Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse careers??

Options
  • 04-07-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys,
    So I'm going into 6th year and I'm looking at career courses as I'm not 100% sure at want I want to do. I've considered languages as I love linguistics, but I think being able to speak multiple languages is more of a hobby for me than a career.
    The only thing I was certain of was that I definitely want to have horses in my future. Ideally, I want to compete full time, but let's be realistic about it.
    So anyway, I was wondering what types of courses are available in the horse industry? I've ruled out anything to do with racing and I would also be unsuitable as a vet as I wouldn't have the heart to tell someone they're horse had to be put down. Also, I'm bad with injuries.

I was thinking about training and breeding as I love schooling and bringing on horses. But what courses are available for that?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Training TBs or sports horses? Breeding at the moment is a money pit, it's very hard to make money breeding at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

where are you based?

Check out the FETAC equestrian courses that are available - some are part time, most I believe include riding modules, and stable management modules.

There is a degree course in NUIM in Equine Business:
    https://www.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/courses/bbs-equine-business

There are equestrian courses in Kildalton College in Piltown, Co Waterford that include breeding, business, horsemanship:

http://www.teagasc.ie/training/courses/equine_courses.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There's also Equine Science in UL. Honestly OP, there isn't a huge amount of jobs in the equine sector and the ones that are there are tough and badly paid, if you do get paid. I'm going into my fourth year and as a class, we are all scratching our heads. Unless you're lucky, working for someone can be gruelling and setting up yourself is very expensive. If I were you, I'd go with something else, get a good job in that and then delve into the equine sector.
    In saying that, there seems to be shortage of dentists, if that's something you would consider looking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MsMac

I'm based in Dublin.

And yeah, I'd consider dentistry. I don't think that trying to come up with careers outside the equine sector would help me a lot right now, as doing so is how I ended up so confused, but that doesn't mean that I won't keep an open mind about it. I'll be attending a lot of open days, so I'll keep an eye out for any courses that peak my interest. It's a shame though that there doesn't seem to be any business in breeding or training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Why not get a degree in something to fall back on & while doing that do your BHS Exams to qualify as an Instructor & freelance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement