Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money in New York for a week in December.

Options
  • 05-07-2014 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all, heading to NYC for a week in December with a group of friends, about 5-7 of us, so I'm just looking for a little advice on how much spending money I'd need! Firstly I'm a student aged 25 so already I'm basically on a budget!Haven't finalized accommodation yet but we could be staying in a hostel in Manhattan. As far as eating out goes, I'd have no problem living on pizza or in McDonalds for the sake of one week! The things I'm thinking about doing out there are obviously seeing many of the main attractions, going to an NBA and NHL game(the Jets are on the road that weekend unfortunately!), maybe a Broadway show and of course going to pubs and clubs. I'm not really pushed on shopping tbh! So if I got some advice and a few tips from people I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Damo1988 wrote: »
    Hi all, heading to NYC for a week in December with a group of friends, about 5-7 of us, so I'm just looking for a little advice on how much spending money I'd need! Firstly I'm a student aged 25 so already I'm basically on a budget!Haven't finalized accommodation yet but we could be staying in a hostel in Manhattan. As far as eating out goes, I'd have no problem living on pizza or in McDonalds for the sake of one week! The things I'm thinking about doing out there are obviously seeing many of the main attractions, going to an NBA and NHL game(the Jets are on the road that weekend unfortunately!), maybe a Broadway show and of course going to pubs and clubs. I'm not really pushed on shopping tbh! So if I got some advice and a few tips from people I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Impossible to say, but if I were to guess Id say at least a grand. There's plenty of free stuff to do, there's plenty of "cheaper" bars, there's plenty of decent places to eat that won't rob the bank. Set yourself a $100 per day and you should be good ($300 buffer)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eating in bars can be cheap enough especially away from touristy centers, deli sandwiches are great value for lunch and pizza slices will take the edge off late night munchies, even at that id say a grand could be a bit tight maybe aim for 1500 as tickets for shows will cost a bit and and tickets for NBA and especially NFL can be quite expensive. really what will eat up your budget is entertainment you can eat for cheap enough and use the underground to get around. Staten island ferry is free so get your statue of liberty pics there. Anything touristy will generally be expensive as per the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, this question gets asked a lot on here. Use the search function to have a look through some old threads. You will probably find loads of useful info on cheap places to eat & stay, as well as purchasing discounted tickets to tourist attractions, shows, sporting events etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Agreed with above, this question has been asked to death. In brief, you'd be better off getting a place on airbnb.com instead of a hotel, especially if there's a group of you. Get a place downtown (east village, west village, lower east side) instead of midtown for a myriad of reasons.

You can spend very little by eating the amazing ethnic food here: mexican, real chinese, vietnamese, thai, cuban, etc. You'll spend a lot on the NBA/NHL tickets, if coming in September and you have a few days I'd recommend checking out a football game up in West Point if you have time for a day trip and it coincides with your schedule - it's an amazing experience. Would also recommend a baseball game, the new Yankee and Mets stadiums are great and tickets are usually reasonable, especially for afternoon games. Shopping here is a huge waste of time, it breaks my heart to see Irish people coming over and spending days in godawful malls in Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, NYC is great cuz you go as cheap as you like really. Depends though, if you wanted go on a shopping spree holiday etc.

Personally my favourite thing is to try and eat and drink my way through the villages over a long week. Some particularly cheap delights, especially in the East village, where you'll get anything from amazing sliders to super cheap dumplings. You can eat really well around there and not break the bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement