Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT V Road bikes

Options
  • 05-07-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭

I read a few threads on here about this subject (and realise this is a tri forum so likely to be TT dominated) but I've two questions....

1) Is there a point in long distance triathlon that people would move to use road bikes? Watching Tour de France, pro cyclists will only use their TT bikes for short (50-60k) time trials, even at that some would switch bikes mid-stage between flat and climbs. Surely if it was more beneficial to use TT bikes over a 180k stage, with all their science and wind tunnels, every TdF team would have their teams on them. How come Ironman 180k cycles seem to be dominated by TT bikes but not pro cyclists 180k cycles?

2) How much do people use their TT bikes outside of racing? I don't see many on the roads, do people generally train on road bikes, then move to TT bikes for racing only? Would you have any sessions at all on the roads on TT bikes? Would you use TT bikes on turbos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I read a few threads on here about this subject (and realise this is a tri forum so likely to be TT dominated) but I've two questions....

1) Is there a point in long distance triathlon that people would move to use road bikes? Watching Tour de France, pro cyclists will only use their TT bikes for short (50-60k) time trials, even at that some would switch bikes mid-stage between flat and climbs. Surely if it was more beneficial to use TT bikes over a 180k stage, with all their science and wind tunnels, every TdF team would have their teams on them. How come Ironman 180k cycles seem to be dominated by TT bikes but not pro cyclists 180k cycles?

I don't think they are allowed.

Even the cycling TT bikes are different rules to triathlon TT. A triathlon specific TT bike is not legal for cycle racing. Something to do with the geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

AKW wrote: »
    I don't think they are allowed.

Even the cycling TT bikes are different rules to triathlon TT. A triathlon specific TT bike is not legal for cycle racing. Something to do with the geometry.
    Ah right, that makes sense. Still a bit strange that they're allowed for team TT's, surely that's just as unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Are they full aero with bar end levers on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Look to be.
    team-sky-brixia-bettini-team-time-trial_2479856.jpg

Anyway, that makes sense. Are there any circumstances where people would stick to road bikes? Any particularly hilly IM courses? Also, how often do people train on TT bikes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

TT bikes aren't as manoeuvrable in a group. they tend to be heavier. the aero affects are reduced significantly when you are rolling along in a 100 person peleton. road bikes also much more reasonable to take over the climbs the pros do in the tdf.

i ride my tri bike, even for training spins, about twice as often as my road bike.

in the cases you mentioned where they swapped mid stage, it was usually to use a road bike to climb steep sections, and then onto a tt bike when it levels off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

ive started doing long spins at the weekend on the TT..just so I'd be very comfortable but it seems to be paying dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Imagine the carnage from aero bars if there was a crash in a 100 man peleton. As far as I am aware that is why they aren't allowed in mass events.

Also while the aero position might be sustainable for a few hours during an IM I wouldn't like to try it for 6 hours a day over 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

A pro cyclist could use the TT frame over the distance however the UCI have banned TT type bars from the peloton, this started many many moons ago with the Cinelli Spianchi bars.
    the main problem is with the angles of these frames (and mentioned) the handling is not the best the steeper angles makes the bike twitchy (for want of a better term) , and in a bunch of 200 riders carnage would pursue,
    regarding the pros and time trials, the typical max distance you see is 60-70k; if it was longer they would use the TT bikes for them,
    they will only ever change to a road bike if it can be judged to be an advantage (again as stated where there is a climb that the aero advantage is lost due to the lack of speed and the weight difference of the road bike wins out)

How much time to spend on it depends, imo during the winter months it should be the road bike, primarily for safety reasons the greasy roads etc the road bike is the better choice.
    during the racing season the more time on the TT the better, why train for a race in a different position to what you will be doing on race day, make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Ah right, that makes sense. Still a bit strange that they're allowed for team TT's, surely that's just as unsafe.

There's no jockeying for position in a team TT, so the prospect of a crash is virtually zero. In the peloton, the tiny delays in reaction time from the TT bars and the marginal loss in maneuverability are far too high a risk in terms of potential crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

They aren't - a tri bike is not a TT bike.

TT bike rules (enforced by UCI)

"The maximum forward horizontal dimension of the handlebar
    extensions is 75 cm and is measured horizontally from the center of the bottom bracket axle to the end of the extension."

Tri bikes can/do have longer extensions

"the nose of the saddle must be a minimum of 5 cm behind a vertical line drawn up through the center of the crank axle"

A typical tri bike has the nose of the saddle in front of the BB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement