Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mixing tyres models( same brand) ok?

• 05-07-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need a new front tyre- the rear is a metzeler M3 so planned on putting same on the front, however, the metzeler M5 is only a 5er more expensive and gets better reviews.

I'm thinking I'll get the M5 and later on down the line replace the rear M3 with an M5 too.

Is this recommended or should I replace the front with exactly the same as whats on the rear (m3)?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I need a new front tyre- the rear is a metzeler M3 so planned on putting same on the front, however, the metzeler M5 is only a 5er more expensive and gets better reviews.

I'm thinking I'll get the M5 and later on down the line replace the rear M3 with an M5 too.

Is this recommended or should I replace the front with exactly the same as whats on the rear (m3)?
    Thanks!

I'd say you will be fine but how much more life does the rear tyre have? If its not much then just replace both to get them synced up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No a bother to do that OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Should be fine. On my last bike I had a bridgestone BT23 on the rear and S20 on the front. Was a great setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You only need to match them when you're racing, might give you a millisecond advantage, once theres rubber on em you'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

No need to match them at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Cheers lads. Got a metzeler m7 on the front , great reviews, I'll post back a review after it's had a bit of use .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I have mixed different tyres from the same company....but would not be keen to mix the tyres from different brands, but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

can get a pretty bad weave with some matches afaik

also prob best that the rear tyre isnt grippier then the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Wossack wrote: »
    can get a pretty bad weave with some matches afaik

This is true, especially if you have considerable wear on one. I had a new PR4 on the front and a fairly used PR2 at the rear, at certain speeds :cool: I did get weave, it wasn't too bad but it wasn't subtle either. Soon as I got the new PR4 on the back the weave disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    a fairly used PR2 at the rear

Understatement! It was practically bald.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Understatement! It was practically bald.

LOL that was only the middle of the tire! Still got 450 km out of it before I put the pr4 on, carcass wasn't showing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A squared off rear and new front tyre can provoke weave. Doesn't matter how much tread there is on the sides of the tyre when they're not touching the road :p search on youtube for 'dunlop wobble and weave' I posted it a while back in the videos thread!

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    A squared off rear and new front tyre can provoke weave. Doesn't matter how much tread there is on the sides of the tyre when they're not touching the road :p search on youtube for 'dunlop wobble and weave' I posted it a while back in the videos thread!

It wasn't really squared off, but was starting to just as i changed it! seen that vid, its a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scary stuff! Skinny cross-ply tyres, spindly frames, bendy forks and swingarms and weedy damping and it's a recipe for new underpants mum :eek: definitely a case of engine development overtaking chassis development in those days

Dunno how lucky we are these days when we can (hypothetically :p ) sit on a fairly cheap bike at 150MPH and it's rock solid stable and the tyres will take it all day long, on the unrestricted German autobahn.

The only actual time I spent a whole day on German autobahns I was on a GS500E with a slow puncture, rear tyre was like chewing gum by the end of the day :eek: and it'd been 90-100MPH all day long fully loaded. Did weave a bit in the motorway curves... the next morning the rear was flat!!

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement