Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Race Series: Fingal 10k

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Sunday_Weather.jpg

The Norwegians are predicting rain and a light breeze for Sunday morning. Keeping my fingers crossed that they're right.

That looks just lovely Vitani :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Did this last year and it was quite humid on the day. Hope its cooler this year. Nice course on a some country roads after turning off the main dual carriage way. I entered at the last minute due to an Achilles / plantar annoyance that wont clear up. I'm too afraid to enter the whole race series at once incase I jinx myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Also parked in Pavilions. Plenty of parking and got back to the car before the 2 hours were up.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Hi thinking of going to this. my number is <snip> if anyone is interested in getting together to do a jog.

Mod: don't post your phone number. Ask for a PM if you want anyone to get in contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

userod wrote: »
    Hi thinking of going to this. my number is <snip> if anyone is interested in getting together to do a jog.

Entry has closed. That's just in case you wanted someone to ring you with a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck to all running this tomorrow.
    Might see some of you in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all running this tomorrow.
    Might see some of you in the morning :)

I'll be there. The weathers to be around 18 deg & dry, so could be a warm one

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Good luck to all runners tomorrow. Looking forward to reading some race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I'm doing this today. It will be my 2nd time taken part in an official race.
    I did the Phoenix Park Park Run 10km back in April in 60 mins so hoping to beat 60 mins on this 10km.

I could barely complete 5km in January but thanks to many boards.ie logs and advice I stuck with it and am now training for the half marathon in Sept.

In my case I've slowly seen the progress happen but its worth it.

• Advertisement

Finished in 54.23 very happy but thinking back I could have pushed myself more the last 1km as I missed the 9km sign and made a bad assumption of the last km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RenegadeDisco

The course was a bit more lumpy then I was expecting. Thanks to the fire brigade for the spray!! 10 Miler next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

45:44, better than last year but a long way off my PB. More or less what I expected beforehand :rolleyes:

Not as flat as people were making out. Wish the water stops had been bottles rather than cups & thanks to the fire service for the soaking. Was needed.

Have to say though why do people start in places when they're just going to hold others up. Now I'm not the quickest but I was passing people who were walking & hadn't even got out of Main Street.

Also the guy at the gate of where you collected the goody bag, refusing 1 runner entry because his number had come off. Guy was dripping in sweat & the hitler on the gate saying sorry it's only for runners 😳

Finished in 53.47, not what I wanted but I got round. 10 miler next for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

colin32 wrote: »

Also the guy at the gate of where you collected the goody bag, refusing 1 runner entry because his number had come off. Guy was dripping in sweat & the hitler on the gate saying sorry it's only for runners 😳

How do you know his number came off? It's more likely he never had one...

Ah here your as bad as the guy on the gate. Or you could be the guy in the gate

Would it have hurt him to just let him through, if he wasn't a runner in the race fair enough, but the goody bag is hardly worth going through the effort to try & con one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

colin32 wrote: »
    Ah here your as bad as the guy on the gate. Or you could be the guy in the gate

Would it have hurt him to just let him through, if he wasn't a runner in the race fair enough, but the goody bag is hardly worth going through the effort to try & con one

There are loads bandit runners in the race series and marathon every year. If you don't take the policy of refusing them at the end of the race (or in the case of the marathon; dragging them off the course before the finish) where would it stop? People would just be running the races for free.
    Also remember that there is someone behind who might not get a race t-shirt/goody bag if the bandit runner is allowed to claim one.

I wasn't that steward but he/she was dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

menoscemo wrote: »
    There are loads bandit runners is the race series and marathon every year. If you don't take the policy of refusing them at the end of the race (or in the case of the marathon; dragging them off the course before the finish) where would it stop? People would just be running the races for free.
    Also remember that there is someone behind who might not get a race t-shirt/goody bag if the bandit runner is allowed to claim one.

I wasn't that steward but he/she was dead right.

A guy in my group had no number, forget it, tried to find someone in authority to inform them and hopefully get a replacement didn't find anyone so ran anyway, he has paid to run the entire race series, my faith in humanity leads me to believe that some will run the race without paying, but to collect the bounty at the finish I can't imagine there are that many **** out there.

edit - don't think it was this guy, so clearly others forgot their number, or maybe it did fall off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Very happy to be finally sub-50 for this distance with a run of 49:02 this morning. The water spray was very much appreciated!! Not to mention the nice cloudy weather :-)

I think they overdid it with the water stations - for a 10K the very most anyone would need would be one stop at 4miles or so.

