Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided on new anschutz 1417

Options
  • 05-07-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Finally decided to go with 1417 anschutz. Deposit paid and waiting
    For barrell number for paperwork
    also decided on atec mod
    Any recommendations for mounts /scope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

What's your budget ? What are you using rifle for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

For rabbits and corvids
    Will be using subs only
    Budget €350
    Have a friend returning from states in August so looking at amazon
    Not sure what to do. Was thinking of buying something cheaper then and saving for a zeiss next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A Zeiss is an excellent scope. However i would say this to you.

Glass clarity is not such an issue when you're using/firing a .22lr. The effective range is between muzzle and 75 yards. Possibly 100 - 120 with practice and ONLY on smaller vermin. Foxes, etc. might be do-able at up to 50 yards with clean head shots, but realistically the .22lr is out of it's league on them at anything further.

Now i'm not knocking the .22lr. They are the stable rifle of any collection. Reliable, cheap to run, easy to sell/buy, great for competitions, etc. However with 100 yards as your benchmark max range most any type of glass will suffice and even be good at that distance. So with that said i would steer clear of the higher priced scopes unless you have a grand burning a hole in your pocket. Some of the choices i would look at, that i've used/owned, and have functioned well on not only my .22lr, but on my .17hmr are:

Brand new (between €190 - €350)
    • Hawke Varmint SF
    • Bushnell Trophy
    • Hawke Endurance
    • Bushnell Banner
    • Tasco (any one really)
    • Swift Premier

Any of the above, and probably some of the ones i haven't mentioned, would easily suit your needs. Now compare that to Zeiss and similar higher end scopes that start at €750 and consider that you are still only shooting out to 100 or so yards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Seen a hawke note eye 4-16 for 170 on another site might chance it so

What about mounts ???

Hawke Nighteye. Decent scope, perfect for what you intend to use it for and not an arm & and leg to buy. They run about €230 brand new so if it's close to brand new then it might be worth it. just check that it's all working fine, it adjusts without any resistance, the parallax works, the turrets, no scratches, etc. Failing that buy new, and avoid the "uncertainty".

As for mounts. Like the scope there is no need to run out and buy Nightforce, Badger Ordnance, etc. A .22lr has no recoil so the rings only job is to hold the scope onto the rifle. It doesn't have to handle recoil. So a decent set of sportsmatch for around the €25 mark would do. However if you save a few bob on the scope then there is nothing stopping you going for a set of Warne. they run around the €60-€80 mark.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Lots of great advice there,

As for zeiss I think you are just wasting money. I have 3 .22lr for target shooting one is also used for rabbits.

Hawke do some nice cheap scopes €100 to €200.

I would go for a scope that has variable mag up to 20 and has mildot reticle, possible with a side focus( variable ao) can be very handy as a simple range finder, as .22lr really drops a lot between 50 and 120m which is your max range for hunting to be sure of a clean kill

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I have a Hawke Endurance 30, 3-12x50ir on my 1417, I find it a lovely combo. Works well under a lamp, not to big or heavy and plenty bright and clear. I have "better" scopes but this is a nice cheap scope with good performance.
    I picked mine up 2nd hand for €150.

Cheers lads
    Have a few in mind but nothing bought yet
    What's your thoughts on keeping the objective at 40 or 42 mm to keep it nice and compact ??

If you are going for a 25mm tube then whether it's a 42 or 44 mmm objective lens it's not going to be a huge difference. You'll find that the majority of scopes will be within a few grams to ounces of each other. IOW no real difference.

Don't focus too much on weight, and more on what you like. The rifle you are going for is a nice small, compact rifle. not in any way heavy and adding just over a pound for any scope will not effect you greatly so go with what you prefer rather than what you are told is best.

Nothing worse than having something and hating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Redfield scopes are good value for money IMO, or a 2nd hand leupold?

Thanks for all the info lads
    Still on the look out
    As I said have mate coming from states in two weeks
    Midwayusa have zeiss rimfire 3-9x40 at a special rate of $400 which works out at a shade above 300 yo yos
    I'm seriously of thinking of goin for it as this is a rifle for life as far as I'm concerned it will just make it a class package that will outlive me

Lad don't be fooled by all the talk about sticking a scope into a case and bringing it home.

You will have lads telling you it's that easy, and in some cases lads do get "away with it". However there has been a major clamp down on getting scopes out of the states in the last 18 months. Customs are checking everything including stuff being brought out personally (not just sales). They are prohibiting certain sales based on ITAR, most Mil-spec stuff is prohibited and the rest requires an export license which costs $250. If they find something and seize it you're out the price as they don't do refunds or cash back.

I'm not saying not to do it, but just be careful is all. Make sure you do your homework before going ahead with any plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

The Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 6-18x50 would get my vote, A couple of places have them on special at the moment just over/under the 200 mark, A great scope, Used by target shooters and hunters alike, I have one on my Kidd 10/22 and am getting another for my lever action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I held one of these rifles the other day and was very impressed. Keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I put a nikko stirling 4-16x50 30mm on my HMR and its more than enough scope than it will ever need...

Great value for money and I'll have it on a .243 for this season aswel, its good enough in low light to get me through the stalking season.

Advertisement