Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights in garage

Options
  • 04-07-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking to do a bit of Electrical DIY. We have a pretty big garage which can be entered from both ends. There's only one light fitting that hosts a single light bulb, and only one light switch. So, if you happen to enter from the right end you can turn on the light, albeit the light is totally inadequate.

So I'd like to wire it so that I have a switch at both entrances and have more light fittings. The garage is 10 metres long, 4.5 metres wide. I was thinking that having three rows (width direction) of double fluorescent lights equally spaced lights would give plenty of light. I'm not too worried about electricity consumption as the lights will only be on for short periods.

I have lots of spare light bulbs & starters (is that what they are called??), Spectralux White NL-T8 18W/840 bulbs. I'm hoping to use these. So I need some general advice about do's and dont's, and a shopping list I suppose. I have a good local electrical shop who sells to the trade so can get anything I need. Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Firstly, you'll need a two way circuit to switch from both ends of the garage. Not rocket science but the fact that you would need to ask this would lead me to advise you to think about getting a competent electrician to help.
    No offence intended there. :)

If you're intent on DIY then google "two way light circuit".

Loading should not be a problem for the fluorescents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for that. I'll be careful and well informed by the time I begin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Do you have a seperate fuse board in the garage. This sounds about a 2 hour job for an electrician would you not just swallow the cost of 2 hours labour and get it done professionally. You can still supply the material yourself

It's not a money thing, I like to try things! No separate fuse board no. Only one. One of the old ones with the screw in fuses

Ok then bare with me on this. You have a phase , neutral and earth in the garage already if you have an existing light. Next thing to do is find out which way it's wired already. Easiest way is to open the ceiling rose of the light. If you only have 2 single wires and a seperate earth it means the phase is at the light switch. If you have 2 twin and earth cables it means the phase is at the light. Depending on what way it's done will bring me on to my next set of instructions and also a shopping list. Oh a pic would be handy of what you find

• Advertisement

Hi. Sorry the delay in getting back, I thought I had posted the reply with a pic, but was doing it on my phone in the garage and something must have gone wrong! Now can't find the pic on the phone.

Thanks for the advice and the offer of ongoing advice.

This is the set up as far as I can make out. There are two wires coming straight from behind fuse board. One goes left to the light fitting, one goes right to the switch. Then there is one wire going from the light fitting straight to the switch. So two wires into each of the light fitting and the switch.

Does this make sense? Hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi. Sorry the delay in getting back, I thought I had posted the reply with a pic, but was doing it on my phone in the garage and something must have gone wrong! Now can't find the pic on the phone.

Thanks for the advice and the offer of ongoing advice.

This is the set up as far as I can make out. There are two wires coming straight from behind fuse board. One goes left to the light fitting, one goes right to the switch. Then there is one wire going from the light fitting straight to the switch. So two wires into each of the light fitting and the switch.

Does this make sense? Hope so!

Yes makes sense.

"Then there is one wire going from the light fitting straight to the switch." Take this wire out at the switch end and run it to the new switch location, it should connect to the terminal marked "COM".

Then take two new 1.5mm brown single wires and run them between the switch locations.

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Am I jumping the gun (or taking liberties) asking for a shopping list at this stage? I'll need to buy everything that I end up needing, ideally I will have all I need as you add the steps. So far my shopping list is:

- two switches (the current one is very old, round black think, needs to be replaced), not sure what type
    - 1.5mm brown wires

Thanks,

BM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You need 2X two way switches and the cable. As said above move the wire, from the switch to the light, to the new switch location. connect it to com on the new switch. The brown wires are wired into L1 and L2 on the new switches

REMOVE THE FUSE FIRST!!!

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I will take the fuse out before I do anything!!

Just to avoid any confusion, where I am replacing the existing switch with a new 2x switch, I will put the wire from the fuse box into the com. I think that's right anyhow, can't see how it would be otherwise.

I have to get to the electrical shop now and get the cable and switches, and the new light fittings.

That's the only gap above is re adding multiple light fittings in place of the single one.

Obviously (to be anyway), I will get it working as is for now. i.e. existing light fitting with two switches. Then swap in one new fitting and ensure it works.

Then I will replace the light fitting with 2+ fittings. How does the wiring work when there are multiple fittings? Is it just one wire into the "first" fitting from the com on the new switch, then one wire into each of the fittings from the previous one, and then the last fitting goes into the fuse box? Seems like it has to work this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

I have not heard any mention of an Earth cable?
    i would always make sure there is an earth at the switch and light, even if they are plastic, encase u change your mind in the future and install metal switches or lights...

Ok here is my instructions.
    The single you have at the switch ( SW1) connect it to the COM of your new SW1. Run a twin brown & earth 1.5mm2 from SW1 to SW2. Connect these to L1 & L2 of both switches. If your using plastic boxes just terminate the earth in a connector. Run a single brown 1.5 mm2 and an earth from COM of SW2 to your first light. Run a 1.5mm2 twin and earth from light one to light two and so on for as many lights as you want to fit. At your last light take the old single wire you have in your existing light and connect it to the neutral. So at the last light you will have 2 blues and 1 brown. Retire the wire you had between your old switch and light.
    I hope this helps

I've only just got around to getting the gear for this. I got a bit put off by the attitude of the fella in the suppliers. I suppose he's used to dealing with people who speak the same language. So now I have one long piece of cable that has two brown coated wires in it, and a single uncovered wire. Is this a twin brown and earth? So that's used for the first bit in Luckysasha post above.

I'm not that clear what cables I need beyond that. It seems I need the following:

- a 1.5mm single brown and earth for COM of SW2 to light one (this is a cable with one brown and one naked?)
    - a 1.5mm twin and earth for between all the lights (this is a cable with one blue one brown and one naked?)

And I'm not sure about this bit "So at the last light you will have 2 blues and 1 brown". Where are the two blues coming from??

Sorry for being so dumb.

I've only just got around to getting the gear for this. I got a bit put off by the attitude of the fella in the suppliers. I suppose he's used to dealing with people who speak the same language. So now I have one long piece of cable that has two brown coated wires in it, and a single uncovered wire. Is this a twin brown and earth? So that's used for the first bit in Luckysasha post above.

I'm not that clear what cables I need beyond that. It seems I need the following:

- a 1.5mm single brown and earth for COM of SW2 to light one (this is a cable with one brown and one naked?)
    - a 1.5mm twin and earth for between all the lights (this is a cable with one blue one brown and one naked?)

And I'm not sure about this bit "So at the last light you will have 2 blues and 1 brown". Where are the two blues coming from??

Sorry for being so dumb.

The 1.5mm2 single brown and earth will be two seperate wires. You need to ask for 1.5mm2 PVC / PVC which is basically a copper wire with a brown sheath covered by a grey PVC outer sheath. The earth is 1.5mm2 earth which is a stranded copper wire with a green / yellow sheath.

Yes the 1.5mm2 twin and earth is the one cable. It has a brown core a blue core and a bare earth.

The last bit about the 2 blues at the last light is only applicable if you have more than one light. Your existing light has a blue at it. This is your neutral back to the fuseboard.

To be honest if you can't understand this basic circuit and you obviously haven't used or even saw these wires before I would be very hesitant about you tackling this job. Electricity is very dangerous and bad workmanship leads to fires so please get someone who knows what their doing

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm going to give it a go. If I am not 100% certain that I am not doing it correctly I will get a professional to do it.

Advertisement