Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'So'

Options
  • 03-07-2014 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

What's this new trend of answering questions with. "So..."

As in .

"What are the plans for your company ?"

"So we plan to expand and....."

What's all this about and where did it spring up from.

Viral on all the Talk radio stations .

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What's this new trend of answering questions with. "So..."

As in .

"What are the plans for your company ?"

"So we plan to expand and....."

What's all this about and where did it spring up from.

Viral on all the Talk radio station .

?

So, it came from a tendency towards excessive explanatory condescension, a tendency to explain things you understood the first time in a different form and eventually that "so" clarification made its way into the first explanation. So basically it comes from condescending people over explaining things to people who already understand it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Billy Suffolk

So, it came from a tendency towards excessive explanatory condescension, a tendency to explain things you understood the first time in a different form and eventually that "so" clarification made its way into the first explanation. So basically it comes from condescending people over explaining things to people who already understand it.

Oooooo. Kay...I kind of get you, but why has it jumped up in the last year?

Its being used to answer questions, not in the traditional sense to give a reason for an act.

"I closed the windows,so wouldn't be in a draught"

Now it's " So I went out last night and met this ....."

No need for the 'so'

Where did this crud spring from.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oooooo. Kay...I kind of get you, but why has it jumped up in the last year?

Its being used to answer questions, not in the traditional sense to give a reason for an act.

"I closed the windows,so wouldn't be in a draught"

Now it's " So I went out last night and met this ....."

No need for the 'so'

Where did this crud spring from.?

I was just giving a joke answer. Americans have been doing it for years, I guess that's where it's from. Why is always tricky with language. It just happens, and usually annoys people used to how things were before the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, WE don't use it in our house.

I have a tendency to put 'eh' on the end of a sentence, but that's just me, eh?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

tac foley wrote: »
    I have a tendency to put 'eh' on the end of a sentence, but that's just me, eh?...
    You and most Canadians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

fonzie-736286.jpg

:D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, WE don't use it in our house.

... and "Well, ..." at the start. Same thing, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

So has been common in Hiberno English for decades. It seems to have moved from there to Silicon Valley and as usual the kind of people who dislike new language usage they are told to dislike dislike it. Even when it's not in fact new.

Alun wrote: »
    ... and "Well, ..." at the start. Same thing, really.

You bin keeping track of my posts then, eh?

You one of them internet stalkers?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

You bin keeping track of my posts then, eh?

You one of them internet stalkers?

tac

Maybe he quoted a post where you put Well at the start.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, could be, eh?

You realise, of course, that in this instance I am writing in a form of recorded narrative - I do not actually write 'eh' on the end of each sentence. I hope that is understood. ;)

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Grace Park's character on Hawaii Five-0 uses it all the time..."So I <insert technobabble here>" as she deftly manipulates the huge Microsoft surface table which involves some hollywood-esque image manipulation or solving problems that normally need a supercomputer to crack (instead of the glorified laptop with a huge touch screen that it is). I'm not sure which annoys me more; the over-use of "So" or the unrealistic computing used to move the plot along.

Advertisement