Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samoa V New Zealand, Wed 8/7 SS1 silly am

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Emigration really is such a hot topic at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Wang King wrote: »
    Again, the real point here imo is being missed.
    It's not about poaching per say as the Samoan people in order to work and live move to New Zealand en masse.(someone mentioned why don't we play in Portugal, perhaps if the Portuguese people had emigrated here and made a huge contribution to our club game, then yes, but they haven't ) WC1991 the islanders were not represented in the AB team (I think 1 player had a Samoan mother perhaps) but the physical impact that the American Samoa team had on the world cup made everyone stand up and take notice. The powers that be within the AB regime saw that they had this huge untapped resource on their doorstep, and from then on the actively recruited the younger players and brought them thru the system.
    I'm sure many players thought they would have long careers in the AB shirt, but the amount of "1 cap" wonders is amazing, we sit here saying that everything is fair and above board..... Lads...read what Samoan players and coaches have written, tweeted etc and you will see the depth of feeling on the subject.
    It's been suggested, and I tend to agree, if a player had played 1 or 2 games for the AB's that perhaps they should be allowed play for their ancestral home. It's a bit ridiculous that we expect kids to turn down the financial benefits to both themselves and their families of coming thru the AB system and playing club rugby, and then being discarded because the next Savea has come thru.
    Perhaps a cooling off period of 3 years and then you can play for the country you and your parents emigrated from.
    To me, its not about poaching, its more to do with a disposable resource that NZ have at their fingertips, get them thru the schools, bring them on, cap em, if they're good, keep em, if not Chuck em and move onto the next batch (I'm being a bit harsh here, but the general point stands) even Bernard Jackman has said this is now in the French game and getting more prevalent.

Maybe I should move this to the off-topic thread as a philosophical discussion. What defines someone as a Kiwi? It seems to me that most people feel that if someone is born and raised in NZ, but his grandparents came from Samoa, then he is really Samoan and not really Kiwi at all.

I guess, when you take all the Standowskis etc who moved to Ireland in the good times, and in 30 years or whatever it is, when their grandchildren are born in the Coombe or Cork University, will you consider them Irish or really just Polish and not Irish at all.

Given my experience in Ireland, where it's virtually impossible to ever be considered genuinely Irish unless you go back centuries, probably the latter. Ireland is an old country, with superstitions, a Catholic background, inherent distrust of outsiders etc, whereas NZ is a young country, and aside the Maoris, everyone arrived from elsewhere. It doesn't take long in NZ to be considered a Kiwi if you show yourself willing, in Ireland you'll always be an outsider, certainly in the more rural parts anyway.

There are loads of inaccuracies in your points by the way, not least American Samoa...

Edit: NZ 1991 team (25 member squad) had 3 players with Pacific Origins (Michael Jones, born Auckland; Graeme Bachop, born Chch; Va'aiga Tuigamala, born Samoa), just another of the facts you got wrong there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Swiwi. wrote: »
    What defines someone as a Kiwi?

Inability to say the word Tent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Maybe I should move this to the off-topic thread as a philosophical discussion. What defines someone as a Kiwi? It seems to me that most people feel that if someone is born and raised in NZ, but his grandparents came from Samoa, then he is really Samoan and not really Kiwi at all.

I guess, when you take all the Standowskis etc who moved to Ireland in the good times, and in 30 years or whatever it is, when their grandchildren are born in the Coombe or Cork University, will you consider them Irish or really just Polish and not Irish at all.

Given my experience in Ireland, where it's virtually impossible to ever be considered genuinely Irish unless you go back centuries, probably the latter. Ireland is an old country, with superstitions, a Catholic background, inherent distrust of outsiders etc, whereas NZ is a young country, and aside the Maoris, everyone arrived from elsewhere. It doesn't take long in NZ to be considered a Kiwi if you show yourself willing, in Ireland you'll always be an outsider, certainly in the more rural parts anyway.

There are loads of inaccuracies in your points by the way, not least American Samoa...

Should watch my predictive text and corrections at times. Played as Western Samoa so as not to be confused with American Samoa ,soz wikk change

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Inability to say the word Tent.

Sure, it's Tent.

Should watch my predictive text and corrections at times. Played as Western Samoa so as not to be confused with American Samoa ,soz wikk change

NB: the NZRFU did propose what you suggested about letting people play for more than 1 country. I believe your union among others vetoed this proposal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think you might be looking at NZ with the old rose tinted glasses there Swiwi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'll be honest I have zero idea of how much of this takes place. I know fekitoa approached Wesley college himself, Naholo went to a school in wanganui. Maybe you know more about how much Auckland schools look outside their indigenous Polynesian population, I genuinely don't know. In any case a 41 man all black squad has 2 players who moved to NZ as teenagers. Not players tearing it up at adult level who were then shoulder tapped by the nzrfu.

