Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afternoon Tea in Dublin

Options
  • 03-07-2014 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Looking to buy a gift for someone and was thinking Afternoon Tea for 2 in Dublin or surrounding are would be a nice gesture.

Any recommendations on best Afternoon Tea in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't have extensive experiences to draw on, but would be hard to beat the Merrion Hotel. They do an "art" afternoon tea based on the artwork in the hotel (which is worth a visit for itself), and it's really quite amazing.

We've done it as a family pre-Christmas thing a few years, and it's really, really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Chief Zip

Will Check it out thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Op I'd recommend the Merrion its the best I've found so far in Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A friend has done a few with her mum but their favourite is the Shelbourne, that's the one they go back to after trying others :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I got the afternoon tea in the Shelbourne as a present for a few people a few months ago and they absolutely loved it. Said it was great, really nice setting.

miamee wrote: »
    A friend has done a few with her mum but their favourite is the Shelbourne, that's the one they go back to after trying others :)
    I got the afternoon tea in the Shelbourne as a present for a few people a few months ago and they absolutely loved it. Said it was great, really nice setting.

Prior to trying the Merrion, we had afternoon tea in the Shelbourne (again, a family outing with our mother) - it was in the year after it re-opened after it's mega-refit. It was a cluster**** of gigantic proportions - eye-wateringly expensive, table (which had been booked and we'd told them there was a mother and new baby coming) wasn't available when we arrived so we were shunted into the bar, table when we eventually got it was too small for the party, there was an unmerciful cold draught from a vent in the wall near us which they eventually covered with a tablecloth after repeated requests, they fecked up almost every order we gave (coffee instead of tea etc), and to cap it all, at the end one of the chairs we were sitting on fell apart! And all of this was for the princely sum of about 50 quid a head.

Will never do that again!

Now admittedly, that's a few years ago. They may have got their act together in the meantime.

But the Merrion was a whole different league. And half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Sounds like a terrible experience alright! To be fair, they are pretty much the same price now afaik. Shelbourne was €37ish a head. My granny got a great kick out of the library that they could walk around afterwards as well apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have never been to the westin but it was also highly recommended to me. They do a mad batters tea with cocktails in the tea pot a.d pop rocks in the cakes which my friend loved.

I went to the shelbourne last year and was so disappointed. The sandwiches were almost stale, as if they had been made that morning and left uncovered. The surroundings were beautiful but the food was not exciting or outstanding at all, and service was very poor, we had to get up to go looking for a staff member. So not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City forum as the locals can provide better advice than random foodies.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bon Appetit in Malahide was by far the best for me, Michelin Star, gorgeous room and walk in malahide afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I gave my mother a gift of afternoon tea for 2 in the Shelbourne hotel. She brought her friend and they absolutely loved it. 65 euro for both IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

My girlfriend brought her mother to the Westin on Westmoreland Street for afternoon tea a couple of months ago, she said it was great value and the service was quality. She highly recommended it, they were stuffed leaving the place!

She had heard a horror story about the Shelbourne from a work colleague in regards to the service etc, so she avoided that when she was looking to make a booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I brought my mother and her best friend to afternoon tea in the Westbury last week. They had a lovely time window shopping in BTs, then to the tea.

It was just fabulous.... Lovely tasty finger sandwiches, beautiful scones, fantastic patisserie. As much tea and coffee as they could possibly consume, and then when leaving a presentation box of fine chocolate to come home. We spent nearly three hours over the tea and could nearly move at the end.

But it was pricy, €42 per person, but as a birthday treat it was fantastic.

Speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Loved the Shelbourne but last weekend we went to Ariel House in Ballsbridge and it was totally delightful, amazing food, awesome service and only €17.95 per person. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I was a little disappointed by the Shelbourne, for me the Westin is amazing every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Gresham is €25 a head. Quite respectable. How does the service compare to Merrion / Westin, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Another +1 for the Westin, the food was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for the Westbury

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

The Gibson do a fantatic afternoon tea - it's not on their website I don't think, but we made a request for one before (large group) and they had a fantastic spread for €19 pp. Worth checking out!

Heard Westin is also meant to be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Been to Merrion and Shelbourne over the last 3 years with family visiting from the US. Both excellent but Merrion that much more refined and posh. Would highly recommend either.

I will NOT go for tea at the Westbury at those insane tourist ripoff prices. They should definitely not be charging more than the Art Tea at the 5 star Merrion Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was looking for somewhere for Sat, 15th Nov- Westin, Merrion both booked out already. Westbury afternoon tea begins at €45!!!! She said with a straight face prices go up as it's the festive menu for Nov and Dec.

The Gibson are going to call me back. Anywhere else people would recommend. Or fail that, any plush, very relaxing cafes with great food for somewhere to chill out for an hour or so?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

dinneenp wrote: »
    I was looking for somewhere for Sat, 15th Nov- Westin, Merrion both booked out already. Westbury afternoon tea begins at €45!!!! She said with a straight face prices go up as it's the festive menu for Nov and Dec.

The Gibson are going to call me back. Anywhere else people would recommend. Or fail that, any plush, very relaxing cafes with great food for somewhere to chill out for an hour or so?
    Thanks.

The Westin hotel is the best I have ever been to. It's served in their Atrium Lounge, and the staff are lovely. We got the "most peculiar afternoon tea" which served gin mojitos in a teapot. It was so nice. The price seems to be 26pp.. It's well worth it.

EDIT ooops sorry just seen Westin is booked out. :s

dinneenp wrote: »

Thanks.

Gallaghers Bistro on D'olier Street was fab when we were there a few weeks ago. Be sure to order the beef sandwiches as one of your options

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Looking to book Afternoon Tea in Dublin and The Shelbourne is a bit above budget. I have narrowed it down to these 2 options:

Castleknock Hotel - http://www.castleknockhotel.com/afternoon-tea-dublin.html
    Ariel House Guesthouse in Dublin 4: http://www.ariel-house.net/afternoon-tea

Anyone have experiences of either?

ourtrail wrote: »
    Looking to book Afternoon Tea in Dublin and The Shelbourne is a bit above budget. I have narrowed it down to these 2 options:

Castleknock Hotel - http://www.castleknockhotel.com/afternoon-tea-dublin.html
    Ariel House Guesthouse in Dublin 4: http://www.ariel-house.net/afternoon-tea

Anyone have experiences of either?

Ariel House is amazing! Can't recommend it highly enough. Lovely setting, great food, tons of it, lovely staff and great price

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Check Tankardstown and Finnstown House! Really really good value

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Or the Village at Lyons do a breakfast tea for two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

sinead81 wrote: »
    Check Tankardstown and Finnstown House! Really really good value
    ... and neither are in Dublin City. Great suggestion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

... and neither are in Dublin City. Great suggestion :rolleyes:

Op - ' or surrounding areas'

Advertisement