Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an electric boiler..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where you based? I'd throw in 20 towards it if you would be interested in splitting the use of the wort chiller. I would only need it once every 2 weeks probably less tbh.

I was going to do with you were asking but the idea of homemade electrics with water didn't sit right with me. Plenty of how to's online though if you decide to go with it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Brewery-for-Under-100-STEP-2-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I am up in the hills around Stepaside.

Cheers for the link. I saw a few videos and it looks relatively straight forward, that said having seen the 99euro combo price it makes the cost of buying the bits and assembling ones self not as attractive a proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm in Fairview if you're interested. Yeah I regret not buying one but went with the stainless steel stockpot.

I was in Woodies earlier looking at a conversion unit for my kitchen tap - hose pipe and noticed they 10M x 10MM copper pipe for 30euro. It would make a handy chiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

http://m.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Brewery-for-Under-100-STEP-1-/

http://m.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Brewery-for-Under-100-STEP-2-/?ALLSTEPS

This is what I did , I've done 5 AG batches so far and it's served me well. I can give you instructions for a chiller too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I've built a couple of plastic boilers. It's pretty easy; just drill holes for the element and tap.
    You'll get a kettle element online for a lot cheaper than 27 euro and don't forget you'll need a kettle lead as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I would always go with 2 elements. You can get faster heating to strike/boil temps, very vigorous boils, and if an issue happens with one of your elements, you can still continue on your second as a backup.

Thanks guys. Will review all the links and see what I come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

sharingan wrote: »
    I would always go with 2 elements. You can get faster heating to strike/boil temps, very vigorous boils, and if an issue happens with one of your elements, you can still continue on your second as a backup.

Just a note that you would have to be careful when using two elements since you could easy draw too much current on a single line and start tripping breakers. You would be able to get around this be using different wall plugs which run on different lines but could be a bit of a pain if you have to run long cables to where you brew.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just a note that you would have to be careful when using two elements since you could easy draw too much current on a single line and start tripping breakers.
    You certainly don't want to plug them both into the same socket, such as with a multi-gang extension lead. A 3kW element will draw 13A, which is already in danger of blowing the fuse in the plug; two of those will draw 26A which will trip a 20A breaker.

But then, if you're using a 3kW element, you won't need two of them anyway. I would imagine a 3kW total power output is all you'll need, whether you use one 3kW or two 1.5kW elements. If you go for two 1.5kW elements, I'd still avoid using a single extension lead.
    You would be able to get around this be using different wall plugs which run on different lines but could be a bit of a pain if you have to run long cables to where you brew.
    If you're drawing that much current, I'd be cautious about running long extension leads anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

That's right, if you are going to use an extension lead you'd have to make sure the lead is the right gauge, so it can handle the current without melting. Then you'd have to make sure that the leads don't overlap too much when in use as they could, again, overheat and melt.

I did put a good bit of research into making my own boiler at the start of the year and found that there were small things to think about, like the right sizing of cables above. THB, the make-your-own boiler tutorials using kettle elements scared me because of the exposed wiring and the chances of boil overs. I also wasn't able to track down a plastic bucket that I would have been happy boiling in. In the end I got a pre-made boiler from the Homebrew Company and I'm very happy with. The plastic is really sturdy and the connection to the heating element seems a lot safe enough.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers lads.

I am most likely just going to build my own one. I have a few very sturdy plastic buckets here. I will make a mash tun out of one of them and insulate well.

Advertisement