Edit: as you are one of the posters who tends to like fact over surmising, have you read or seen somewhere that NZ schools pay for a scout to fly to the Pacific Islands, stay in a hotel, and attend local rugby matches and then offer scholarships?? Just like American colleges, I imagine some NZ schools offer rugby scholarships, but I doubt they actually send people out to the Islands, rather you send in an application. For public schools, there is no way the government would allow such use of funds, and I doubt private schools do either.

I have no idea how it comes about but let's not pretend that a guy arriving into a New Zealand school at the age of 17 or 18 is there for any reason other than rugby.

I have no idea how it comes about but let's not pretend that a guy arriving into a New Zealand school at the age of 17 or 18 is there for any reason other than rugby.

Indeed. I won't even try to dispute that. Whether he is driving the process or whether he has been actively plucked from the islands is another matter. It seems neither of us knows what goes on in this regard. I would point out again though that more Samoans live in Auckland than Samoa.

If anyone has evidence of school or nzrfu scouts heading to the islands to recruit I would be interested. NB the South Island doesn't count...

• Advertisement

17 or 18 year olds are also well capable of deciding to go play rugby where they think they'll get the most benefit.

17 or 18 year olds are also well capable of deciding to go play rugby where they think they'll get the most benefit.

As I think I've shown (maybe unsuccessfuly), the vast majority of Pacific Islandes who play for NZ, are born in NZ and grow up there. Some others come for rugby in their high school years, and some come for rugby and university studies (I imagine a degree from Suva Univeristy has less international appeal than Auckland or Otago university).

The NZRFU is not a charity, if a player is playing in NZ and has international options, I would expect them to make a case for choosing NZ, otherwise they're are not doing their job properly. That's hardly unique to NZ. I imagine the IRFU had a talk to Rhys Ruddock about the Wales v Ireland option for example.

I don't belive the NZRFU flies out to the Islands on a regualr basis recruiting players, or heads to France or wherever the Islanders play, and gets them to come to NZ and declare for NZ.

As I think I've shown (maybe unsuccessfuly), the vast majority of Pacific Islandes who play for NZ, are born in NZ and grow up there. Some others come for rugby in their high school years, and some come for rugby and university studies (I imagine a degree from Suva Univeristy has less international appeal than Auckland or Otago university).

I may have been slightly unclear but I essentially agree. A 17 year old moving from Samoa to a larger country with more opportunities isn't exactly earth-shattering stuff. I imagine many (perhaps the majority, perhaps the vast majority, who knows) do it off their own backs. They're not idiots, they know what the best option for them financially is. If they're good enough they won't need a recruiting spiel from the NZRFU, they'll quite likely want to move there.

I may have been slightly unclear but I essentially agree. A 17 year old moving from Samoa to a larger country with more opportunities isn't exactly earth-shattering stuff. I imagine many (perhaps the majority, perhaps the vast majority, who knows) do it off their own backs. They're not idiots, they know what the best option for them financially is. If they're good enough they won't need a recruiting spiel from the NZRFU, they'll quite likely want to move there.

Yup that's it. No different to your Irish football player who wants a shot at the Liverpool academy. It was fekitoa who approached Wesley college. But for every fekitoa there are other players who do other things than stay in NZ. Plenty of Pacific island players in Europe as we know.

NB: the NZRFU did propose what you suggested about letting people play for more than 1 country. I believe your union among others vetoed this proposal.

The Welsh union?

The Welsh union?

A Kerry (or is it Cork or Limerick, I forget) Welshman??

• Advertisement

A Kerry (or is it Cork or Limerick, I forget) Welshman??

English born, of Irish and Welsh parentage....ie mongrel ;)

Of course, it's a no-brainer for them as individuals. Some kid in the relative poverty of Tonga or Samoa gets the chance to go to a prestigious New Zealand school and maybe get a pro career at the end of it, of course he's going to take it.

But it's still NZ schools cherry-picking guys from the islands on the basis of their rugby ability.

Edit: I don't particularly find this practice objectionable but it's relevant in the current discussion.

Of course, it's a no-brainer for them as individuals. Some kid in the relative poverty of Tonga or Samoa gets the chance to go to a prestigious New Zealand school and maybe get a pro career at the end of it, of course he's going to take it.

But it's still NZ schools cherry-picking guys from the islands on the basis of their rugby ability.

