Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diabetes query

• 04-07-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi, has anyone any info regarding diabetes and joining AGS? Either type 1 or type 2?
    Cant seem to find anything online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm sorry to say, if you're insulin dependent you cannot join.

A quote taken from here http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/diabetes/features2.html?artid=4708
    At present, people with type 1 diabetes cannot apply to the Gardai, the fire and ambulance services or the armed forces. Blanket bans also exist in the fields of:

* Aviation (both airline pilots and air traffic control)

* working at heights

* working on water, such as an oil-rig

* driving buses

and another here http://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/for-teens/college-2/
    When planning your route to college you will discover that very few occupations are off limits because you have diabetes. Like anyone else you can choose a job that fits your personal interests and abilities. Currently, in Ireland, if you use insulin to treat your condition you cannot enter the following professions: the Gardai, Fire and Ambulance service, armed forces, train drivers, airline pilots, air traffic controllers and bus drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Thanks Kersplat. .. im type 2 but its the only thing bothering me. I hope it wont affect chances.
    Thanks again for info & links.

Are you just on tablets? Obviously don't answer if you're not comfortable. You may be OK if you are as, if the above quotes are correct, it's only if you're insulin dependent

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Are you just on tablets? Obviously don't answer if you're not comfortable. You may be OK if you are as, if the above quotes are correct, it's only if you're insulin dependent

No worries ... yep just on tabs im managing away grand and have lost 3 stone so happy out. I was just worried about it but as you said if the above quotes are right I should be ok thanks a mil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 karen2014

well today i got aletter for a referral to hospital dor diabetic clinic whic i had no tests and last blood test 2012 help please

• Advertisement

You have been referred to the diabetic clinic but haven't been or had bloods done since 2012, is that right?

What stage in the recruitment process are you?

Is there any reason you can't go to the clinic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

karen2014 wrote: »
    well today i got aletter for a referral to hospital dor diabetic clinic whic i had no tests and last blood test 2012 help please

Who was letter from? And what are the timeframes

letter was from a hospital and last time i got blood test was 2012 my gp has no record
    it was a test i got done in 2012 when i was pregnant

no reson i cant go to clinic but my issue is it all new to me an i haven had any bloods taken

This is the Garda Recruitment forum, if you need advice regarding diabetes maybe you could ask in the Long Term Illness forum, I'll link it for you in a minute.

If these questions are in relation to diabetes AND Garda Recruitment, we can try help you here

• Advertisement

do i acknowlege this letter or ignore it is the question

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=862

Don't ignore a referral letter, diabetes is a serious illness and needs to be treated. Please get in touch with your GP or local hospital/diabetes clinic and they can advice you. Medical advice is not permitted on Boards.ie

as i said my gp knows nothing about this it cant be results since 2012 can it i know when pregnant got test done but never heard nothing till now it hardly that

MOD

Your posts are very difficult to understand.

Is this in relation to Garda Recruitment?

Whether this is Garda related or not, I nor anyone else here can help you. Please get in touch with your local diabetes clinic

-KERSPALT!

Advertisement