Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian career

Options
  • 04-07-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

The following is probably a lot of stupid questions to ask but any info would be greatly appreciated. Im currently working full time but wish to leave my job or take a career break to pursue working in the equestrian domain. I have a massive intrest in horses and would love to work in a stable enviorment. Im not new to working with animals, i have a trainers licence for greyhounds and work in a kennel of 70+ dogs although this is not my main job. The main question i have is are there any riding schools/ colleges etc that could be attended part time to gain experience/qualifications that would help me gain future employment? And if there is what exactly are the qualifications? Any help with a training yard where i could continue to learn how to ride properly would be great to. I live in north county dublin but have no problems travelling anywhere. I understand the above is probably a difficult read but thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice offerd.

Regards Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Check out the FETAC equestrian courses that are available - some are part time, some are evening classes, most I believe include riding modules, and stable management modules.

http://www.nightcourses.com/courses/equine-studies-courses.html

I know some people who did these courses in Naas, they included stable management type work experience, and included riding lessons twice/week.

There is a degree course in NUIM in Equine Business:
    https://www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/u...quine-business

There are several equestrian courses in Kildalton College in Piltown, Co Waterford that include breeding, business, horsemanship:

http://www.teagasc.ie/training/cours...ne_courses.asp

RACE in Kildare offer evening and part time courses that might be worth looking at:

http://racingacademy.ie/2009/page.php?id=18

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mickm1986

aonb... Thanks for that. I had a look at those sites and they are a great help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thornton Park take on Working Pupils towards qualifying for BHS Exams..
    mickm1986 wrote: »
    The following is probably a lot of stupid questions to ask but any info would be greatly appreciated. Im currently working full time but wish to leave my job or take a career break to pursue working in the equestrian domain. I have a massive intrest in horses and would love to work in a stable enviorment. Im not new to working with animals, i have a trainers licence for greyhounds and work in a kennel of 70+ dogs although this is not my main job. The main question i have is are there any riding schools/ colleges etc that could be attended part time to gain experience/qualifications that would help me gain future employment? And if there is what exactly are the qualifications? Any help with a training yard where i could continue to learn how to ride properly would be great to. I live in north county dublin but have no problems travelling anywhere. I understand the above is probably a difficult read but thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice offerd.

Regards Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 youcando2

doing a course is all well and good but a lot of yards will take practical experience over any certificate you might get, but also in saying that if you don't do a course and you work in yards for a few years you may not come out with all that much except experience.

I did a course in equine management, training and breeding and at the end of that course we had to do work placement for 6 months. I went to Europe and ended up there for 4 years and then to America for another 4 years. I got to travel the world with the horses Spruce Meadows, Florida, World cups, Olympics, European championships, world games i did them all I wouldn't change it for the world but when i decided enough was enough i found it difficult to get a "real" job in Ireland ie 2 days off a week and paid on time every month. I found it hard to find anything to keep my attention, now I've got the dream job, within the equestrian industrial but in marketing for an equine company but that after being home and bouncing around jobs for nearly 5 years. And I got this job because i know the industrial inside and out and have first hand experience in looking after horses over very little marketing experience.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is think long and hard about your decision as it wont be a job it will be your life! I hope I haven't put you off as I said before it was the best few years of my life and i have some of the most amazing experiences and looked after some of the best horses in the world but dam was it hard work!!

Advertisement