So are we debating NZRFU here or "NZ schools" (of which we are both short of knowledge on this particular subject)? Do we have any facts of figures on this? At all? Or is it pie in the sky stuff, in that we actually haven't got a lot to go on? Which schools have scholarships? Are they purely rugby scholarships? Are they reserved for Pacific Islanders? Etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So are we debating NZRFU here or "NZ schools" (of which we are both short of knowledge on this particular subject)? Do we have any facts of figures on this? At all? Or is it pie in the sky stuff, in that we actually haven't got a lot to go on? Which schools have scholarships? Are they purely rugby scholarships? Are they reserved for Pacific Islanders? Etc etc.
    I havent really seen stats etc but there is plenty of articles on NZ schools offering scholarships/poaching. Look up "scholarships rugby new Zealand schools" etc and you will see plenty of schools offer them. They may not officially for rugby but essentially are. Not reserved for Islanders...

• Advertisement

It's not pie in the sky at all, you know as well as I do that it goes on. I'm not sure what you're disputing tbh. The rights and wrongs are debatable but the existence of such a process is not.

NZRFU obviously don't give out scholarships but they are the ultimate beneficiaries if/when these guys declare for NZ.

It's not pie in the sky at all, you know as well as I do that it goes on. I'm not sure what you're disputing tbh. The rights and wrongs are debatable but the existence of such a process is not.

NZRFU obviously don't give out scholarships but they are the ultimate beneficiaries if/when these guys declare for NZ.

Yes I agree in principle. I do wonder though how many capped All Blacks actually came through the pathway of a schools rugby scholarship (ie leaving the islands to attend a secondary school on a rugby scholarship)?? I'd say single digits max. Hardly a pandemic.

Edit: if I take the 2007 RWC squad, which is often cited as the worst example of NZ poaching, we have 30 players and 12 with Pacific Heritage. Of those 12, Mealamu, Tialata, Howlett, and Mauger are born in NZ. Collins, Lauaki, Masoe, So'oialo, Muliaina, Rococoko, Sivivavatu and Toeava are born in the Islands. Muliaiana arrived aged 2, Rococoko aged 5. Collins I don't know, but he went to Silverstream Town, and wasn't on a rugby scholarship. Lauaki, Masoe, So'oialo, Toeava I can't find any information, but all arrived no later than high school. Sivivatu was actually on a soccer scholarship, I think he arrived the latest. I can't do any more research than that, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes I agree in principle. I do wonder though how many capped All Blacks actually came through the pathway of a schools rugby scholarship (ie leaving the islands to attend a secondary school on a rugby scholarship)?? I'd say single digits max. Hardly a pandemic.

This isn't New Zealand's problem, this is just a problem created in New Zealand. The real question is how many potential internationals did not go on to represent those countries because they were brought across.

IBF has entered the fray. Game over for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

The flipside of course is the number of NZ born players playing for Samoa. 16 players in Samoa's 2011 RWC squad were born in NZ. That's not counting those raised predominantly in NZ. I imagine their 2015 squad won't be much different.

How many Samoan born players in the current ABs? Zero.

(Unless you want to count American Samoan born Jerome Kaino who came to NZ as a toddler, though I'm not sure if that makes him eligible for Samoa.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Edit: NZ 1991 team (25 member squad) had 3 players with Pacific Origins (Michael Jones, born Auckland; Graeme Bachop, born Chch; Va'aiga Tuigamala, born Samoa), just another of the facts you got wrong there.

You forgot Walter Little. Born in Tokoroa of Fijian ancestory.

I grew up in Auckland and you often heard stories of scholarships for rugby. Some examples were Joe Rokocoko, the Brooke brothers, Walter Little and John Afoa. All of them got scholarships to private boarding schools after being seen playing rugby for crappy state schools in poor neighbourhoods or towns in NZ. A mate of mine got the exact same thing.

Sivivatu and Fekitoa are the only ones I've heard of from the islands. I have no doubt that there NZ schools that offer scholarships to kids from the islands. I don't believe it's a case of sending scouts but more likely when the schools tour the islands or when schools from the islands tour NZ.

I think it's great that the ABs are playing Samoa in Samoa. But it is just a PR exercise. The Samoan union would have made more money if the game was played in Auckland.

I believe that the eligibility rules need to be changed. Something like if a player makes less than 10 or 15 appearances for a tier 1 nation, they should be allowed to switch to a tier 2 nation after a stand down period of maybe 3 years.

