Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early morning pre workout nutrition

Options
  • 04-07-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on what to eat/not to eat pre workout. I will be starting about 6am either swimming, spin or gym and heading straight to work after. So just wondering if I need to fuel that early or will what I have stored from overnight be enough to get me through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

db76 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on what to eat/not to eat pre workout. I will be starting about 6am either swimming, spin or gym and heading straight to work after. So just wondering if I need to fuel that early or will what I have stored from overnight be enough to get me through?

if im starting that early I normally eat a banana on way to pool and high 5 2:1 , if its a run ill have nothing just water or take a gel with me if its going to be more than 90mins and if its an early bike ill bring bananas and flapjacks, have the good 'ol porridge then when I get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

db76 wrote: »

You don't need to eat before a session first thing in the morning and if your session is no longer than 1-1.5 hour long water is enough during too. The most I would have before a 6am session is an espresso to get things moving. It's also no harm to get the body fueling from fat reserves instead of from carbs you have just taken.

I know some that would eat some fruit on the way to the pool as they would have a commute of over 30mins to the pool. And there are those that can't be without the energy drink on deck. So each to their own I suppose but not needed IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i just make a veg and fruit smoothie

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

ray o wrote: »
    You don't need to eat before a session first thing in the morning and if your session is no longer than 1-1.5 hour long water is enough during too. The most I would have before a 6am session is an espresso to get things moving. It's also no harm to get the body fueling from fat reserves instead of from carbs you have just taken.

I know some that would eat some fruit on the way to the pool as they would have a commute of over 30mins to the pool. And there are those that can't be without the energy drink on deck. So each to their own I suppose but not needed IMO

Couldn't of said it better no reason for Food before a work out in the morning , After yes before no let the body get used to eating it's own fat stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

jeawan wrote: »
    Couldn't of said it better no reason for Food before a work out in the morning , After yes before no let the body get used to eating it's own fat stores.

I agree totally, however you need to build up to it - especially on the bike. Jumping from 60mins to 90mins on empty resulted in a serious bonk for me. It would have been fine if I had brought something as a backup. Silly me just brought water. Since then I always bring some food as a just in case.

You also need to consider the effort you'll be putting in. I can comfortably do 3.5 hours on empty for an easy spin of 100k or so. If there's work efforts then I'll need some food after around 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

pgibbo wrote: »
    I agree totally, however you need to build up to it - especially on the bike. Jumping from 60mins to 90mins on empty resulted in a serious bonk for me. It would have been fine if I had brought something as a backup. Silly me just brought water. Since then I always bring some food as a just in case.

You also need to consider the effort you'll be putting in. I can comfortably do 3.5 hours on empty for an easy spin of 100k or so. If there's work efforts then I'll need some food after around 2 hours.

But a bonk in training isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows that you're pushing in the right direction. You have the stress the body to get it to adapt after all. (Having said that, it would be handy to have something to recover from the bonk to ensure that you can make it home!).

I've yet to find a limit as to how far I can push training on empty... last weekend included a 6.5 hour run done comfortably on empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enduro wrote: »
    But a bonk in training isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows that you're pushing in the right direction. You have the stress the body to get it to adapt after all. (Having said that, it would be handy to have something to recover from the bonk to ensure that you can make it home!).

I've yet to find a limit as to how far I can push training on empty... last weekend included a 6.5 hour run done comfortably on empty.

I agree and I should have clarified, it was me drifting all over the road that was the dangerous part, not the adaptation part

Out of curiosity, what did you consume over the 6.5hrs and how long in to it before you started taking on fluids or solids?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

Thanks for the advice. I also find it hard to eat first thing, so will probably go for the coffee before training just to get me up & out.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what did you consume over the 6.5hrs and how long in to it before you started taking on fluids or solids?

I consumed about 200ml of flavoured water in total, taking the first few sips about 4 hours in. It's only in the current warmer spell of weather that I feel the need to drink at all. A sunny warm day could result in a much higher intake though. I usually wouldn't need to drink on any training sessions outside of the summer months. As ever, its just drinking to thirst (but pushing it a bit if I'm getting close to the finish).

No soilds during training at all (I never do). Wasn't particularly hungry afterwards either, which is a sign that fat-burning adaptation is good IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Enduro wrote: »

I'm a newb to all this but is that hard to recover from? if you bonked on a run on monday could you do a lsd run the next day without any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Anyone any ideas on drinking chocolate milk after a swim just to get something in quick? Would it do any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Remmy wrote: »
    do a lsd run the next day

LSD? Should you ever do one of these???!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

EC1000 wrote: »

I dont see the reference much but it is out there - Long Steady Distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

ray o wrote: »
    I dont see the reference much but it is out there - Long Steady Distance

That's a new one for me. To answer the query, I can only talk from experience and I've only "bonked" once or twice on the bike when I was feeling low prior to even starting the bike. I find that a lie down and a good meal should let you move on straight away.

I'm a newb to all this but is that hard to recover from? if you bonked on a run on monday could you do a lsd run the next day without any problems?

I personally could, but I've been endurance training for a long time now. Not sure if I would have tried it way way back when I was starting. But my own opinion would be that it would be good to give it a try. I've been in many multi-day adventure races where teammates have bonked mid-race, and with the right management we get them back to full speed again. So given that, getting a proper meal and night's sleep afterwards should be more than enough to enable you to pop out an LSD on the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

do a lsd run the next day without any problems?
    EC1000 wrote: »

I hear it is hard to run when your tripping. ;)

Advertisement