Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a ceiling - is it very difficult?

Options
  • 05-07-2014 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Is it very hard to install a ceiling fan where currently there's only a normal hanging light? I wouldn't attempt to do it myself but would it be a big job for a licensed electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Is it a built in fan and light type? If so they can operate using an existing light fittings wiring. You leave the light switch on and then operate the fan and light via the pull chains on the fitting. I ran a new cable to mine from the light switch though so that I could operate the fan and the light from the light switch on the wall. Not a big job as it was in the bedroom and I had easy access to the attic above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

superg wrote: »
    Is it a built in fan and light type? If so they can operate using an existing light fittings wiring. You leave the light switch on and then operate the fan and light via the pull chains on the fitting. I ran a new cable to mine from the light switch though so that I could operate the fan and the light from the light switch on the wall. Not a big job as it was in the bedroom and I had easy access to the attic above.
    Yes. I have very poor ventilation in my apartment. The bedroom (at the end of the apartment) only has only tiny window that opens. I thought the cheapest option would be to install a ceiling fan to draw air all around the apartment. I said it to the landlord and he rang the electrician who said that it would be too big a job and the best thing to do would be to get a small fan that sits on a desk :rolleyes:

I'm no electrician but I would have thought that would be a doodle for them.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Yes. I have very poor ventilation in my apartment. The bedroom (at the end of the apartment) only has only tiny window that opens. I thought the cheapest option would be to install a ceiling fan to draw air all around the apartment. I said it to the landlord and he rang the electrician who said that it would be too big a job and the best thing to do would be to get a small fan that sits on a desk :rolleyes:

I'm no electrician but I would have thought that would be a doodle for them.

It is a doddle. He's obviously misunderstood and thinks you want an extractor fan or he's not very good at his job.

superg wrote: »
    It is a doddle. He's obviously misunderstood and thinks you want an extractor fan or he's not very good at his job.
    I think he's just making excuses and doesn't want to do the job. He's been around twice before and I got the impression he wasn't interested in small jobs. The landlord is a straight up guy so I believe him when he says the electrician reckons it's too big a job. I just thought I'd ask others for their opinions. The landlord definitely didn't misunderstand because I specifically said a ceiling fan would be much cheaper than an extractor fan.

As a matter of interest, on average how long do you reckon it would take to replace a normal light with an ceiling fan/light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

If theres a noggin in the ceiling to screw into already then not long at all

Yeah not very long. As said above you need to make sure there is something solid to screw into where the existing light is cos the fans are quite heavy and also the motion causes it's own stresses.

Advertisement