Re: the actual match, former Connacht back-rower Ofisa Treviranus will captain the Samoans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Samoan squad named

Wayne Ole Avei, Ma'atulimanu Leiataua, Viliamu Afatia, Census Johnston, Anthony Perenise, Sakaria Taulafo, Kane Thompson, Teofilo Paulo, Iosefa Tekori, Fa'atiga Lemalu, Alafoti Faosiliva, Jack Lam, Ofisa Treviranus (captain), Maurie Fa'asavalu, T.J. Ioane, Kahn Fotuali'i, Peleifofoga Cowley, Tusi Pisi, Michael Stanley, Alofa Alofa, Ken Pisi, Alesana Tuilagi, Faialaga Afamasaga, Johnny Leota, Paul Perez, Tim Nanai-Williams, Ah See Tuala

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for the interested, the game is on on 8th July at 15:00 in samoa, which is 03:00 on the same day here ;)

Did that Michael Stanley guy ever actually play for Ulster? (and if so, is he any use?)

• Advertisement

Did that Michael Stanley guy ever actually play for Ulster? (and if so, is he any use?)

he played against scarlets and dragons

http://www.pro12rugby.com/statzone/players.php?player=82095&includeref=dynamic#ZzlxIspH7FlTfVMY.97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

The game will be shown on Sky Sports. Reckon that's a record and have quick watch in the morning match.

Samoans will get a half-day public holiday next Wednesday so they can watch the historic rugby Test between Manu Samoa and the All Blacks in Apia.

The Samoan Prime Minister Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi, who is also the chairman of Samoa's rugby union, says a public announcement to confirm the public holiday will be made next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Samoan squad named

Wayne Ole Avei, Ma'atulimanu Leiataua, Viliamu Afatia, Census Johnston, Anthony Perenise, Sakaria Taulafo, Kane Thompson, Teofilo Paulo, Iosefa Tekori, Fa'atiga Lemalu, Alafoti Faosiliva, Jack Lam, Ofisa Treviranus (captain), Maurie Fa'asavalu, T.J. Ioane, Kahn Fotuali'i, Peleifofoga Cowley, Tusi Pisi, Michael Stanley, Alofa Alofa, Ken Pisi, Alesana Tuilagi, Faialaga Afamasaga, Johnny Leota, Paul Perez, Tim Nanai-Williams, Ah See Tuala

thought Cenus gave up on test rugby

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3818_42443,00.html

They asked him to come back cause of other frontrow injuries. He probably still won't play in the WC. Well Toulouse will insist he doesn't.

duckysauce wrote: »
    thought Census gave up on test rugby

He wanted to play for Samoa when it really counts...

(sorry, it's terrible I know)

Will be fun to see if I'm right!

From 15 to 1: Dagg, Slade, Crotty, SBW, Piutau, Carter, Ellis, Read, Todd, Kaino, Whitelock, Retallick, Franks, Mealamu, Woodcock.

Reserves from 16 to 23: Laulala, Taylor, Crockett, Romano, McCaw, Weber, Moala, ??another outside back

Above is what I said. Below is what the man who counts said

All Blacks: Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Luke Romano, Samuel Whitelock, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Daniel Carter, Charles Piutau, Sonny Bill Williams, Ryan Crotty, George Moala, Israel Dagg. Reserves: Hika Elliot, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Matt Todd, Brad Weber, Colin Slade, Charlie Ngatai.

I got 12/15 of the starting side, and 3/8 for the reserves. Not bad, but must improve...

Polynesian head count: Mealamu, Kaino, Piutau, SBW, Moala, Laulala. Poached: Kaino (American Samoa), Laulala (Samoa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Above is what I said. Below is what the man who counts said

All Blacks: Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Luke Romano, Samuel Whitelock, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Daniel Carter, Charles Piutau, Sonny Bill Williams, Ryan Crotty, George Moala, Israel Dagg. Reserves: Hika Elliot, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Matt Todd, Brad Weber, Colin Slade, Charlie Ngatai.

I got 12/15 of the starting side, and 3/8 for the reserves. Not bad, but must improve...

Polynesian head count: Mealamu, Kaino, Piutau, SBW, Moala, Laulala. Poached: Kaino (American Samoa), Laulala (Samoa)

What NZ scrum half do you see starting for WC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

I reckon Aaron Smith, with TJ Perenara a very close 2nd choice.

• Advertisement

I reckon Aaron Smith, with TJ Perenara a very close 2nd choice.

Aaron Smith with TJ Perenara a distant 2nd choice. The SXV final showed there is quite a gap between the two.

TBH, if you do follow NZ rugby, the interest is for the 3rd scrumhalf: Tawera Kerr-Barlow vs Andy Ellis vs Brad Weber.

