Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POA - Price on Application

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

What is with all these properties saying POA? I saw one I like the look of and a cached google search shows it was 235,000 in April. Our budget is about 250,000 max. What sort of tactics should I think of before calling agent? Does it infer the property couldn't sell at 235,000 and I should go lower if he asks our budget?
    New to house hunting so any advice welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

POA is a pointless term oft used by awkward motherfvckers who need to die in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a way of trying to force properties in to searches for "up to" a specific amount on Daft as far as I can tell from the local agents who do it around here. Hence all my saved searches having been for 5k->my limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

POA usually means it is overpriced.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TheDriver wrote: »
    POA usually means it is overpriced.....

Or there not really intrested in selling and are just testing the waters or telling the bank that it's for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

If you do a search with a specified min and max asking price range I think you only get POA properties that would likely come within that range as well - i.e. if you search with a max asking price of 250,000 you are unlikely to get POA properties that might be expected to sell for half a million or more.

That said I noticed one agent marking properties as POA once they had gone sale agreed and keeping them that way until they were suddenly 'sold'.

• Advertisement

If you do a search with a specified min and max asking price range I think you only get POA properties that would likely come within that range as well - i.e. if you search with a max asking price of 250,000 you are unlikely to get POA properties that might be expected to sell for half a million or more.

No, you won't get any POA properties at all. Daft/Myhome don't have systems to guess what a POA house "might" sell for.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I don't know what info has to be entered in regards to asking price when a property is being set up on either site but I do know that a search on myhome for properties in Dublin with min asking of 150,000 and max asking of 250,000 is currently returning a two bed terrace house in Finglas marked POA (sort the list by price ascending) which doesn't appear on a listing returned for a lower minimum asking. Maybe its some kind of glitch or they've entered it wrong somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

They want to be able to customise the price for each person who inquires based on their accent, appearance and the type of car they land up in

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

It makes absolutely no sense and I find it most annoying and time wasting. Do EA's have so little to do that they want potential buyers calling to ask how much is this or that? If I was selling why wouldn't I want the potential buyers to have an idea of how much I was looking for my property. It's not like the selling price can be hidden now, everything is on propertypriceregister.ie! I'm no marketing guru but I remember day one in marketing class and the 4 P's. (Product, Price, Place & Promotion). Why would you knock it down to 3?

And the very worst thing about it is that the property I am looking for at the price I can afford might be denied to me and hidden behind a POA advertisement. I just don't get it!

I anyone could help me come to terms with it I'd be genuinely grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Never include POAs in my property searches, if you can't be bothered telling me your asking price I can't be bothered considering your property!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't start me on the ppr, i find EAs use the "ah there was also cash involved" line to make us believe the price achieved for house down the road was higher. With same stamp duty rate now, don't think anyone would deal cash anymore

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't start me on the ppr, i find EAs use the "ah there was also cash involved" line to make us believe the price achieved for house down the road was higher. With same stamp duty rate now, don't think anyone would deal cash anymore

The response to that is "so, are you admitting being complicit in defrauding Revenue?". Usually shuts them up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm personally aware of several estate agents who move properties onto POA- when an offer is put on them- aka, they use it as a holding position, until such time as contracts are signed.

Advertisement