Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best data only plan for a tablet?

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what the cheapest data only plan for light to moderate usage on my tablet is? It does not need to make calls, just receive 3G or 4G mobile data. I am interested in bill pay or pay as you go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

€15 for 15GB from Tesco maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

boardzz wrote: »
    €15 for 15GB from Tesco maybe?

Cool, that is a €5 step in the right direction from the €20 I pay Vodafone for free texts and data on my personal phone. Anything cheaper, any chance of something like €5 for 5GB? I have checked callcosts.ie but there does not seem to be a data only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Thanks!

My tablet was lost or stolen recently so I am primarily looking for data so I can GPS locate the replacement if the same thing happens again. 1GB per month would take care of this, but if I can get more for the money I will. If anyone knows a cheaper plan or a plan with more data for the same money please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks!

My tablet was lost or stolen recently so I am primarily looking for data so I can GPS locate the replacement if the same thing happens again. 1GB per month would take care of this, but if I can get more for the money I will. If anyone knows a cheaper plan or a plan with more data for the same money please advise.

If your need is just to be able to use a a remote localisation feature, I would just get a tesco mobile prepaid sim with no bundle and 5 euros credit.

These 5 euros will get you going for a while as long as you don't try to locate your tablet constantly and I think Tesco have pretty long credit validity.

Having said that, unfortunately I wouldn't count on this feature too much to find your tablet back if it gets stolen. I had my iPhone stolen a few months ago (grabbed from me by a guy on a bike) - and as soon as the guy lost me he turned off the phone and I never saw it again on find my iphone. I assume most thieves would do the same thing.
    One of my flatmate also lost his phone (or had it stolen, not sure) and he could see it on find my iphone; but it was in a fairly dodgy housing complex where he didn't want to chance going on his own, and the indication was not accurate enough to point the exact appartment to the guards (And I am not sure they would have done anything with no more evidence anyway).

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    If your need is just to be able to use a a remote localisation feature, I would just get a tesco mobile prepaid sim with no bundle and 5 euros credit.

That sounds like it could work, I guess checking email etc when not near WiFi would not use too much data and I could always set Gmail and all apps to only use WiFi and tether to my phone whenever I need to use it for anything.
    These 5 euros will get you going for a while as long as you don't try to locate your tablet constantly and I think Tesco have pretty long credit validity.

I will not be trying to locate the tablet constantly but I think it is emitting its location constantly. If you look at your Google Location History, assuming you have an Android device and you have not disabled the feature, you will see where you have been today on the map.

This either means the GPS is updating Google constantly, although I am not sure how periodically, or that when you check location history it only then goes and retrieves the GPS data from the device?

I wonder how long €5 would last, this would be a much better option than €5 per month although I may risk not knowing the credit runs out etc.
    Having said that, unfortunately I wouldn't count on this feature too much to find your tablet back if it gets stolen. I had my iPhone stolen a few months ago (grabbed from me by a guy on a bike) - and as soon as the guy lost me he turned off the phone and I never saw it again on find my iphone. I assume most thieves would do the same thing.

Sorry to learn you lost your iPhone. Loss, or theft, is the reason for this thread and the reason I am replacing my Nexus 7 with the mobile data version. It was very frustrating to know I could have located it, at least for a limited time, if only it was mobile data capable. I will insure it also, I just do not want to be in a position where I cannot locate it because the device is WiFi only if this ever happens again.
    One of my flatmate also lost his phone (or had it stolen, not sure) and he could see it on find my iphone; but it was in a fairly dodgy housing complex where he didn't want to chance going on his own, and the indication was not accurate enough to point the exact appartment to the guards (And I am not sure they would have done anything with no more evidence anyway).

I understand. If it was somewhere it would be stupid for me to go alone I would call the guards, and I may even just call the guards in the first place and meet them there so they can bear witness, do the dirty work, and in case the thief runs!

To compliment the Google Location History and Android Device Manager features included with the OS I am also going to install Prey and Android Lost to help retrieve if necessary. I am also going to encrypt the contents so I can store sensitive work and personal stuff without worry. I am not sure if it is possible but there may be some way to stop a rooted Android device powering down without entering a PIN etc - this would increase the time it emits the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

At their current rate 5 euros would give you 250MB.

Yes I guess you would have to give it a try and see how much data the location service is using.

Just doing some silly calculations: I assume Google can easily fit GPS coordinates and your device ID in 1KB. Assuming they want to send an update every 10 minutes that is 1440 updates i.e. 1440kb per day. That would be less than 45MB per month.

Big approximations here and no clue whether it fits a real life situation, but I think theoretically 250MB could give you a few months.

But yes the drawback is that you know you can't use cellular data much for anything else and you have to monitor the credit balance on their website.

Anyway hopefully your tablet doesn't get stolen again ;-) ... I definitely understand how annoying it can be.
    The other useful thing about having data service is to be able to remote wipe the device and make sure your data is safe... but even this didn't work in my case as the phone never showed up again. As you mentioned maybe you can install some software to prevent from turning off the tablet/phone - but I think unless you're "lucky" and get a very inexperienced thief, they will remove the battery or the SIM card as soon as they get the chance :-/

I have been asking on the different operators forums here on boards.ie and so far Tesco's €5 credit option seems the best. Although their coverage may not be as good as Vodafone's something I have to consider living outside of Dublin.

Regarding device security I am definitely going to root and encrypt all the partitions on the tablet this time.

Reading your reply about experienced thieves, I do not think it would be absolutely crazy to superglue the SIM card in! Even if they reset it should still connect to the mobile network of the SIM card? There must be IMEI tracking services that would still work even if reset, once the SIM card was still present?

Advertisement