Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog panting in the middle of the night?

• 05-07-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Is it normal for a dog to start panting in the middle if the night so loudly that it wakes you up?

Cooper (15mths, malamute) sleeps down stairs on his vet bedding. With the hotter weather we had a couple of weeks ago, he just slept on the wooden floor. My bedroom is upstairs, not quite directly above him and i have the door open. Last night he woke me up with his panting - it was that loud. He has water available to him all night. I ended up getting up to him, he was stretched out but he seemed fine. I put him outside for a toilet break but he didn't need to go. He settled back down on his mat and i'd say a couple if minutes later i heard him having a drink. Any ideas if this is normal or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey gets too warm at night and will leave his bed to lie on the floorboards - waking me up because he plonks down on them like he's been shot with a dart gun like in zoo tv show lol! :p I got a mail from zooplus as while back and they had cooling mats so got a couple for us and one for my friend to try. Now he gets up in the night, lies on the mat until he's cooled off and goes back to his bed. I have a strip of vet bed under it to make it more comfy and one downstairs too that they both lie on in turns lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have been struggling with the humidity myself at night haha.
    I notice one of my boys (the hairier of the two) has taken to sitting in front of the fan on the floor at times!
    What's his coat like? Are you giving him a good brush to get any loose undercoat out?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Damn you tk. Damn you.
    I've been mulling over getting a cooling pad for here, and now you go and wave an almost half-price one at me. Damn you :-D

Mel.b, both of my dogs are really feeling the heat at night too, a long-coated GSD and a wee spaniel x whose coat has been clipped pretty short, and she has woken me a few times in the past week with her panting in the middle of the night (though she sleeps in my room!)
    So I can only imagine what it'd be like for a Mal.... Dampening down their front legs can help to cool them, or a damp towel to lie on, but once again tk has come up with a product that I'm not going to be able to resist... The woman has cost me a bloody fortune. Damn her :-D

DBB wrote: »
    Damn you tk. Damn you.
    I've been mulling over getting a cooling pad for here, and now you go and wave an almost half-price one at me. Damn you :-D

Mel.b, both of my dogs are really feeling the heat at night too, a long-coated GSD and a wee spaniel x whose coat has been clipped pretty short, and she has woken me a few times in the past week with her panting in the middle of the night (though she sleeps in my room!)
    So I can only imagine what it'd be like for a Mal.... Dampening down their front legs can help to cool them, or a damp towel to lie on, but once again tk has come up with a product that I'm not going to be able to resist... The woman has cost me a bloody fortune. Damn her :-D

:D:D:D 2 of my friends have them too and love them - one's afraid of computers so I just ordered her's along with mine.. The other was using zooplus for the first time and despite my warnings spent €100!! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    :D:D:D 2 of my friends have them too and love them - one's afraid of computers so I just ordered her's along with mine.. The other was using zooplus for the first time and despite my warnings spent €100!! :p

:mad:
    Well, I've just ordered two of them. And then remembered I could do with a few other bits and pieces, so I got them too. Beans on mouldy toast it is for me for the next few weeks.
    You have a lot to answer for, you know :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    :mad:
    Well, I've just ordered two of them. And then remembered I could do with a few other bits and pieces, so I got them too. Beans on mouldy toast it is for me for the next few weeks.
    You have a lot to answer for, you know :mad:

:pac:

:D Last time I ordered stuff I used up 400 points on bags of some fancy pants food with swiss chicken in it lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks, have just ordered one of those mats (yes, tk you do have a lot to answer for!!). We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper's cooling mat arrived yesterday. I don't know what he did while he was asleep last night, but when he's awake there's no way he will sit on it! I put it in his fav spot to curl up in the evenings and he went and curled up on the other side of the door instead. For bed time I put it a little bit ontop of his vet bed and this morning he was sitting only on the vet bed part. i guess i'll really know if he no longer wakes me up.

Bailey was a bit iffy with it first before I put vet bed under it and still wouldn't really sit on it... then it was roasting one day and he got on it and loved it lol! :p

My two mats arrived yesterday too (I wonder do zooplus have any idea that these orders are all stemming from the same forum?!), and like Cooper, we're still a little bit unsure of them here.
    But I think tk's experience will kick in, where they'll "discover" it one of these really warm days, as neither of them have been hugely hot the past day or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 phish2014

Id recommend you Go to your pet shop and ask for rock sulphur its a natural water additive that the dog won't notice in there water. They cool the dog internally instead of trying to cool a big fluffy dog externally. Also a good blasting with a hair dryer to get her undercoat off will help.

Advertisement