Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dingle from US

Options
  • 05-07-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. We're moving to Dingle from the US, my wife's a citizen \and we're going to buy a house. Any good sites you can recommend showing what needs done once you own the house - establishing residency, dealing with utitlities like power, the post, rubbish, water... The house will be used for vacations for awhile but I would expect us to be there permanently within a year or two. We're already looking for good Gaelic classes in the US, hard to find in the NYC area!

Thanks!

Igotadose the soon-to-be-resident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

I can't help with your questions and best of luck with the move but I am wondering, what are Gaelic classes?? If you mean learning to speak Irish, there's no need as not a lot of people use it. Most places that still speak Irish are located further west than Dingle.

Also, do you have to move to Dingle? It is a very quiet place in the winter time, especially for the kids and you are a long way from big towns, hospitals, train stations etc. It is a beautiful town but there are better options imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

thanks for the info. Gaelic because we'd like to learn it, really, and visit other areas. Dingle's beautiful, no kid issues and being away from towns is a plus to us, we like the wild-ness and the quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best of luck with it. I'm down there every opportunity. Even in the winter!

I totally get the 'why'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

These guys did it and it seems to be working out ok for them
    http://www.murphysicecream.ie/history.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AnneSam

Dingle is beautiful, it will be a great place for your children albeit they may find it boring at times but you'll always know where they are! I would contact auctioneers in the town they will be very helpful with your questions primarily because you will be their neighbors :) for classes through Irish, contact colaiste ide, a wonderful Irish speaking school that runs courses, best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

Igotadose wrote: »
    thanks for the info. Gaelic because we'd like to learn it, really, and visit other areas. Dingle's beautiful, no kid issues and being away from towns is a plus to us, we like the wild-ness and the quiet.

Well in that case, best of luck with it. If you like a friendly game of cards there is a poker night every Tuesday in the An Droichead Beag pub. Starts at 9 I think. Welcome to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd second the suggestion about contacting local auctioneers and then when you are settled your immediate neighbours will be a fount of useful and useless information. :)
    Things like utilities will be part of the house purchase/rental and you can decide whether to continue with them or switch to a different supplier - e.g. for electricity etc. You may have your own well for water - if not get ready to complain with the rest of us about water bills from irish water/uisce eireann :( Post men will track you down sooner or later but check with the post office in Dingle/Ventry/Ballyferriter if you think you're not on their lists.
    Refuse/rubbish etc - its up to you to decide which provider to use - or like many you can recycle and dump your own stuff at the West Kerry recycling centre about 3km east of Dingle, just off the main Tralee/Killarney road. It's €3.50 per bag of rubbish and about €1.20 per bag of recyclables - a lot cheaper than the normal suppliers but you have to do the travelling yourself.
    Dingle/west Kerry in general is great but it does get quiet in the winter time - which is a real plus because its hectic in the 3 main summer months!
    Dingle has plenty of shops, doctors etc for the normal run of things and the bus service isnt too bad and links to the trains in Tralee.
    One downside is ironically the number of non-locals living in the area. Sometimes locals can feel a bit overwhelmed by the numbers of "stráinséirí" living around. That Irish word literally means "strangers" and is applied to all non locals. (You become a local after about 100 years so don't sweat it too much :) )
    People are great though - make an effort to be involved in some local group/association etc and you'll be welcomed warmly. Understating things/self deprecation is a local art and be wary - that local guy digging in his garden who looks like the local tramp could well have a few university degrees up his sleeve/be a poet/author in several languages/be a skilled musician etc - so you've been warned. :)

Weather is bad in winter - we dont really get ice or snow but we get more wind and rain than most places. If gardening is your thing plant your wind breaks first of all.

And if you're ever asked which "team" you support the only acceptable answer is "Kerry" - the county Gaelic football team. Football is a religion here - but there's golf too - and a little rugby - but just a little.

Best of luck. :) - and feel free to ask any particular questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

lottpaul wrote: »
    One downside is ironically the number of non-locals living in the area. Sometimes locals can feel a bit overwhelmed by the numbers of "stráinséirí" living around. That Irish word literally means "strangers" and is applied to all non locals. (You become a local after about 100 years so don't sweat it too much :) )

Dingle is so nice just because of all the non local influences, Take the "non" locals out and it will be a boring sheithole.

Who else will clean up the beaches every time ?? for sure its not the traditionally locals, at least i didn't see them during clean ups.

weisses wrote: »
    Dingle is so nice just because of all the non local influences, Take the "non" locals out and it will be a boring sheithole.

