Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XGC Casuals?

Options
  • 04-07-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi guys, sorry for taking up space with a new thread, but I heard from a friend that you lads meet up to play fighting games at XGC on Liffey Street. I'd love to get a chance to play with some real people instead of online with rubbish internet. Since I've just started working in town, I figured I might as well pop in. So I'm curious as to what the story is with the XGC casuals- would anyone be able to answer some questions for me, please?

-I heard you play every Wednesday, is that right?

-What times do you usually start and finish?

-Is there a fee to show up and play?

-Should you bring your own stick? I have a TE for PS3 and a POS for the PS2/PC, but nothing for Xbox

-What systems do you play on? Is it all Xbox and PC?

-Lastly, I am not very good at all at all. Am I still welcome?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'll do my best to give you an answer :P

-We generally have casuals every Wednesday and Saturday. This can change on given weeks. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the forum the day before for people to post up when they'll be in.

-This can be highly variable, depending on players and days. People can be in as early as 1 to 2 and stay as late as 10. Again, check the thread, people will generally stay as late as they feel like, but will almost always stay in/come in later to meet up the later peeps showing up.

-Generally, its a fiver. If you stay only a short while, it's up to you how much you wanna toss in the pot, but the idea is that normal console rental hits about 2.50 an hour, so 5 for up to 8 hours is fair per person. All spill over money is held by the community for purchasing of things for the community (like consoles/lagless monitors).

-BYOS; otherwise more bodies will appear than sticks and no one gets to play in a timely manner :P That being said, if you really can't bring in your own stick, it's generally fine to just show up.

-Game dependent, there's usually a preferred format per game. SF tends towards Xbox, BB tends towards PS3

-All are welcome. Anyone who makes you not feel welcome for being new or not very good is a jerk and a meanie :P

You should turn up tomorrow at 1 if you're about, we're running a small tournament. It would be a good way to meet some of the community. It'll be BlazBlue, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and DiveKick on the day, though we'll probably have casuals for other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

-I heard you play every Wednesday, is that right? - Wednesdays and Saturdays

-What times do you usually start and finish? - From the time the first person arrives (3pm/5pm/7pm to usually around when the last person leaves 10/11pm)

-Is there a fee to show up and play? - We have to rent consoles from the net cafe to play on, so there is a set rate, it's usually a fiver, or tenner if you're there for a very long time. Someone who shows up more often than me can quote you specific rates.

-Should you bring your own stick? I have a TE for PS3 and a POS for the PS2/PC, but nothing for Xbox - If you want to play on something your comfortable with yeah, but people are pretty cool about loaning sticks.

-What systems do you play on? Is it all Xbox and PC? All platforms really. Specifically in the net cafe 360 and PS3. Most players favour Xbox, with Tekken/MK/Injustice players seeming to favour PS3. If you mean for online play we have a list here of who plays on what platforms for what games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApLd-FYOVg6jdHhGZVlheHpuWmJ1RURJN251dENqeHc&usp=sharing

-Lastly, I am not very good at all at all. Am I still welcome? I am awful and I've been around 4 years at this point, so yeah definitely

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hi guys ...
    Hello and welcome! Always good to see fresh faces!

-I heard you play every Wednesday, is that right?
    Pretty much every Wednesday and Saturday there is casuals. Obviously not when there's tourneys on in the XGC also.

-What times do you usually start and finish?
    People generally converge from around 2-4pm onwards and most people stay til about 9-11pm.

-Is there a fee to show up and play?
    Yes, I haven't been in a while, but I believe it's between 5 and 7 euro, depending on how long you stay. There's no hard and fast rule, but unless you only played 1 or 2 matches, it's a 5er minimum. All the extra cash goes into a community pot.
    -Should you bring your own stick? I have a TE for PS3 and a POS for the PS2/PC, but nothing for Xbox
    Yes, for sure; for the love of all that is good, whenever possible bring your own stick.
    -What systems do you play on? Is it all Xbox and PC?
    No PC. Depending on the game, people play on either 360 or PS3. Different communities have their preferences. SF and Marvel play on 360, Injustice and BB play on PS3.
    -Lastly, I am not very good at all at all. Am I still welcome?
    You are not only welcome, but you are cordially invited. We love newcomers, and you'll no doubt be swamped with people trying to give you advice and generally be lovely.

PRO-TIPS:
    #1: Don't talk to the guy downstairs at the counter when you come in. Just walk past to the back where the stairs are and go up. FGC are the ones getting hype and tapping buttons

#2: Don't let people sit on machines all day. It's hard as a new person, but don't be afraid to say "I got next" or "get the f**k off, my turn"

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Constant Markievicz

Thanks a bunch, guys, you're all being really helpful. If there'll be casual play tomorrow, then great- I'll be heading down unless something unexpected comes up. I'll bring my PS3 stick, so, but I've never played Injustice, and I haven't really played Blazblue since CT, haha, so it's been a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Thanks a bunch, guys, you're all being really helpful. If there'll be casual play tomorrow, then great- I'll be heading down unless something unexpected comes up. I'll bring my PS3 stick, so, but I've never played Injustice, and I haven't really played Blazblue since CT, haha, so it's been a while...

Hi Markievicz

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow

Just follow the tapping of the stick buttons once you get upstairs, you'll find someone dropping their combos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

You're very welcome to the casuals. Always good fun playing offline.

Instead of making a new thread, would anyone here be interested in playing some VF5FS tomorrow? I can bring it on a USB stick for Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Tournament in the XGC tomorrow :P

But come in anyway, we might be done early.

Advertisement