Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk - is it just me ?

Options
  • 04-07-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Local issue perhaps, anyone else notice the milk is going off well before its bbd?

More than a few times now I've made myself a nice cup of coffee only to have it ruined by the milk curdling when I've added it.

Tried turning my fridge temp down but it still happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh my god - thought this was just me

Where did you buy the milk?

I bought some in tesco twice and it went off.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Yep. Superquinn / supervalu. I always get my milk from the back in the hope it lasts longer. The open coolers dont seem to be that cool and i wonder if thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe its just the recent warm weather

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I was a milkman for 8 years and i regularly took bloated milk cartons and bottles out of shops that were still well in date but others with the same date were fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd say it's more likely to be the time it spends in between the delivery truck and the in-store fridge. Some mornings have been quite warm recently. It wouldn't take long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm with spurious on this. I reckon it's the time in between refrigerated truck and shop coolers. Delivered early and left out in the warm early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

switch to cream (or butter)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Its not just recently though or when the weather is warm. I notice it all year round and one brand is much worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just did this to a cup of tea last week, first time its happened to me in about 15 years, Aldi milk, 2L, still > a week left on its sell buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The best before date on milk is dependant on the place you buy it keeping it refrigerated as soon as its delivered.

I used to work in Tesco and plenty of times I saw the dairy dept leaving the milk palates out for hours before putting them into the fridge.

Its probably worse for small shops because they just get their milk left outside the shop until someone comes along and opens up, and on a warm morning this isn't good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I find Spar own brand really bad for this. I don't buy it anymore.
    It occasionally happens with other brands too.
    Got a small carton of cream the other day and that tasted off too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was a milkman for 8 years and i regularly took bloated milk cartons and bottles out of shops that were still well in date but others with the same date were fine.
    how many kids did you sire in the locality during those 8 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to work in Tesco and plenty of times I saw the dairy dept leaving the milk palates out for hours before putting them into the fridge.
    I see this in my tesco too, it used to be 24hrs and I would see all the stuff left out if I was in during the early morning.

Also the open fridges are simply not that cold there. I could not drink milk out of tesco straight off the shelf, not cold enough, while in dunnes & lidl I have gotten brain freeze from drinking the milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Maybe its just the recent warm weather
    indeed

was thinking about this recently, that its crazy that its normal in Ireland for milkmen to have floats/ vans without refrigeration and its only asking for trouble.
    (Fr ted episode, possibly during a world cup game, or a clíp on facebook, but either way, reminded me of the laisez faire attitude)

grand, thats nothing to do with tesco/ dunnes or whoever on the face of it BUT if the general attitude of retail (and milk men) is that milk can take a bit of room temperature as per normal, and reliance that irelands miserable climate will compensate for their laziness, then come a spell of less than regularily cool weather you'll have milk that is being let get overly warm at some stage of the cool chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Matter of interest OP, where in the fridge do you keep the milk?

There was a scene in House MD from a few years back where one of the characters(I think it was Wilson) had a pet peeve about the milk being in the door of the fridge. He said, and I am paraphrasing that because the door gets opened, the part of the fridge with the biggest variable in temperature is the door, which means the milk goes off quick. Instead, at the back of the fridge was the best place for it, on the bottom if you've a freezer below it.

Don't shoot the messenger, it was a 30 second scene in a TV drama series, but I have to admit it does make some sense.

When I was in primary school a load of kids got sick from the milk that got delivered because it was off. (tbh I dont know how they managed this, I can smell milk thats gone off or on the turn a mile away), but anyway, they figured out that the milk was being delivered at 7, being left in the sun and not being brought in until 9.30 when school started.

Being sick from bad Benny Bunny? Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Switch to Almond milk (not Rad/UH-Treated though), it's a bit more alkaline forming (good), {better than Soya}. Coconut milk is also excellent, both these actually make a cupofta taste fine and dandy and are free from Lactose. Like Gluten, there could be many folks out there unknowingly sensitive or slightly allergic to these proteins...

Humans are the only earth species to drink 'cross-species milk produce' on purpose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

FirstIn wrote: »
    Local issue perhaps, anyone else notice the milk is going off well before its bbd?

Happened to me last weekend as well. Ruined a perfectly nice cup of coffee that I'd spent several minutes preparing :mad:

Check the milk before pouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mrcheez wrote: »
    Check the milk before pouring.
    And maybe heat it. I have steamed milk for coffee which looked and smelt grand but went horrible upon heating.
    Joe Doe wrote: »
    Humans are the only earth species to drink 'cross-species milk produce' on purpose :)
    Many mammals drink other mammals milk. For instance, pigs are notorious for breaking into the dairy barn just to drink from the cows. Some animals also sometimes nurse orphan animals of other species. Primates love cow’s milk and ask for it from their handlers. Raccoons prefer it when dumpster diving/scrounging around in cities. The Red Billed Oxpecker perches on the udders of Impala and drinks their milk. On Isla de Guadalupe, feral cats, seagulls, and sheathbills regularly steal the milk directly from the teats of elephant seals. Predators in African savannahs fight viciously over the full udders of the nursing animals they’ve hunted down. Most animals would gladly consume milk if you gave it to them; they just lack the access, brain power, and opposable thumb to get it. ”

Dawn Gifford at Small Footprint Family

Advertisement