Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good area accessible to Swords?

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello!

Getting a job in Swords and currently living in Dublin 3. The SO and I are thinking of moving outside of any main city area as we're looking for a quieter life and he mostly works from home. We're looking anywhere near Swords (or even in Swords if it's not in a really busy or industrial area) but also looking further like Rush, Lusk, Balbriggan, etc.
    We'll eventually get a car but it's important that I could get to Swords by public transport in under an hour.

Any suggestions, places to avoid, ideas on transport?

Thanks for your help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Donabate is worth a look. A stone's throw away and you have Newbridge Park and the beach on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Maybe think about Portmarnock. There's a regular bus link that should get you to Swords in well under an hour, though I haven't tried it at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TruncatisVinea

Anybody have opinions on Lusk and Rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try using the forum search function. There are plenty of threads already with the info that you may be looking for. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anybody have opinions on Lusk and Rush?

Just as you had said you WILL be getting a car, i would definitely checkout the public transport links to wherever you decide. Check www.hittheroad.ie and put in your potential locations and where you will be working etc to sus out how frequent the public transport is.

Rush / Lusk / Balbriggan is served by one or two bus services but i wouldn't say they are AS frequent as the more popular city centre ones and i dont know how fast/busy they are at peak times.

Maybe look around Kinsealy / Portmarnock or if not Swords itself. Swords isn't busy or industrial really, especially the further away from Main Street Swords you get.

I'd probably say Donabate is a bit of a stretch considering you don't have a car.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Santry, Beaumont, North Drumcondra, Malahide etc are all very accessible to Swords and much nicer areas to live in than Lusk, Rush, Balbriggan etc.

(By nicer I mean closer to the city centre, far more facilities and amenities within walking distance, and also these are much more mature areas with less antisocial behaviour etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

MammaZita wrote: »
    Santry, Beaumont, North Drumcondra, Malahide etc are all very accessible to Swords and much nicer areas to live in than Lusk, Rush, Balbriggan etc.

(By nicer I mean closer to the city centre, far more facilities and amenities within walking distance, and also these are much more mature areas with less antisocial behaviour etc).

Far better transport links anyway. It all depends on what your budget is and where you see your family living.

Also, i would hazard a guess to say that the northbound public transport is 'quieter' than the buses / trains going towards the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's about 20 mins to Swords Main street from Lusk on the bus. Maybe a bit longer in the mornings getting by the estuary Roundabout. It's another 15 mins or so to Rush.
    I'd say commuting, you would always get on a 33 or 33a; they seem criminally under filled when the 33x is leaving passengers standing on the path in Lusk.

With real time info, the bus is grand off peak, while it may be an hour til it arrives, you know when it will be there so you can leave your house to be 5 mins early.

Tesco deliver shopping home to Lusk, so you won't need a car for shopping.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Swords is accessible by bike in 30 mins or less from places such as Donabate, Lusk, Rush, Skerries and even Balbriggan (need to put your foot down a little if there's a strong headwind to get from Balbriggan in 30 mins though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

It's about 20 mins to Swords Main street from Lusk on the bus. Maybe a bit longer in the mornings getting by the estuary Roundabout. It's another 15 mins or so to Rush.
    I'd say commuting, you would always get on a 33 or 33a; they seem criminally under filled when the 33x is leaving passengers standing on the path in Lusk.

With real time info, the bus is grand off peak, while it may be an hour til it arrives, you know when it will be there so you can leave your house to be 5 mins early.

Tesco deliver shopping home to Lusk, so you won't need a car for shopping.

And you can get all your veg grown locally in lusk:) you could cycle to swords from lusk in like 25/30 mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement