Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaman's card ?

Options
  • 05-07-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to go about getting one ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Anyone know how to go about getting one ?

Do you mean the seamans identification book thing?

I got mine when I got my discharge book. Have never been asked for it or had a use for it, no idea what its purpose is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Only ever got a discharge book. Company sent me to get both but something was not correct in the paperwork for the card the day I applied and never got around since as have not been asked for the seaman's card ever. However the discharge book is a requirement fairly regularly.

You will need to get the supporting documents/request from your employer in order to to apply for a discharge book.

If you want an Irish one, called an "Irish Seafarer's Record Book and Certificates of Discharge", (just to be different). Talk to these folks. Good luck BTW.

http://www.dttas.ie/maritime/maritimesafetydirectorate/mmo

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I got mine last year. It can be tricky if you are not currently employed by a shipping company, so ring ahead if you are not.

I have never needed the ID card, but the discharge book is a useful document. It got me out of a fix at an SE Asian airport when the agent screwed up my work visa stamp and I had no other proof I was offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cheers lads, I'm looking into ship based work that's not strictly related to the day to day running of a ship but ID's are required by the looks of things.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Advertisement