Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Photo Stream vs iPhoto Library Photos vs Shared iCloud ? ? ? ? ?

• 05-07-2014 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

It can't just be me who is failing to find a clear, satisfactory explanation of the difference between the following areas:

1. Photos > Albums > My Photo Stream (on iPhone)
    2. iPhoto > Library > Photos (on Macbook)
    3. iPhoto > Shared > iCloud (on Macbook)

I'm so incredibly confused about the difference and I cannot understand why there isn't a simple, concise explanation of the difference between these anywhere online. My brain is fried trying to find one.

Can anyone help? Questions I have about them include if I delete a photo on one of the above, on which of the others does it also get deleted? When do the photos delete themselves from each one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I believer the iCloud shared library on your Mac is the same as the Photostream on your iPhone.

For iOS 8 they're making this a lot simpler with a photos app for Mac, and all your photos will go up to the cloud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

2 is just the locally stored iPhoto library on your Mac. And yeah, 1 and 3 are the same thing.

Photo Stream is a stream of photos recently taken on all your devices. So you take a photo on your iPhone and it is uploaded your photo steam in the cloud which you can then access from all your other devices.

The main thing to keep in mind about Photo Stream is that it is temporary. The photos aren’t permanently stored in the cloud nor synced to other devices. They will usually delete themselves from the cloud after 30 days although they may be stored on your device for longer. If you want to keep a photo you need to make sure it’s saved somewhere, either to your iPhoto library, the camera roll on the device it was originally taken or an album on that device.

If you want iPhoto can automatically import Photo Stream photos to its own library. You can enable this in iPhoto preferences > iCloud. You will still need to open iPhoto from time to time for it do this.

Hope this makes sense. As Zcott said, iOS 8 and Photos for Mac will greatly simplify all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Zcott wrote: »
    I believer the iCloud shared library on your Mac is the same as the Photostream on your iPhone.

For iOS 8 they're making this a lot simpler with a photos app for Mac, and all your photos will go up to the cloud.
    2 is just the locally stored iPhoto library on your Mac. And yeah, 1 and 3 are the same thing.

Photo Stream is a stream of photos recently taken on all your devices. So you take a photo on your iPhone and it is uploaded your photo steam in the cloud which you can then access from all your other devices.

The main thing to keep in mind about Photo Stream is that it is temporary. The photos aren’t permanently stored in the cloud nor synced to other devices. They will usually delete themselves from the cloud after 30 days although they may be stored on your device for longer. If you want to keep a photo you need to make sure it’s saved somewhere, either to your iPhoto library, the camera roll on the device it was originally taken or an album on that device.

If you want iPhoto can automatically import Photo Stream photos to its own library. You can enable this in iPhoto preferences > iCloud. You will still need to open iPhoto from time to time for it do this.

Hope this makes sense. As Zcott said, iOS 8 and Photos for Mac will greatly simplify all this.

Thanks! :)

I sincerely hope they simplify this in iOS 8.

Advertisement