraid that I'll have a terrible college experience because of this.
    I don't enjoy going out/clubbing. How many times a week do college students go out?

Also, what accommodation would you recommend? Is it better to live in an 8 or a 4 person house?

Thanks

The beauty about college is you don't need to go clubbing or go to pubs to make friends.
    There will by plenty of society's, different people and characters of all walks of life.
    It might talk a bit of time and adjustment but if you stay 'open' you will make friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

I'm not great at making friends myself, and don't particularly enjoy the clubbing scene but tolerate it from time to time. As WhatNowForUs said above, there are always plenty of clubs and societies to suit a variety of interests and they're always a great way of meeting new people. But even outside of that, most people in your new course won't know many people either and will be nervous about making new friends. Personally I'd usually find it hard to strike up a conversation with someone new but when you share something in common then it's easier to start talking about that.

As regards going out, it really varies depending on the individual, some will go out a few nights a week, some will go out maybe just on the main student night, and some won't go out at all, or only very occasionally.

I've lived in a 4 person house and a 5 person house over the last two years and they were fine. I don't think it makes too much difference, if you're someone who likes to have your own space I guess a house with less people is better. You can always just retreat to your bedroom anyway.

Advertisement