Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise On Getting Room Upgrade In Vegas

Options
  • 04-07-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Myself and my partner are getting married in Planet Hollywood at the end of September.
    We have three hip (Standard) rooms booked along with flights through our travel agent.

We would like to upgrade our rooms to fountain view but are on a budget.
    Instead of paying extra through our travel agent (which we feel is expensive as it is) would we be better off asking when checking in at reception for an upgrade for our weding?

I have heard slipping the receptionist dollars goes a long way,but not sure how this is.

Advise appreciated guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The $20 trick usually works wonders when the hotel isn't too busy and there's plenty of available rooms. Just slip a $20 note along with your credit card and ask something along the lines of "Are there any upgrades available?".

If there aren't, the person at the check-in desk will usually just give you the $20 back. Given that it's your wedding, I'm sure they'd be able to accommodate you... especially if you let them know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I'd go with $50

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Definitely ask. We stayed at some nice hotels on our honeymoon, and all I did was let them know we were there on our honeymoon and they all gave us upgraded rooms. I never offered cash, just a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

How long are you staying for? THe $20 trick is definitely worth trying and usually works, especially if all you're hoping for is a view upgrade. WHhen asking just say something like "if you have any better rooms with a strip view that would be great".

When doing the $20 trick it helps to check in around 2 - 4PM as this is when the most rooms are available. It also helps if there aren't a ton of people behind you queing to check in as that gives staff a little more time to check around to see if there's a better room available. If you're staying for a long time are/or at a busy time of year (late September is somewhat busy) the chances can decline a bit. Also, you'd have to make it $20 per room as that is the going rate. Some hotels work better than others, I've a feeling that Planet Holleywood is one of the good ones, however if you do some googling under "$20 trick Planet Holleywood" you'll probably find out.

I'd definitely also mention that you are there to get married. Be friendly and pleasant with the check in staff, they really appreciate being treated like human beings as they often have to deal with a lot of nonsense and this will often help your chances as much as the money. Have fun!

Advertisement