Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse passport- white cards

Options
  • 03-07-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hope to buy horse next week-
    It is genuine- , after the 5 stage vetting and if it goes ok I will purchase-

Today I enquired if there was a pasaport for horse- there is not.

I understand that if you want to enter competitions I think you need a white card?
    If so , how do you go about it and what are the approx costs involved

Many thanks

Paddy.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

What competitions?

Young lad only 13 at the moment its just doing inter livery basic jumping but if he gets this horse early next week he should improve dramatically and then I hope he will involve himself more competitively and I just wonder will he need white passport or similar thks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I was under the impression that all horses now need a passport and that it should be with the horse at all times, and when being transported. If I were purchasing the horse, I would ask that a passport be applied for before taking the horse.

There's a link to the Dept of Agriculture guidelines here: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingsectors/horses/equineregistrationandpassports/EquineIdentificationLeaflet310113.PDF

The other 'governing bodies', such as HSI, SJI, Eventing Ireland, Weatherbys, etc. will also have information specific to their requirements on their relevant websites.

Best of luck with the vetting!

convert wrote: »
    I waamunder the impression that all horses now need a passport and that it should be with the horse at all times, and when being transported. If I were purchasing the horse, I would ask that a passport be applied for before taking the horse.

There's a link to the Dept of Agriculture guidelines here: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingsectors/horses/equineregistrationandpassports/EquineIdentificationLeaflet310113.PDF

The other 'governing bodies', such as HSI, SJI, Eventing Ireland, Weatherbys, etc. will also have information specific to their requirements on their relevant websites.

Best of luck with the vetting!

Grand- I will talk to the vet re- markings/passport I think its only 20 quid or so-
    The owner is fierce obliging eg he gave me horse box loan and will whenever I need it - he is decent I have no problem with covering this cost ......thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

There is also new legislation that came into affect as from July 1st, so just to be aware of it - full info can be found here;

Transfer of ownership – Legal Requirement from July 1st 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

/\/\/\
    just echoing post above, the process of buying horses changes start on july, the seller must give you passport and also sign other forms. have you paid for horse already?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Horse should be micro-chipped and have passport before you purchase it and as above, the new leglislation has also come into play as of 1st July so all of this is the law and you should consider it before buying the horse. Why hasn't the current owner got a passport for the horse in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

The law has changed since the 1st of July and the horse should be microchipped and have a passport. The owner should have the passport- if the horse has been microchipped the chip number should have been attached to the relevant area on the passport. Get onto your vet asap about this. Make sure the vet checks for the micro chip and makes sure there is only one chip in the horse, especially if the horse has had more than one owner. This is the vets responsibility to ensure theres only one chip and passport but make sure you inform the vet of all the relevant details and its his/her head on the chopping board if anything is incorrect! :)

Ya all done and dusted all well now thks

Advertisement