Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luxating patella - floating kneecap

• 04-07-2014 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Has anyone's dog had this. Just found out yesterday my 7 month old pup has. She is very lively and playful and doesn't seem to be in pain. She is only 4kg. My own vet won't operate so will refer her to surgeon and said it will cost well over €1 k. However I asked another vet and thet said it would get approx €300 -€400.

Can anyone enlighten me as to their experience and if surgery was successful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Had a large breed of dog with this. Our own vet did the surgery. She had surgery several times but it was not a very successful outcome. She remained lame but happy for life.

However smaller dogs usually have a better outcome. There will be a lot of crate rest involved afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Can you remember how much it cost? My dog is so giddy I can't see her resting in crate!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

My dog has this. We were told about it when he was younger but it caused him no problems. He is five now. A little while ago he landed funny after a jump and hurt it so just had the op. He still has the pin in so don't know if it was fully successful yet. No crate rest tho just kept inside or strictly supervised outside to prevent running. Cant remember how much it cost I haven't paid my share yet. He gets the pin out in three weeks.

Advertisement