Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eucalyptus planting

• 04-07-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

hi im thinking of planting about 50 eucalyptus in a paddock I have they will be for firewood in 5 years I have two in the garden and bejaysus they grow quick
    any suggestions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Will they make good firewood with the oils they contain? Would it help soot accumulation?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 hereford

they would need a lot of drying but I don't mind that
    I heard they cause soot problems as well. they did trials in the uk on them and had great results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have gone for a mix of willow/sycamore/poplar/ash. Tried and tested.

Eucalyptus grows very fast and is a less dense wood and gives the appearance of more than it is. Eucalyptus has been discussed here before, have a look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77668614

The long term survival of eucalyptus here is a very dubious thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 hereford

yes I was even thinking ash might be better but might be 8 years before coppice. eucalyptus is classed as an alien species and is hard on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I've done a fair bit of research on eucalyptus and what's fairly clear is that site selection and species are critical to the level of success you will achieve. There are hundreds of varieties of eucalyptus and while some are more frost resistant than others they don't coppice particularly well. Here's a Coford study on eucalyptus and dplant might be able to help you in your species selection. On balance I have decided against eucalyptus when I'm sowing trees for firewood and will probably go with the likes of willow, alder and downy birch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have seen 4 metre E glaucescens cut down to the stump and re-grow. This is the common type found in gardens with the blueish circular juvenile leaves. The wood grows in a twisted form though and is difficult to split.
    Eucalyptus wood is generally quite heavy, very calorific, and great firewood.
    Niphophila (snow gum) and Dalrympleana (mountain gum) are fully hardy in Ireland, even inland, and very fast growing.
    E. Globulus is one that grows wild along the east coast but is not fully hardy inland.

Advertisement