Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SD Card reader iPad, import videos??

• 05-07-2014 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a lightening SD card reader today and I have been experimenting with it so I can download movies from an SD card to my rather limited 16GB iPad air.

So basically I have a 720p or 1080p .mp4 movie file called eg. movie.mp4 on my PC.

On my SD card I create a folder called DCIM and place my movie file into it, I rename the movie from eg. movie.mp4 to DSCI0001.mp4 which is in keeping with a Camera naming convention.

The iPad will read the SD card and I can then import the movie onto the iPad for watching.

However the problem I am having is that the movie is downloaded into the photostream rather than Videos and while this is not a problem, the problem lies in that the movie is cropped to fit the iPad screen rather than displaying in its native aspect ratio like it would do when I import the movie into iTunes and then sync it to the iPad where it will display in Videos.

I got the SD card reader for this purpose as SD cards are cheap and I could load up one or two SD cards with movies etc. and then import them onto the iPad for watching as I require, this is especially handy for travelling and when you are not near a PC as I couldn't store say 20GB of movies on the iPad but using this method I could watch them using external SD storage.

The movie files cannot be played from the SD card but thats OK as I could import one at a time and delete the old one from the iPad.

The aspect ratio issue is the problem and if I can't find a solution then I will have to return the lightening SD card reader as I only got it for this purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I did this a few years ago for a long series of flights. Only had a 16gb iPad so space was an issue. Most threads at the time I found required the iPad to be jail broken. Then the trick was to install ifiles and you play the videos using either the native iPad player or something like vlc. Handy as well to download displayout so you can use an hdmi connection kit and have the output to a big telly. Useful if you are in a hotel room somewhere.

With pangu jb just out this might be an option for you.

Advertisement