Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sisters of Mercy - Vicar Street

Options
  • 03-07-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Any Boardsies going to this? I've wanted to see SoM for years, but I missed every opportunity up til now...

Ticket states doors at 7 and show at 8, and no mention of support or special guests - d'ye think it'll just be the main act at 8pm?

Trying to gauge how long I have on Wednesday evening to goth myself up. :cool::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

They'll start around 9pm.

Ive seen them twice, but the last show at the Olympia in 2011 was disappointing.

A lot of their music is pre-recorded (drums and a lot of guitar work) and I felt it was like Eldritch singing his own songs at a Karaoke.

Im giving this show a miss but I hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Cheers. Given how difficult and pompous he has seemed in the past, there's something quite amusing at the thought of Eldrich doing karaoke. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

They don't perform "live" as such, expect lots of smoke and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

I'm going. Wasn't sure after the last time but its a nice way to celebrate finishing my masters. They REALLY need a bass player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am going too. Third time I will see them, got a ticket as a gift.

Although I love their music, I don't find their live performances very good.
    No problem with the prerecorded music, but too much smoke!! You practically see shadows moving on stage!! And last time at the Olympia, the smoke was "following" us until the street!!!

Still, looking at current setlists, I think we will have a good time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

poundhound wrote: »
    They'll start around 9pm.

Ive seen them twice, but the last show at the Olympia in 2011 was disappointing.

A lot of their music is pre-recorded (drums and a lot of guitar work) and I felt it was like Eldritch singing his own songs at a Karaoke.

Im giving this show a miss but I hope you enjoy it.

i thought they only used drum machines anyway, they have to be preprogrammed??

Irish Aris wrote: »
    No problem with the prerecorded music, but too much smoke!! You practically see shadows moving on stage!! And last time at the Olympia, the smoke was "following" us until the street!!!

Trying to recreate that eighties' vibe...Asthma pumps at the ready, so! :p

tattykitty wrote: »
    Trying to recreate that eighties' vibe...Asthma pumps at the ready, so! :p

I am at the balcony. I wonder if that's good or bad!! :cool:

I am at the balcony. I wonder if that's good or bad!! :cool:

I know nothing of the properties of dry ice, but I don't think it rises that high? I'm standing and smallish, so I shall be prepared for a fair mouthful of the stuff!

I'm seeing Alice on a couple of the setlists...yay! Looking forward to it now. Even if the stage presence isn't great/is hidden by smoke, it should still be good. Especially because I booked the following day off work! I should drink snakebite and black for old time's sake, but I don't think I'd even manage a pint of it now... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tupelopenny

is there a support?

• Advertisement

is there a support?

London band Losers played with them for part of the tour, but I can't find any mention of support for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

The other half is a big fan of them, so I picked up two tickets for him... I'm curious to see how it goes, have been listening to some of their stuff and quite enjoying :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEANapksXlY

One to get us all in the mood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GarMani

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    They REALLY need a bass player.
    and a drummer and a quality female backing vocalist. I'll still be there though. I've 2 spare tickets too if anyone's interested.

What did people think? I enjoyed it, though Eldritch's voice seemed quite weak last night - the guitarist doing backing vocals was much louder and drowned him out a fair bit, I thought (though perhaps it was where I was standing). The light show was brill.

Some absolute prats in the audience, unfortunately.

tattykitty wrote: »
    What did people think? I enjoyed it, though Eldritch's voice seemed quite weak last night - the guitarist doing backing vocals was much louder and drowned him out a fair bit, I thought (though perhaps it was where I was standing). The light show was brill.

Some absolute prats in the audience, unfortunately.

agreed. Lights were amazing.
    Less smoke than the previous times, don't know if they used less or Vicar St has a good ventilation system.

Don't know about the prats in the audience, we came late and were in the back, no problems there, room to dance and everyhting.

Probably the best of the 3 times I've seen them.

agreed. Lights were amazing.
    Less smoke than the previous times, don't know if they used less or Vicar St has a good ventilation system.

Don't know about the prats in the audience, we came late and were in the back, no problems there, room to dance and everyhting.

Probably the best of the 3 times I've seen them.

We were quite near the front, folk where I was not really watching the show and having a big old chat (I have a bugbear with this, generally. Go to a pub if you want to chat, or stay in the bar!). Couple of blokes appeared behind us towards the end and proceeded to shove people about and punched me in the back a good few times...bit tiresome. I'm all for dancing at gigs, but that wasn't dancing!

Agreed regarding the smoke - it wasn't excessive and looked fantastic with the lights! Thought some of the songs sounded quite heavy, which was a pleasant surprise.

Particularly enjoyed seeing all the goths looming along Thomas Street. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

I enjoyed it overall, although it took a while to get going at the start. Not helped by the fire alarm and it wasn't loud enough. I was delighted that they played the original First and Last and Always riff and not the mangled one they did for the previous few tours and I'd never heard Kiss the carpet live before. Rain From Heaven was nice for the geeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GarMani

Brillant Sisters Of Mercy gig Wednesday night again badly damaged by their sound engineer..you could barely hear the lead singer. Last time, when I complained, he blamed the Olympia as being a difficult venue to get good sound. Sisters Of Mercy were the only act I have been to of 3 in Vicar Street or about 30 in the Olympia with bad sound..spot the pattern?
    Peter Hook (formerly of New Order and Joy Division) the night after, playing Joy Division's best tracks very well was a way better gig.

Advertisement