Didn't get the time I wanted but did get a shiny new PB so I'm happy.

Loved the hoses (civil defence, was it?) and as ever, the Scouts were great.

• Advertisement

I think they overdid it with the water stations - for a 10K the very most anyone would need would be one stop at 4miles or so.

With that heat, it's better to be safe than sorry IMO. I tend to throw most of the water over my head so I'm always grateful for extra stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

SWL wrote: »
    A guy in my group had no number, forget it, tried to find someone in authority to inform them and hopefully get a replacement didn't find anyone so ran anyway, he has paid to run the entire race series, my faith in humanity leads me to believe that some will run the race without paying, but to collect the bounty at the finish I can't imagine there are that many **** out there.

edit - don't think it was this guy, so clearly others forgot their number, or maybe it did fall off

I think that in order to get the replacement number, you need to contact them a day or two in advance of the day. My number never arrived (to Edinburgh) but I phoned/emailed them on Friday and they arranged to cancel the original numbers (I also had a half-marathon entry) and have a new one to collect this morning.

Was not great that my number did not make it (they said they posted it on the 8th, but I had other post arrive to my address as late as 17th and still no number... 7 working days should be more than enough for the UK). All the same they were quite responsive this Friday/Saturday in sorting out a solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Another well organised race series event. Thanks to all who volunteered and came out to support.

I enjoyed the friendly rivalry between the scout teams at different tables at the first water station. One of the kids at the first table was shouting "its your last chance to get water here" with a guy at the second table shouting "their water's gone off, ours is fresh"! They seemed to be having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

As a swords local im biased. I loved this race.
    But that aside as always im so thankful to everyone who volenteered to help out. After the race a guy giving out fruit told me he was there since 6am and hadnt had his lunch. (He wasnt complaining)
    These people are amazing. Thank you all

Good day out today! Came in a minute under target and 11 minutes faster than my last (and first) 10km. Still slower than most of you speedy feckers but I'm getting faster :D

I'll miss the 10 mile as I'm doing the warriors in Sligo that day but hopefully see plenty of you at the half.

Well done everyone :)

Edit: oh and also good to note; ladies leave the make up for the pub :p I passed a woman at the civil defence shower who was giving out shyte about getting soaked, all her make up was running down her face :/ she wasn't a bit impressed :o

That Civil defense shower was the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ColmS29

Why do some people find it necessary to start in Wave 1 when they do not have a hope in hell of doing sub 50 minutes. I started near the rear of wave 1 and spend the first km weaving between runners, some of which were walking before the 1 km mark. Ok for the wide roads in the park but not for the tight Main Street in Swords

Apart from that very well organised and Civil Defence shower was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ftoolio

First time doing this race, really well marshalled. The fire brigade showers were great.
    There were lots of people literally up the front who weren't quick, when the race started lots of us literally had to run through them, no respect for their fellow runners.
    Ran sub 36 mins, happy out. Course very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

First time doing this race and I found this tougher than I expected, I wouldn't call it a flat course by any stretch, I felt there was a few climbs up to 5k and not much downhills after that. Went out in 6mins for the first mile, it felt comfortable so kept going at that speed, picking of people as I went along. Got to 5k in under 19mins, started to suffer a bit from 6k, breathing got a bit laboured from then on but kept pushing on as best I could. Crossed the line in just under 38mins, fastest 10k since 2010, rounding into decent shape for Berlin. Was expecting a sub 40 beforehand but when I went throught the 5ml park quicker than I did the 5ml in the park, I knew a low 38 or better was possible. A good day out.

Wasn't a fan of the Civil Defence shower, ran round the second one. Again a lot of people started in the wrong wave, defintiely some people I passed early on would not be doing a sub 50 10k, for a good while it didn't bother me but now I find it very annoying. Organisation and atmosphere were great, crossing the line and picking up your goody bag, fruit and water was very well organised.

The results show just under 3,000 finishing, is that lower than usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I did this race two years ago when they had a monster hill from 6 to 8k. With that now taken out of the equation the course is much flatter, and a good course to have a crack at a PB.

I managed to get around in 37 and a half minutes, which I think is a PB - I possibly ran faster pre-internet results and having a Garmin!:)

Really well organised, fair play to all those that helped make it run so smoothly.

Advertisement