I was going to add a bit more to the discussion but since you jumped so quickly to your final conclusion that Dingle+ the local people alone would be a "boring sheithole" I think I'll just leave you with your own views. I hope all of your "local" neighbours know your true opinion of them.

I was going to add a bit more to the discussion but since you jumped so quickly to your final conclusion that Dingle+ the local people alone would be a "boring sheithole" I think I'll just leave you with your own views. I hope all of your "local" neighbours know your true opinion of them.

While you leave me with my own views just think what would be left if you take all the non local activities and business out of dingle

If you think Dingle is quiet now in the winter just wait what will be left if all the "non locals" packed up

What makes Dingle great is the mix between local/non local and foreigners all adding their own little piece

And don't let my view on the non local part hold you back from posting because the rest was good information for people coming to Dingle

• Advertisement

While you leave me with my own views just think what would be left if you take all the non local activities and business out of dingle

If you think Dingle is quiet now in the winter just wait what will be left if all the "non locals" packed up

What makes Dingle great is the mix between local/non local and foreigners all adding their own little piece /QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I never said otherwise.
    Just that "some" locals feel a bit "overwhelmed" - "sometimes". Thats their issue - not mine - but I felt it would be right to mention it to people considering moving here.

The same could be said of dozens of other places up and down the west coast. The "best" comment I heard on the matter was just a few weeks ago from a British man who said it was a shame there were so many foreigners around here! He might need lessons in irony :rolleyes:

The mix of peoples/cultures/ideas etc has been great for Dingle - but it has had a negative effect on e.g. the Irish language in some schools. On the other hand, without the "new" children some of those schools would have closed years ago. So, its a mix. It's also likely that the parents of many of the "local" children are working in businesses set up by people who originally came from outside of the area. Everyone will have a different view.

The best part of Dingle is the variety of things it can offer to people - and that variety had its genesis in the movement of new people to the place.

Thanks for the nice comments too - but I really didnt like the use of the "s-hole" expression. I don't think its warrented. But thats just me :) for now - ask me again in February after 6 weeks of wind and rain and dark and mist and drizzle ..............

Agree 100%. I never said otherwise.
    Just that "some" locals feel a bit "overwhelmed" - "sometimes". Thats their issue - not mine - but I felt it would be right to mention it to people considering moving here.

I did not meet anyone local who was overwhelmed by non locals/foreigners around Dingle ... (cork city was a different experience :rolleyes:), what they do around my back I don't know but I always felt a warm and welcoming atmosphere around the place
    The "best" comment I heard on the matter was just a few weeks ago from a British man who said it was a shame there were so many foreigners around here! He might need lessons in irony :rolleyes:

I admit ( as a foreigner) going into a small rage sometimes dealing with all the rental cars, bicycles, buses, Camper-vans, etc ....... fantasying its already September
    I don't think its warrented. But thats just me for now - ask me again in February after 6 weeks of wind and rain and dark and mist and drizzle ..............

will PM you then for a pint (to keep our sanity) ... giving out over the sheit weather etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The good

Water charges are a lot less than USA
    Waste Charges are a lot less than USA
    Health Insurance is a lot lot lot less than USA.
    Eating out and going for a pint is a lot less than USA
    Strangers talk to you.
    The wet misty days of winter can be great if you know what to do - there's almost never snow and rarely hard frosts down there and neither will it ever be too hot in summer.
    Crime is almost non existent in west Kerry areas (still a little, but nobody's perfect).

Not so good
    Fuel prices are twice that of USA
    Sales tax is 23% on many things.
    Weather as above
    Stangers talking to you (also above)

But as someone who visits the iveragh peninsula (just across the bay) at least twice a month for 3/4 days at a time - West Kerry really is a different place than anywhere else on the planet no matter what time of year you are there. They see "strangers" for the good they bring unlike other places/countries.

Thanks again this is great. FWIW, we're from the Seattle, WA area - so, no sun for 6 months, rain, ... we chose the area because it's more like 'home' :P Have already been a few times, the 23% thing and the petrol charges, well, it's part of the charm I guess.

Looks like we'll be walking distance to TP's pub, if that helps. Definitely going to look into fishing by the hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Thanks again this is great. FWIW, we're from the Seattle, WA area - so, no sun for 6 months, rain, ... we chose the area because it's more like 'home' :P Have already been a few times, the 23% thing and the petrol charges, well, it's part of the charm I guess.

Looks like we'll be walking distance to TP's pub, if that helps. Definitely going to look into fishing by the hostel.

Look at www.daft.ie in relation to house rental/sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not much point learning the language, you wont use it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Not much point learning the language, you wont use it.
    I bit like my French and Italian? There's no 'point' in my having those. Anybody I know who speaks either language also speaks English. And better than I speak those languages... :o

You'll use it if you have it, are in the company of people who have it, and choose to use it.

Unless you meant to post "you won't need it", of course. :rolleyes: We all know things we don't 'need'.

endacl wrote: »
    I bit like my French and Italian? There's no 'point' in my having those. Anybody I know who speaks either language also speaks English. And better than I speak those languages... :o
    Of course there's a point in having those, apart from the putting your CV ahead of other competitors for jobs/promotions when you're living over here France and Italy are just a cheap Ryanair hop away, also French and Italian open up whole other worlds of literature and culture if thats your thing. What does Irish get you? Being able to ask wheres the toilet out on the Aran Islands or in forgotten corners of Donegal or Galway? Better off teaching the kids a language that would stand to them in future, chances are the kids in Dingle will have better French or German anyway!

Im just picturing the OP doing their research and being taken in by bullsh1t statistics about Irish literacy or speech rates in places like Dingle that are only used for the sake of claiming grants. Dont waste your time, nobody uses it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Of course there's a point in having those, apart from the putting your CV ahead of other competitors for jobs/promotions when you're living over here France and Italy are just a cheap Ryanair hop away, also French and Italian open up whole other worlds of literature and culture if thats your thing. What does Irish get you? Being able to ask wheres the toilet out on the Aran Islands or in forgotten corners of Donegal or Galway? Better off teaching the kids a language that would stand to them in future, chances are the kids in Dingle will have better French or German anyway!

Im just picturing the OP doing their research and being taken in by bullsh1t statistics about Irish literacy or speech rates in places like Dingle that are only used for the sake of claiming grants. Dont waste your time, nobody uses it.

An bhfuil sliseanna ar do ghualainn agat?

:D

The kids would certainly have a better facility for language, being brought up in a genuinely bilingual environment.

I'm just picturing the op asking for advice on here and meeting the 'Peig ruined irish for me' shower.

Plenty of people use it. I use it, depending in which group of friends I'm with. I certainly use in in Dingle. It's no big thing, unless you make it a thing.

However, I fear we may be dragging the thread off topic....

I know it has its supporters and the debate has been done on here many times, Im just worried the OP is making the mistake of thinking this is like learning Norwegian or Dutch if you're moving to those countries even though everyone speaks English aswell, its not, Irish is dead to 99% of the people you meet here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

In terms of locals/outsiders - you're very unlikely to have any bother at all, but just be aware that for some people whose families have been in the area for 150/200 years, you're never ever going to be a local even if you spend 50 years living there.

Also be aware that when moving to a rural isolated area making new friends can take a long time. People tend to be settled into life-long routines so don't expect them to be throwing their arms open

Also do check with the state of the internet connection in the area is before you move in if that's important to you. Some areas in country are a disaster, while others can be grand. Check with the locals as to the best options/deals.

Be careful when driving in terms of the narrowness of the roads - it constantly catches tourists with rental cars out - wing mirrors are constantly being repaired.

Also I'd have Irish very low down on the To Do List - you definitely won't need it and as an American (which you will be for ever) people will be expecting you to speak English. Don't be too surprised if some folk are taken aback/confused/close to insulted if you launch into Irish.

Also it might be an interest to start boning up on football as an interest in this will make the locals a lot more welcoming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

FWIW, we're from the Seattle, WA area - so, no sun for 6 months, rain, ... we chose the area because it's more like 'home' :P Have already been a few times, the 23% thing and the petrol charges, well, it's part of the charm I guess.

I've done the move the other way around (i've been in Seattle 10+ years), here's some thoughts on the weather:

The weather in western Ireland is very different to Seattle. June, July, august and september in Seattle are generally dry and sunny. June is variable (this year it was dry). But you can pretty much depend on JUly and August in Seattle being in the high-70's or above.

You dont get that kind of "reliable" summer weather in Ireland. It can be completely random with some years having very little summery weather at all.

In Seattle when it rains it tends to be for the whole day. It remains gloomy. In (western) Ireland you get those fast moving clouds where you can almost see the rain coming, it'll rain for ten minutes then stop and be sunny again , and then rain again. Its the reason there's so many rainbows, a constant cycle of rain and sun. Unlike Seattle which just gets gloomy for days at a time.

Ireland (and the british isles) are really humid. Low temperatures but humid, which means you put on a layer, start to sweat, take it off and start to get chills, then repeat the process. It can be 60degs and 90% humidity which makes you clammy but chilly. Its very noticeable coming home from Seattle where the humidity is much much lower and the air can seem a lot fresher.

