Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another World 20th Anniversary Edition

Options
  • 04-07-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I had no idea they released this on the new consoles. If anyone was into the old cinematic platformers back in the day, you would definitely have seen or played this at least once.

Personally it's my first time playing it properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mad to think it was made by one person. Was one of the first games I played on an Amiga, I prefer Flashback myself but Another World was really influential, nearly shat myself the first time that creature shows up a few screens in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Got rid of the 15th anniversary edition last week. I remember really liking the game when it originally came out in the early nineties. It was a novel experience.

Attempting to play through it again more recently, I could only stick the trial-and-error advancement for an hour or so before quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Fnz wrote: »
    Got rid of the 15th anniversary edition last week. I remember really liking the game when it originally came out in the early nineties. It was a novel experience.

Attempting to play through it again more recently, I could only stick the trial-and-error advancement for an hour or so before quitting.

That's the beauty of cinematic platformers. Takes a lot of patience, albeit a lot of frustration as well. Flashback is the only one out of any cinematic platformer I've played that I've grown to know almost inside out for the last 20 or so years. I still play it from time to time, my biggest shock, I've never finished the game. The last level was ridiculous.

Another World appears to be much more challenging than Flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

That's the beauty of cinematic platformers. Takes a lot of patience, albeit a lot of frustration as well.
    That's not beauty. There's no 'being careful to avoid death', you're going to suffer many unavoidable deaths until you memorise a pattern. I have patience, but this rote memorisation is intellectually unfulfilling and replaying poorly checkpointed sections becomes tedious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feels a bit like QTE without the in screen directions tbh.
    Flashback was better, played it on the Megadrive.
    And I also really enjoyed Fade to Black, it's sequel, played it some on the PC before finishing it on the superior Playstation version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I much prefer Another World to Flashback. The art direction is much better and the cinematic presentation is wonderful, it's also one of the most influential games ever made with people like Fumito Ueda citing it.

It's not perfect sure, some of the checkpointing gets broken in the remake and had me very annoyed at one point. You have to not think of it as a platformer, it's closer in design to a Sierra point and click.

Also it's storytelling is extremely effective and more games should learn from it. It tells a compelling story without resorting to long winded speeches and cutscenes yet remains entirely cinematic while also rarely raking control from the player. If only games went more that way than the endless interruptions to tell story that we get these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mike Aruba

Advertisement