Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre for Exchange Only (EO) lines

Options
  • 04-07-2014 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi any updates on what if anything Eircom is going to do to help customers or potential customers whose phone lines are connected direct to the local exchange and do not go through a cabinet, to get Fibre Broadband?? I live in Youghal literally down the road from the exchange and my estate and the next estate are like islands in the town surrounded by the Efibre sea and we cant get it. Approx 150 houses affected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

timmydel1 wrote: »
    Hi any updates on what if anything Eircom is going to do to help customers or potential customers whose phone lines are connected direct to the local exchange and do not go through a cabinet, to get Fibre Broadband?? I live in Youghal literally down the road from the exchange and my estate and the next estate are like islands in the town surrounded by the Efibre sea and we cant get it. Approx 150 houses affected.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi timmydel1

*edited to reflecct correction in information

I can confirm that at present there is yet to be an agreed process to offer efibre to lines directly connected to the exchange. A solution is being worked towards this and as soon as we have more information on this I will let you know with an update to this thread.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Alan... this is not an entirely accurate summation of the situation. Some premises are connected directly to the exchange rather than via any cabinet. In this instance it has nothing to do with cabinets, and since cabinets are usually located at aggregation points, such as the entrance to an estate, those on a direct connection cannot be re-routed through a cabinet, since no such aggregation point exists.

If you are one such unlucky individual (as I am) you are not going to see any improvement in the situation any time soon, if at all.

We are just too worthless to consider upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

gerryk wrote: »
    Hi Alan... this is not an entirely accurate summation of the situation. Some premises are connected directly to the exchange rather than via any cabinet. In this instance it has nothing to do with cabinets, and since cabinets are usually located at aggregation points, such as the entrance to an estate, those on a direct connection cannot be re-routed through a cabinet, since no such aggregation point exists.

If you are one such unlucky individual (as I am) you are not going to see any improvement in the situation any time soon, if at all.

I have a feeling you are correct gerryk and fibre will be a long time coming for us. 

Thanks for the reply anyway Alan.
       Surely where the phone lines come into the estate a cabinet could be placed and the lines patched through this? There must be thousands of direct to exchange lines all over Ireland since this was the way connections were done years ago. 
    It would be nice if Eircom could publish something about this situation and what it is hoped to do to solve it.I also dont think it fair that we are paying the same as someone who has a fibre connection.

I have a feeling you are correct gerryk and fibre will be a long time coming for us. 

Surely where the phone lines come into the estate a cabinet could be placed and the lines patched through this? There must be thousands of direct to exchange lines all over Ireland since this was the way connections were done years ago. 
    It would be nice if Eircom could publish something about this situation and what it is hoped to do to solve it.I also dont think it fair that we are paying the same as someone who has a fibre connection.
    timmydel1, I am getting serious flashbacks to about 12 years ago... Almost everywhere with a population over 100 had DSL connectivity, but my parents' home, about 2 miles from a village with >5k people could barely get 33.3Kbps on a landline. 
    Until 4 years ago, the people that lived on the road that I eventually built my house still could not get DSL due to lines failing prequal. It was only when I had a chat with the local engineer that the last 500m of copper was re-run... probably for the first time in 50 years. Finally myself and those on my little road could get DSL connectivity, albeit at ~ 3Mbps.

Hi timmydel1

I can understand your feeling on this but I can confirm that eircom do not plan to communicate or publish updates on the situation concerning directly fed lines until a solution has been identified and planned to be put in place- however I will certainly make sure your feedback reaches operations.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi timmydel1

I can understand your feeling on this but I can confirm that eircom do not plan to communicate or publish updates on the situation concerning directly fed lines until a solution has been identified and planned to be put in place- however I will certainly make sure your feedback reaches operations.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan... thanks for the reply. I believe that within the constraints of the information you are provided that you are being truthful. However, I also believe that the economic reality is that Eircom has no interest in the 'last 20%', since the cost/benefit would not make it worth their while.

Hi timmydel1

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan... thanks for the reply. I believe that within the constraints of the information you are provided that you are being truthful. However, I also believe that the economic reality is that Eircom has no interest in the 'last 20%', since the cost/benefit would not make it worth their while.
    Thanks Gerry

I can understand your feelings and I see why the lack of information can be discouraging although I can assure you that a solution is indeed being looked in to.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Hi timmydel1

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Gerry

I can understand your feelings and I see why the lack of information can be discouraging although I can assure you that a solution is indeed being looked in to.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan. We will continue to wait so :-)

Hi timmydel1

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Gerry

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan. We will continue to wait so :-)

Thanks timmydel1

I can relate to the urgency :)Sorry I don’t have better news for you at this time

Al

Hi timmydel1

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Gerry

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan... been a couple of months. Any further news for customers directly connected to the exchange?

• Advertisement

Hi gerryk

The latest update that I have on directly fed lines is that we should have more news on timeframes in the begining of 2015. Apologies for the lack of detail but hopefully I'll have more news in January.

Al

Advertisement