Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psyllium husk - how much to use

• 04-07-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

My spaniel x has a problem with her anal glands. They seem to fill up too quickly and a while ago she got an infection in one and hand to have antibiotics to sort it out.

I know problems with the glands can be due to a lack of fibre in the diet but I had hoped that feeding her Skinners and some porridge oats would keep on top of things but it seems we need more help. So I have looked at some old threads and Psyllium husk was recommended.

Question is where do I get it - health food shops presumably and how much do I use. The dog is approx. 12 kgs.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was using it for my JRTx and used approx 1-2 tsp on her food.

However...

Since switching to Skinners duck and rice (gluten free) the problem improved massively, from needing to go once a month to once every 2-3 months.

Since April we switched to feeding partially raw, so she gets skinners in a morning but raw meat in the evening. She also gets raw duck wings, chicken wings, thighs during the week.

She hasn't been to the vet in almost 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A couple of months ago I posted this thread that went unnoticed ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057212683

I'm still using them, seeds, not husk.
    In a first time I used to prepare a teaspoon of seeds with six or seven teaspoons of water in a small cup and let it rest for a night. On the following morning I had kind of a gel that I used to add to the wet food, about one teaspoon of gel in a bowl of wet food.
    The cup that I used to prepare was enough for almost a week.
    It worked fine and I'm still using them straight in the food.
    I add about 30 or 40 seeds every morning to the wet food in the bowl, mix well and serve to my cat who eats it without any hassle.
    Everything is fine with her, she's happy, I'm happy :D

In your case I think that about 50 seeds a day should do.
    I found them in a herb shop, 100 grams 2 euro. I bought it in mid May, I still have about a half bag,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I was using it for my JRTx and used approx 1-2 tsp on her food.

However...

Since switching to Skinners duck and rice (gluten free) the problem improved massively, from needing to go once a month to once every 2-3 months.

Since April we switched to feeding partially raw, so she gets skinners in a morning but raw meat in the evening. She also gets raw duck wings, chicken wings, thighs during the week.

She hasn't been to the vet in almost 5 months.

Thanks for that - will try and get some today.

They are on Skinners Duck and Rice at the moment. I have some frozen wings or thighs in the freezer which I bought for all the dogs but never got round to giving them. Might just root them out and let them have them this weekend. Have to be careful with 'real' food as with five dogs you need to supervise them otherwise there could be a scuffle.

Advertisement