Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Race Series: Fingal 10k

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fingal 10K 2014 Race Report

Pre Race

Following some indifferent performances in recent weeks, signs were not encouraging beforehand. In addition, a week and a half looking after a Cavalier King Charles meant my training was severely limited; also on Friday evening/Saturday morning I had a severe bout of indigestion which ruled out even a Parkrun, and then I capped off my "preparation" with Saturday scoops. In fact, just about everything you could think of was wrong as I parked up at the Pavilions on a warm morning.

I met PaulieYifter at the start, and speculated whether I was lining up too near the front. He would go on to nail a PB, and hence a much happier experience than my own.

1-6 KM

Turns out I was right about my starting position. Had I been fit on the day I could have coped. However, virtually from the off runners streamed by me, as try as I might, I couldn't find a pace that felt comfortable. Even on the downhill part of the bypass, I felt as if each of my legs weighed a ton, and it was hard to breathe. I also did something I normally never do at water stations, ie. slow down and walk. From very early on I decided just to finish and not be too concerned about times.

7-10 KM

The hosing at 7 km brought a bit of welcome relief, but not enough to give me any kind of momentum. I was still being passed regularly, but on this occasion I really didn't feel like "racing" anyone, just getting to the end! The hill near the finish was hard enough but manageable. Even the last little downhill bit I didn't feel up to a sprint, and literally walked across the line in a chip time of 45:44. Over one and a half minutes quicker than last year's time there, but nearly two minutes slower than my PB, which is very soft compared to what I have for 5k and 5 miles.

I hadn't planned on running the DLR Bay 10K, but I've read a lot of good reports about it, and it could be a better opportunity to improve my time, if I can get the training back on track.

On a side note, something I'm surprised nobody else mentioned yet. During the minute's silence for Robbie Matthews and another runner whose name I didn't catch, you could still hear the Bootcamp Ireland warmup at the bottom of the street continuing as normal. A lot of others around me didn't look happy about it either. Other than that, everything regarding organisation seemed to go off well, and the area in the castle grounds to sit down and relax at the end was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

My first time doing it as well, I enjoyed the fire brigade/civil defense watering. Gave me a boost for the the next few K. My third 10K event ever so they just keep getting better. 10Miler next (gulp!:eek:) Might do one more 10k between now and 23 August...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

On a side note, something I'm surprised nobody else mentioned yet. During the minute's silence for Robbie Matthews and another runner whose name I didn't catch, you could still hear the Bootcamp Ireland warmup at the bottom of the street continuing as normal. A lot of others around me didn't look happy about it either. Other than that, everything regarding organisation seemed to go off well, and the area in the castle grounds to sit down and relax at the end was a nice touch.

I noticed that too. Disappointing but in reality the bootcamp and the announcer were working independently of each other so it ended up this way. Would've been nice if a little forward planning & co-operation had allowed them to come together at a particular time for the minute's silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

belcarra wrote: »
    I noticed that too. Disappointing but in reality the bootcamp and the announcer were working independently of each other so it ended up this way. Would've been nice if a little forward planning & co-operation had allowed them to come together at a particular time for the minute's silence.

I was near the back of Wave 1 (doing my level best to ignore the Bootcamp warmup) and had no idea that there was a minute's silence going on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

vitani wrote: »
    I was near the back of Wave 1 (doing my level best to ignore the Bootcamp warmup) and had no idea that there was a minute's silence going on at all.

I was right by the bootcamp warmup and had no knowledge of minutes silence either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I enjoyed this race yesterday. I’m local enough so it was only a short cycle over to the start line for me.

I was aiming for what would hopefully be my first sub40 10k but it wasn’t to be. Managed the first 3k with 3:40, 3:41 and 3:40 before slipping into perfect 4minute KMs until the marker for the 8th KM. At that point I was hit with a chest cramp which slowed me right down. I had to hobble along for the next KM (5:16) and it mostly passed by the sign for the 9th KM. I got the pace a little back on track for the last KM but thanks to it being mostly a climb I only crossed the line at 40:23. This still makes a PB for me (same race last year – 40:56) but still… so damn close to my goal… ah well :)

The finish area for this race is great. Everything is perfectly spaced out yet perfectly close by as well; a great space for an event like this.

One thing that annoyed me however; at one point a group of 3 guys from a running club ran up behind me, overtook me on different sides but just re-joined their formation right in front of me. They didn’t quicken their pace nor did I speed up at all yet two of them were more or less elbowing me out “their” part of the road. There was plenty of space around us all and no need for such behaviour, I thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Caprica wrote: »
    The results show just under 3,000 finishing, is that lower than usual?

From the results website, the number of finishers was
    2012: 3196
    2013: 2230
    2014: 2759

Seems there was no 10K race in the series before 2012.

Has nobody complained about the t-shirts yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

ftoolio wrote: »
    There were lots of people literally up the front who weren't quick, when the race started lots of us literally had to run through them, no respect for their fellow runners.

This comment is just a joke on my part but, you LITERALLY didn't do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

krafty wrote: »

Has nobody complained about the t-shirts yet? :D

I have! I sat down on grass afterwards, put t-shirt down beside me and when i went to put it on a couple of minutes later, it was gone! Somebody obviously took it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea, definitely could have been planned a little better; can't blame the bootcamp guys though, they had no idea. Maybe a minutes applause would have been a better idea.

On a personal note, it was only my second 10k race, my first being the Great Ireland Run in 2012, and I was happy to get a PB of 42:12; down from 43:10 at the GIR. I actually missed the first km marker and was behind on my splits at the 2km mark; got caught in the traffic towards the back of wave 1. I'd like to thank the chap in the blue 'run Ireland', he helped me to maintain my pace just by being a good runner; must have stayed with him from the 2/3km mark.

I'm thinking of giving the DLR Bay 10K a shot now too, based on posts above, is it a good PB course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

57.25 for me which is miles slower than the rest of you, but i've only been running ten weeks so was happy with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MKDTH wrote: »
    57.25 for me which is miles slower than the rest of you, but i've only been running ten weeks so was happy with that. :)

Well done. I hear you were only seconds away from making a few quid on the side ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done. I hear you were only seconds away from making a few quid on the side ;-)

Cheers

Yes 18 seconds away from winning my bet that i would finish within 20mins of Yaboya1 who went around in a PB of 37.07 which was a great effort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Some pictures from this taken between 5k and 6k marks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90428488@N07/sets/72157645411573858/

Have some more on my phone, which I'll add a link to if I can upload them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

plodder wrote: »
    Some pictures from this taken between 5k and 6k marks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90428488@N07/sets/72157645411573858/

Have some more on my phone, which I'll add a link to if I can upload them.

Great photos, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anybody know why we didn't get a sports drink bottle at this race as advertised? Not a complaint, just wondering as we got a bag as advertised at the 5 miler. Or did I miss that somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

RedRunner wrote: »
    Anybody know why we didn't get a sports drink bottle at this race as advertised? Not a complaint, just wondering as we got a bag as advertised at the 5 miler. Or did I miss that somehow?
    I got Lucozade in my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Think you missed it. Bag was first, then apple/banana, then water in cups, then water bottle.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Think you might have missed it. I got it after the water station in the park area, post race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

They were giving them out at the finishing chute beside the apples, bananas and water. You were about a minute ahead of me Robbie so you should definitely have seen them. I got one and if you really want one yourself I can give you mine next time I see you (whenever that will be!) as I don't really have a need for it. But they did still have loads (boxfulls) left at that stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Think RedRunner is asking about the re-usable drinks bottle rather than the lucozade, fletch... The drinks bottle was not in our bags - they were being handed out just beyond the spot where we took Tshirt &bag (and before the apples & bananas). Bottles were bright orange just like the Tshirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Think RedRunner is asking about the re-usable drinks bottle rather than the lucozade, fletch... The drinks bottle was not in our bags - they were being handed out just beyond the spot where we took Tshirt &bag (and before the apples & bananas). Bottles were bright orange just like the Tshirt!
    Sorry yes you're right I misread his post. Yeh I got mine handed to me separately alright.

Ah ok.. thanks folks. Don't know how I missed that? The old age must be starting to affect my vision!

They were giving them out at the finishing chute beside the apples, bananas and water. You were about a minute ahead of me Robbie so you should definitely have seen them. I got one and if you really want one yourself I can give you mine next time I see you (whenever that will be!) as I don't really have a need for it. But they did still have loads (boxfulls) left at that stage...

Thanks for the offer J but no need. Would have been handy for one of the kids. I gave the bag to the eldest last time. I'll just open my eyes the next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/race-report-big-entry-in-fingal-10k

There's a few more photos on the Fit Magazine website. Did anyone buy the Indo yesterday? Just wondering if they printed all (or any) of the ones they have online.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Indo printed all results yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

The photos for the Fingal 10k are up on finisherpix.com They seem to be all at the finish line. So who took the photo's at the fire truck where we got sprayed??

Advertisement