This Samoa match is very much a last shot at glory for Ellis, he was only called up because Kerr-Barlow is recovering from injury, while Weber was only called up because of the SXV final.

Aaron Smith has really improved his box-kicking, it was Murray-esque in recent weeks.

Poached: Kaino (American Samoa), Laulala (Samoa)
    Actually Laualala is American Samoa too apparently. So maybe the game should be in Pago Pago.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Perenara scores a lot of tries though, runs good support lines like Conrad Smith and looks powerful.
    Smith seems to have blistering pace and has been kicking well.
    Which one would suit the NZ back play better? Hard to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be dumbfounded if Smith wasn't first choice for NZ. He's the best scrum half in the world and underlined that yesterday. His control of the game was superb; his line kicking and decision making made a big difference and was probably worth the 7 point margin.

TJP scores tries but it's not like Smith is a slouch in that area either with 7 tries this season. In terms of all round play, Smith is well in front, I'd have thought.

Not even in question. If Smith carries his current form into the RWC then he will be a contender, if not favourite, for the world POTY.

Perenara scores a lot of tries though, runs good support lines like Conrad Smith and looks powerful.
    Smith seems to have blistering pace and has been kicking well.
    Which one would suit the NZ back play better? Hard to say...

Perenara is an opportunist, he runs good support lines and nicks tries. But for game control, speed of pass, tactical kicking etc Smith is light years ahead. I've already been saying my Hail Marys, he is to NZ what Sexton is to Ireland.

• Advertisement

In heads to heads to date they are about both equal in super rugby terms, but at international test class there's no contest. Tj possesses all the skills bar kicking, and that's just not good enough at that level. The biggest difference is actually decision making and that's a very hard matrix to compare. A Smith is that best decision maker sh currently playing, and personally id have murray a close second with tj bringing up a close rear. With no English sh in the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Samoans will get a half-day public holiday next Wednesday so they can watch the historic rugby Test between Manu Samoa and the All Blacks in Apia.

The Samoan Prime Minister Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi, who is also the chairman of Samoa's rugby union, says a public announcement to confirm the public holiday will be made next week.

Well that's not sketchy at all

And the Samoan team

SAMOA: 15 Tim Nanai-Williams, 14 Alofa Alofa, 13 Paul Perez, 12 Johnny Leota, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Tusiata Pisi, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 Ofisa Treviranus (c), 7 Jack Lam, 6 Alafoti Faosiliva, 5 Kane Thompson, 4 Teofilo Paulo, 3 Census Johnson, 2 Wayne Ole Avei, 1 Sakaria Taulafo RESERVES: 16 Ma'atulimanu Leiataua, 17 Anthony Perenise, 18 Iosefa Tekori, 19 Maurie Faasavalu, 20 Peleifofoga Cowley, 21 Faialaga Afamasaga, 22 Ken Pisi

Polynesian head count: the whole team, duh.
    Poached: Tin Nanai-Williams, Alofa Alofa, Johnny Leota, Kahn Fotuali'i, Jack Lam, Kane Thompson, Teofilo Paulo, Census Johnson, Wayne Ole Avei, Anthony Perenise (all NZ)

with thanks to sydthebeat for the research...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I remember him coming off the bench once or twice and making a few tackles. Didn't do a lot else. Strange signing truth be told.

And the Samoan team

SAMOA: 15 Tim Nanai-Williams, 14 Alofa Alofa, 13 Paul Perez, 12 Johnny Leota, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Tusiata Pisi, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 Ofisa Treviranus (c), 7 Jack Lam, 6 Alafoti Faosiliva, 5 Kane Thompson, 4 Teofilo Paulo, 3 Census Johnson, 2 Wayne Ole Avei, 1 Sakaria Taulafo RESERVES: 16 Ma'atulimanu Leiataua, 17 Anthony Perenise, 18 Iosefa Tekori, 19 Maurie Faasavalu, 20 Peleifofoga Cowley, 21 Faialaga Afamasaga, 22 Ken Pisi

Polynesian head count: the whole team, duh.
    Poached: Tin Nanai-Williams, Alofa Alofa, Johnny Leota, Kahn Fotuali'i, Jack Lam, Kane Thompson, Teofilo Paulo, Census Johnson, Wayne Ole Avei, Anthony Perenise (all NZ)

with thanks to sydthebeat for the research...
    Bloody poaching Samoans.;)

It's pretty rare in sport that 2 international teams can face and one sides starting team is over 50% born in the opposing country and no one bats an eyelid. Of course if it was the other way around...

• Advertisement
Advertisement