Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new low for Ben Dunne Gyms?

• 05-07-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

They are no refusing to let members in who forget there card,
    This happens every now and then to everyone, we have all done it - we are human, things happen.

It's literally a press of a button and they can let you through,
    I have been a member there for 6 years, I know the people down there very well but the other day I was point blank told I was not getting in. I had come from work, left my card in the house that morning by mistake (my fault obviously) but am I wrong for thinking this is extremely harsh?

What is the reason for this? Okay they need to monitor who goes in and who goes out, but is this abit over the top?
    I can understand this being enforced with members who do it day in day out,
    but regulars who do it once a year should not be treated this way.

Comments

How do they know you're a regular and haven't let your membership lapse or a friend who knows your details etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Well they have been advertising it now for a while, I always check my bag before I head up to gym, take two mins to make sure I've everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Dont forget your card. Problem solved.

Not even being smart. Its not that difficult to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

They've had signs up for a month or two, stating that cards would be required for entry, no exceptions.

EDIT:- Beaten to it. I'll add, in Northwood they've just installed new Turnstiles that scan your card as you enter. So looks like they are committed to this policy.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Being asked to adhere to the membership rules can't really be described as "a new low".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First it was the ballbag dryers, now this!

Where will the madness end?

First it was the ballbag dryers, now this!

Where will the madness end?

Even our female changing rooms in my gym have a warning about hairdryers being for our hair only.
    I don't want to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

bluewolf wrote: »
    Even our female changing rooms in my gym have a warning about hairdryers being for our hair only.
    I don't want to know

Does this means I can't dry someone else's hair?
    What if they don't have arms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

frag420 wrote: »
    Does this means I can't dry someone else's hair?
    What if they don't have arms?

It's fine. Barbie Thomas doesn't use Ben Dunne's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Mark Spencer won't patronise Ben Dunne Gyms either. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Can someone dry me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

theballz wrote: »
    What is the reason for this? Okay they need to monitor who goes in and who goes out, but is this abit over the top?
    I can understand this being enforced with members who do it day in day out,
    but regulars who do it once a year should not be treated this way.

Ben Dunne Gyms are a large organisation and like any other large organisation they have rules that apply to all their gyms. Refusing entry to anyone who does not have a valid card is presumably a company rule. All staff would be informed that this is a company rule and that there are no exceptions to the rule. Therefore, if they make an exception they will be the ones who get into trouble with their managers. So if you forget your card and even if the staff member knows you by name they cannot let you enter because they will be breaking a company rule which could result in them being disciplined or worse.

I would presume that the reason for the existence of the rule would be something to do with their insurance policy. If they let you in without a currently valid membership card they are probably not covered for anything that happens to you or anything that you do to them in the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

So OP, looks like no Prime Time investigation on the cards for now into this "low" situation at Ben Dunne gyms on the if that's what you were looking for. Lame of me to say here "Close but no cigar" because it wasn't just so. Entertaining thread all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Terrible joe. Just terrible.

Also - the justification is insurance related one would assume - swipe in, added to gym list, swipe out, removed from list.

If gym explodes - they know who went down with it.

Hanley wrote: »
    If gym explodes - they know who went down with it.

Mary from Clontarf is a survivor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

this happened to me on friday. granted i only had a 3 minute cycle home to get my card but it wouldnt be the case for people travelling to the gym. he told me i have to go home and get my card or pay 10 euro to get in(and get a new card)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Its simple. If you are not happy with the T&Cs, cancel your membership and join a gym that will let you in when you forget your card every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It's probably a move to reduce receptionist hours and costs down the line. Fly Fit don't have reception staff so Ben Dunne is obviously looking at cutting more costs to compete with flye fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Do they have your picture on their system?

Then they should let you in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Do they have your picture on their system?

Then they should let you in.

You can't spell "have your picture on their system" without 75% of the letters from Card! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Mary from Clontarf is a survivor.
    Although why she was commuting out to Ben Dunne in Sandyford 4 times a week is a mystery to everyone.

link_2007 wrote: »
    Although why she was commuting out to Ben Dunne in Sandyford 4 times a week is a mystery to everyone.

She works there, Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I don't get how people can forget their gym card. You don't need it for anything other than entering the gym. Just keep it in your gym bag. Waste of space in a wallet or purse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

This is why I love Raw.

Can't forget my fingerprint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

They stopped me getting in this morning for no card.
    To be fair I'm not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rtg78

OP what was the 'old low' I'd like to know. I've been member in Northwood for couple of years now and I have nothing but praise for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How do they know you're a regular and haven't let your membership lapse or a friend who knows your details etc
    Most gyms have your name and picture of you on their system. You tell them your details, they bring up your profile, and let you in.

If Ben Dunne doesn't have this system, it means that anyone with your card could get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier.

They should have picture with each profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I am going somewhere regularly for six years then I'd like to think that eventually the place I am giving my money to actually knows who I am.

• Advertisement

If I am going somewhere regularly for six years then I'd like to think that eventually the place I am giving my money to actually knows who I am.

You're a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

All you need it the bar code on your card. Take a photo of it on your phone. Print it out and stuff it in your bag and put one in your wallet. You have to forget your card, phone, gymbag and wallet to not have one copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I got the impression that Ben Dunnes business model revolves more around people not going to the gym. So with that in context, you're most likely not a valued customer and they don't care who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Meh, Need a bank card to get into Flyefit.

Advertisement