Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting a number and Public online directory

Options
  • 05-07-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Ok so after looking through this forum i've switched to voip, went with goldfish just signed up with a random number.

My eircom contract expires in august, i dont really need to use it anymore, that line has the telephone number i want to use, would it be best to port the number now?

Also got a gigaset n300 base station, in the setting there is an option for entering a public directory (looks like a online phone book search) is there an online directory for ireland?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Hi there,

Ok so after looking through this forum i've switched to voip, went with goldfish just signed up with a random number.

My eircom contract expires in august, i dont really need to use it anymore, that line has the telephone number i want to use, would it be best to port the number now?

Write to Eircom (stating the date) indicating you are leaving them 30 days before you leave. I would send an email also (the process of notifying a provider varies between different providers, ring them and ask). At least if you do both you are covered and have a record of the email. Then the day after your contract ends submit the port to Goldfish. That way you will not get any cancellation fees which depend on what is written on your current contract.
    Also got a gigaset n300 base station, in the setting there is an option for entering a public directory (looks like a online phone book search) is there an online directory for ireland?

thanks

Not for Ireland as far as I'm aware.

Blueface used to have an online phonebook, however this was not compatible with Info Services/Gigaset, rather an online phone book, then a reverse lookup book. Some providers send the name of the caller if you are on the same provider, e.g. Blueface. Goldfish send the Caller ID number.

Shout if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Thanks for the response,

I suppose the thing i am concerned about, and i think i have read people occasionally have trouble with is losing my number if the eircom service is cancelled and not being able to retrieve/port it.

I would be perfectly happy to just pay the line rental on the eircom line until it is done and transfer the number asap, (when stuff goes wrong in big companies it just feels like no matter how nice / experienced the agent you speak to is they have no contact with the people who can actually fix the problem)

Ah shame about the phone directory, i was hoping goldenpages would have some settings i could put in there.

thanks

Thanks for the response,

I suppose the thing i am concerned about, and i think i have read people occasionally have trouble with is losing my number if the eircom service is cancelled and not being able to retrieve/port it.

I would be perfectly happy to just pay the line rental on the eircom line until it is done and transfer the number asap, (when stuff goes wrong in big companies it just feels like no matter how nice / experienced the agent you speak to is they have no contact with the people who can actually fix the problem)

Ah shame about the phone directory, i was hoping goldenpages would have some settings i could put in there.

thanks

Make it clear to them NOT to cancel the account/line and that Goldfish will take care of this.

Check the terms and conditions in your contract. The cancellation fee may only be 1 month's worth of line rental (€25)

thanks for the response, i will do that,

(and thanks for all the info helping me set up voip)

thanks for the response, i will do that,

(and thanks for all the info helping me set up voip)

No prob.

One thing you could do is upload your contacts from your mobile phone/contact list through the web portal under 'Directories' > 'Directory Transfer' which might help.

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    One thing you could do is upload your contacts from your mobile phone/contact list through the web portal under 'Directories' > 'Directory Transfer' which might help.

I was hoping this setting was more a golden pages type option

I was hoping this setting was more a golden pages type option

Not possible unfortunately. These are the only ones I could find:
    • DE - klickTel
    • NL - De Telefoongids
    • NO - Gule Sider
    • DK - De Gule Sider
    • CH - tel.search.ch

Advertisement