Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dingle from US

Options
2»

Comments

old_aussie wrote: »
    Also hard to find in Ireland.

It's only compulsory for education certificate purposes.

Don't waste your time

OP you can safely ignore the above really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hi all. We're moving to Dingle from the US...
    Igotadose the soon-to-be-resident

Firstly .... welcome! I hope you like it here (there?) when you have lived here for a bit. It takes getting used to!

As a blow-in to Ballybunion, I know what its like to try and settle into a small town. We took holidays here for years before we moved. It is different when you live in the town 12 months of the year! The locals used to tell us that there are 2 different towns here, a summer town and a winter town. And the locals prefer the winter (quiet) one! Everyone you meet (in winter, ie not the 3 months of summer!) is a local and will be happy to pass the time of day. Summer brings life, craic and prosperity, but everyone is in a rush, and the bona-fide tourists are just there for what they can get out of the experience (not always a bad thing, but it is so temporary...)

Lastly, here are a few phrases explained that might help you settle in!

Black – full, busy, eg the town was black (usually applied to a place / venue / event, but not a person. If a person was busy, do not say ‘they were black’, as this means something else entirely. For person-busy, see Ninety below)
    Bollacking – chastisement, chew out, beratement, eg he gave me a bollacking for crashing the car
    Cake-hole – mouth, eg shut your cake-hole
    Clatter – loud noise (eg we heard a clatter), or a physical beating (eg he hit him a clatter)
    Come here – ‘let me tell you’, or ‘pay attention to the next bit, as it’s the important part’, this is not a request for you to get closer to speaker eg come here, sure he clattered him 5 mins later!
    Craic – fun, excitement, entertainment, this is not a form of illegal drugs eg we had great craic last night in the pub
    Deadly (buzz) – brilliant, exciting, great craic, eg we had great craic in the pub, it was deadly, or eg there was a deadly buzz in the pub last night
    Donkey’s Years – a long but unspecific length of time, eg I haven’t seen my brother in donkey’s years
    Drunk:- having taken too much alcohol, (also : berco, bollixed, buckled, elephants, flaming, fluthered, gee-eyed, (in-the) horrors, langers, locked, mangled, motherless, ossified, paralytic, petrified, pissed, plastered, polluted, scuttered, sloshed, steamed, stocious, twisted, warped), eg he was mangled last night
    Gammy – undeserved good luck (eg he scored a gammy goal) or broken / un-functioning, (eg his leg is gammy since the car crash)
    Head the ball – someone whose name cannot be remembered (or undeserving of having their name used) eg go place your order with the head-the-ball up in the office
    Hy – this word has no real meaning, but is often used at the end of a sentence (esp in Kerry) to emphasize a point, eg What film do you want to see, hy? Or Get me another drink, hy!
    Hole in the wall – ATM (automatic teller machine), (also: cash-machine, drink-link), eg get some money from the hole in the wall
    Jeanie Mac – exclamation of surprise or disbelief (could be a shortened & polite version of Jesus Mary & Joseph) eg Jeanie mac where did that guard come from?
    Kip – sleep, eg I must get some kip before going to work
    Massive – great, brilliant, very exciting, eg we had a massive night
    Mingin – terrible, horrible, ugly (if a person is ‘mingin’ then they are a ‘minger’) eg that meal was mingin
    Morto – (short for) mortified, embarrassed, eg he was morto to be caught with a minger (see above)
    Ninety – very high speed (eg he was doing 90 on his scooter), or up to the maximum, (eg he was up to 90 all day)
    Put the heart crossways – expression of surprise and /or high worry, esp when used by a mother, eg he put the heart crossways in me when he told me he was phoning from the hospital
    Quare hawk – (a person) weird, strange, unusual, eg all foreigners are quare hawks
    Sca - (short for) scandal, gossip, news, eg what’s the sca?
    Scalped – very short haircut (could mean drunk too), eg he got scalped yesterday
    Stop The Lights – expression of disbelief, also can mean stop or halt but would mean disbelief at same time, eg (upon seeing some shoddy work being carried out) Ah stop the lights! That’s rubbish work!
    Sucking Diesel – expression of happiness that things are progressing nicely, everything is fixed, eg ever since I got the plumber to look at the boiler, we are sucking diesel
    Touched – strange, away with the faries, eg don’t go near him, he’s touched!
    Up the yard – go away, exclamation of surprise, eg get up the yard! (can be said in reply to a statement that is hard to believe)
    Vexed – cross, upset, eg he was sorely vexed that I snogged his bird
    Want – a lack of mental ability, eg there is a want in him
    Whisht – quiet, silence, eg Will you whisht! Or Hold your whisht! Note: This is an order or command, and you cannot say ‘its very whisht in here’
    Wojus – terrible, horrible, eg that meal was wojous (see Mingin, ie a person can be a minger, but a person cannot be wojous, unless they are wojous at something, eg he is a wojous footballer)
    Yer Man – (that man) unidentified / unnamed person (can be term of fondness), eg yer man gave it to me
    Yoke – a thing or object whose name is very common but temporarily forgotten, or whose name is known to many, but not me (also – thingy, wha-cha-ma-call-it, thing-a-ma-bob) eg give me that yoke there to fix up this thingy. Note: not to be confused with a ‘yolk’, ie the yellow part of the egg, or ‘yoke’ a wooden beam used by a pair of oxen to pull a cart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Rider, thanks much for the slang dictionary. Everything's going well so far, can't wait to be there in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

OP. You would get plenty opportunity to use the Irish Language of an evening in TP's.
    Plenty customers there use it as their first language.

Advertisement