Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of dropping out - NCAD vs DIT

Options
  • 04-07-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I really need someone who's studying Visual Communications in DIT to help me. I've had about 10 weeks of vis comm in ncad and I found that it was mainly self directed projects - given a topic and think of a solution. I hated that. I want to learn HOW to make things - how to make posters, flyers, book covers. How typography works best and logo creation. Colour theory and illustration.

I have none of that, and I'm panicking now because if I "wait and see" if NCAD gets better then I'm stuck paying full fees for second year in DIT vis comm. If I drop out if NCAD and wait, then go to DIT, DIT could be crap. Or I mightn't get in.

What were the degree shows like? I couldn't find info on when the DIT show was and missed it, and I was working when the NCAD show was. Anyone in DIT who can weigh in? I've asked in the DIT forum but no one replied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Don't know much about the NCAD side of things, but I knew a girl doing vis comm in DIT and loved it. Last I knew she was working at layout in a national broadsheet. While in 3rd year. But she just may have been one of those "super people."

The DIT course is supposed to be quite good, but I don't really know any of the specifics!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 A Wanda called Fish

I just graduated from LSAD and from going to interviews and seeing the competition the students who really seem to shine in Dublin either come from IADT or DIT. Both have incredibly strong courses and seem to cover the basics well. However I know that Conor Clarke took over in NCAD this year and I think that could only be a change for the better. He's got an incredible track record as a designer himself and I'd say he'll lead the course in a pretty strong direction. Go with your gut.

Advertisement