Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Actuary with only a Maths degee

Options
  • 04-07-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Can you do actuary without having to doing a Post-grad course?

I have a 2.1 in Math studies and I dont want to go back to college to do another course to get exemptions for actuary modules that are not guaranteed

would it be possible to apply to a company, work there and do the core subjects as part of the job?

or is doing the course in UCD or UCC the best option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No, you can just do they exams yourself without a specific degree, so long as you have an aptitude in maths (ie., maths degree, A in LC maths etc.). You might have a harder time getting a job though if you don't have exemptions/some exams passed to show commitment in the area. The exams are quite gruelling, so be aware of what you are signing yourself up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I am just finishing the actuary qualification. You definitely don't need the postgrad. I didn't do any actuarial degree, just Economics and Finance. I basically started from scratch a few years ago.

If you are finding it hard to get somewhere to take you on try doing CT1 as a 'non member'. This is basically one of the easiest exams and you can do it without being employed in an actuarial role. If you can pass, this will prove you have the aptitude for the rest.

Let me know if you have further questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpShoot

Pythia wrote: »
    I am just finishing the actuary qualification. You definitely don't need the postgrad. I didn't do any actuarial degree, just Economics and Finance. I basically started from scratch a few years ago.

If you are finding it hard to get somewhere to take you on try doing CT1 as a 'non member'. This is basically one of the easiest exams and you can do it without being employed in an actuarial role. If you can pass, this will prove you have the aptitude for the rest.

Let me know if you have further questions! :)

thanks for the advice! when you started from scratch how did you get going? did you just apply to some company, sat the first exam and and worked your way up?

what would you suggest i do?

SharpShoot wrote: »
    thanks for the advice! when you started from scratch how did you get going? did you just apply to some company, sat the first exam and and worked your way up?

what would you suggest i do?

Yes, I just applied, got a job and started at the exams, paid for by the employer. I did manage to get two exemptions out of my degree so that's 13 exams I had to do.

I did work in an analytical field that was not actuarial for 3 years so I did not apply straight from college.

Did you just graduate? If you were just in college, did you not think of applying for grad programmes?

What you do really depends on what you are doing now. Are you working at all? Are you long graduated?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpShoot

ah right , i might contact an an actuarial company so and see what they think of it all.

yeah i finished my undergrad degree last month and just got results. I did think of applying to the grad programs but i simply couldn't afford them. 10k for the one in UCD and 6k for UCC, plus i was told i didn't do well enough in calculus back in first and second year to be able to get into an actuarial course so thats why im looking at this route

• Advertisement

SharpShoot wrote: »
    ah right , i might contact an an actuarial company so and see what they think of it all.

yeah i finished my undergrad degree last month and just got results. I did think of applying to the grad programs but i simply couldn't afford them. 10k for the one in UCD and 6k for UCC, plus i was told i didn't do well enough in calculus back in first and second year to be able to get into an actuarial course so thats why im looking at this route

Sorry I meant applying for jobs that are at a graduate level in a company. They are often called graduate programmes. A lot of places would have been advertising jobs back at Xmas or spring. When I was in college, the big actuarial places did their interviews around then.

Advertisement