Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Masters in Education

• 04-07-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an teacher working abroad because of the lack of jobs at home. I get paid quite well here, and have lots of spare time in the evenings. I was thinking of putting this to good use and doing a Masters in Education. Hopefully it would stand me in good stead when I return and start looking for positions. Anyway, the lack of options in my host country means that physical attendance is ruled out, so I was focusing on doing an online course instead. I'm beginning to do a bit of research now, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to where I'd begin. I'm a secondary teacher with English and History specialities, and I'd like to do something that has relatively broad appeal when it comes to interview panels. So if you have any suggestions, be they personal recommendations of specific courses, or further education sites which review such courses, I'd appreciate you sharing them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

While what I am about to suggest isn't online, it is built around teacher's holidays and is from one of the most reputable universities in the UK.

But first, a question - is attending classes in the UK for the full month of July an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    While what I am about to suggest isn't online, it is built around teacher's holidays and is from one of the most reputable universities in the UK.

But first, a question - is attending classes in the UK for the full month of July an option?

Unfortunately not. I work into July here. But I'll take the the recommendation. They might have something I can do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Me too could I ask for that recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Here's what I am talking about:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/education/postgraduate/ispi/

The only attendance requirements are for that month in July. During the remainder of the academic year, you are given support through the Blackboard portal, along with e-mail and, if you want, Skype.

I am enrolled on the EdD programme, but we did the same modules as the Masters students. Can't rate Durham highly enough - staff, course itself and of course reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Did u look at the OU? Very good for flexibility, good materials and manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the replies.

I never even thought of OU. Not to sound like a snob or anything, but how seriously are their courses taken by the type of people who might make up interview panels? I don't want to do a course online only to be beaten out in interviews by identically qualified candidates who just happen to have, say, University of Durham instead of OU?

Advertisement