Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The American Ambassador's Residence in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Was lucky enough to be at the 4th July BBQ there yesterday. Fantastic day & beautiful place.

One thing that struck me as strange though, although the front gate is there (opposite the Arás), and is very obviously manned by security personnel, the back of the house is wide open to the rest of the park.

I was walking toward the seats during the flag football game that was on & there were people standing in the park watching the proceedings, just feet from the pitch.

Anyone know why it's open like this ?

Also, according to wikipedia, the government sold the Embassy & an acre of land on which it sits to the US government in April 2013, which surprised me. Does this technically mean it's American soil ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a simple explanation - the ambassador is a big fan of the song Don't Fence Me In.

That's not the reason - I just wanted to post that song cause it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I thought the OPW owned it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

OU812 wrote: »
    Also, according to wikipedia, the government sold the Embassy & an acre of land on which it sits to the US government in April 2013, which surprised me. Does this technically mean it's American soil ?

Is your house on Irish soil or OU812 soil? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Looks nice on google maps.

American football pitch and a basketball court!

Wonder does he know im watching him...

How do you like it America! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

OU812 wrote: »
    Was lucky enough to be at the 4th July BBQ there yesterday. Fantastic day & beautiful place.

One thing that struck me as strange though, although the front gate is there (opposite the Arás), and is very obviously manned by security personnel, the back of the house is wide open to the rest of the park.

I was walking toward the seats during the flag football game that was on & there were people standing in the park watching the proceedings, just feet from the pitch.

Anyone know why it's open like this ?

Are you sure them souls weren't part of the party? There is a walled "moat" around it with security cameras and those fancy infrared alarm, similar to the presidents gaff, also at the back there is a couple of houses, grounds men and what not, i know this as one of them is my Dad's mate! It's completely enclosed! Maybe you were pissed....

wiki:
    "Deerfield Residence is a large 18th-century building, sitting on 62 acres (250,000 m²) of private grounds in the centre of the Phoenix Park in Dublin"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

It's open so that the ambassador can watch the dogging sessions at the popes cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Was there years ago for the BBQ when Jean Kennedy was ambassador,lovely place.They only had Bud Light though,which was a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Was there years ago for the BBQ when Jean Kennedy was ambassador,lovely place.They only had Bud Light though,which was a bit disappointing.
    Probably no Ferrero Roches either.

What a disasterous reception Mrs Ambassador!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Are you sure them souls weren't part of the party? There is a walled "moat" around it with security cameras and those fancy infrared alarm, similar to the presidents gaff, also at the back there is a couple of houses, grounds men and what not, i know this as one of them is my Dad's mate! It's completely enclosed! Maybe you were pissed....

wiki:
    "Deerfield Residence is a large 18th-century building, sitting on 62 acres (250,000 m²) of private grounds in the centre of the Phoenix Park in Dublin"

They were in biking gear with bikes & were on the road at the rear.

I've no doubt that there's alarms etc, but it surprised me how open it was once the bleachers were removed, it would have totally unrestricted views of the park

Advertisement