Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Baptismal Cert Spanish to English Request

Options
  • 03-07-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey

Just wondering if someone could do me a Massive favour and try translate this very old Argentinian Baptismal Cert .. I can't copy and paste the text to try and use google translate so am kinda stuck,

any help would be a great help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If its for official purposes it needs to be translated by a translator and the translation certified. One or two parts a little obscured by ink over text. It's in fairly formal language as you might expect.

Don & Doña are something like Sir/Madam. Very formal, it's not a name as in short for Donald. Street addresses here are written with the name first and number 2nd. So 20 Wood Street looks like calle Wood 20. Doing this on the fly for you, so it won't be perfect...but hopefully it gives you what you need.

Religion: Catholic. Address: Ayacucho 619. Her/ His Godparent being Don (can't quite make out the name) birthplace: Buenos Aires, 28 years old, address (the godparent) Vicente Lopez 151 and (details follow for the second godparent) Doña Roja Berisso, birthplace Italy, 40 years old. Address Melo (Inelo, hard to make out) 80, who have been told along with the parents that they are responsible for the spiritual parenthood of the god son, and of the reponsibility of teaching him in the christian doctrine. To show the truth of their intention they have signed below.

The Parish Priest: (signatures below) ...will look at the 2nd page now.

Book of Baptisms of the Parish of (looks like something Socorro..not sure) year of 1886.

On the 6th of August in the year of our lord 1886, the (cant read this, if its a name of 1 or more person, not sure) and with license given by the undersigned the Priest of the Parish of "Nuestra Senora de la Socorra" do solemnly baptise, put oil and christen Anastacia Maria Elisa (down the side of the page has her full name, including surname "Rocher" of female sex , born on the 12th of July of this year at 6.30pm in the municipality of the Capital (i.e Buenos Aires) of the nation, Argentina. First child (legitimate) of the marriage of C(cant read this) Rocher, native of Wexford, Ireland (of the English nation !!)36 yrs old. Profession: Labourer, religion Catholic. He knows how to read, write. And of (details of the mother) Doña Elisa Rocher , native of Wexford, Ireland, England nation, 26 yrs old.

Any questions, let me know.

I know where Ayacucho street & Vicente Lopez are for the godparents, dont see other addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Thanks a milion Pie , that's exactly what I was looking for .

Just one last question ,

Does the address Address: Ayacucho 619 relate to the God parents or to the parents Thomas & Ellen Roche ??

as i read it, it is the address of the subject of the birth cert,i.e the child.

Ayacucho 619 is right beside what is now De La Salle school

Advertisement