Humidity isnt something they mention in weather reports though and most people there would have no idea what percentage the humidity level is at. They'll just be sweaty... :)

Just some random thoughts. Remember Ireland is a lot further north than Seattle too so temperatures are cooler as well.

I hope you have an amazing time! best of Luck!

Gaelic because we'd like to learn it

You'd be learning Irish. People dont really use the word "gaelic".

And as others have said here, there's a good chance you'll never hear it spoken as a "first" language.

By all means learn it. But you may find it hard to actually use.

Thats a little harsh but I know what you mean.

I think West Cork, Kerry and west Galway attract a lot of really interesting people. Writers and artists, poets, musicians, etc.

The "locals" are an important part of the mix, take them out of it and it'd be a boring place as well.

hello again. Awesome information, thanks especially for the comparison to Seattle (we're currently not there, on a job gig on the *ack* *pthui* east coast of the US till next year.)

Learning Irish is simply something we want to do, for want of doing it, even if its not useful, so what. We did vacation once on Mwenish island, heard plenty of people there speaking it, but we're not depending on skill speaking Irish for anything. Just nice to have - frankly, I'd rather be fluent in French or Italian first, too :)

Hi all. We're moving to Dingle from the US, my wife's a citizen \and we're going to buy a house.

SHe's a citizen but what kind of paperwork do you have to go through to get your status in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Been following this thread as am jealous about you moving there but that's a topic for another thread.

Only thing I can add is to try not to use Americanisms when speaking.

Awesome - drop it and fast ;)
    Pharmacy - use chemist instead, even if they have pharmacy written outside them.
    Mall - use shop / shopping centre / supervalu / Garvey's
    Gas - use petrol / diesel. Gas to us is something we heat our houses with. (Or "that's gas" - means that's amusing/funny)
    Football - careful on this one. Depending where you are in Ireland and who you are talking to this can mean gaelic football or soccer. ForDingle though it should only ever be used for gaelic football. Soccer is that sport where hands are banned unless you are Maradonna.
    Poitin - still illegal, can be used to cure a variety of ailments (rubbing it on), but if you drink it watch out for when you wake up and take some water to rehydrate... Enough said.

Try to get out and explore the region when you get there, even in the rain. Just head out and walk or cycle. As above be careful of the narrow roads - especially Connor's pass and there are others. That whole area is one of the nicest (I'm biased in case that wasn't clear) in Ireland, great mix of flora and fauna as well as people. In terms of those telling you that you'll never be a local to some folk, same can be said of someone from a few towns over moving in. There are some great little hidden beaches around the place, just pay attention to any signs of rips-tides (only one I can think of where swimming is forbidden - shame as it looks lovely).

Not going to reveal names but there is a gent in Ventry now who when I met last (after quite a few years) is now fluent in Irish, and until I spotted who he was I was convinced he was a local. Everyone even now calls him by his Irish name and not his English (although to be fair they are close enough - mainly just the pronunciation). He's also one of the most genuine nicest people you'll meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi all. . We're already looking for good Gaelic classes in the US, hard to find in the NYC area!

Also hard to find in Ireland.

It's only compulsory for education certificate purposes.

Don't waste your time

Whats the rule on Driving licenses? How long can you use a foreign license before you need to switch it over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

old_aussie wrote: »
    Also hard to find in Ireland.

It's only compulsory for education certificate purposes.

Don't waste your time

I would be disappointed at the comments re: waste of time learning Irish. It appears we have again fallen into the 'you're entitled to your opinion but it damn well better be the same as mine'

OP has expressed an interest in learning Irish and more power to him. Why not encourage him in his pursuit? The other posters aren't going to suffer as a result of this. There's too much bloody negativity in this world already.

I am not a Gaeilgoir, nor do I live in West Kerry. I have decent enough Irish and would use it most days, but wouldn't consider myself steeped in the language or insistent on having it in all walks of life. However, it is our native languge, it is a unique part of our culture and heritage and there are plenty who are fascinated by it and often come to our shores to listen to it/study it.

I completely agree though that the method of teaching it in schools leaves much to be desired and has the effect of driving people away from the language.

OP, if you're planning on living in the Dingle area, you will find plenty of language classes, and you will hear it spoken all around you, either inside or outside the town. It's something I'm proud of, and I wholeheartedly support both your decision to move to Dingle and to immerse yourself in the language, culture and life.

It's the old Christian thing. If you're decent and don't act the gobsh1te, you'll have no problems. Best of luck

Advertisement